Newbie Questions

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Newbie Questions

Postby Capebuild » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:11 am

Other than my introduction post this will be my 1st post asking a few questions.
Thank you in advance for your help... any direction and thoughts are appreciated.

1) Are there any advantages to skinning your trailer with aluminum as opposed to leaving it plywood. Or is it purely a personal preference?

2) When trailer dimensions are noted (like 5'X8'). Is that referring to outside dims or inside? Does “bed size” drive the dimension of a trailer?

3) Tire size- what factors should one consider when choosing a tire / wheel size for instance 13” vs 15”. I'm assuming one factor could be the terrain
one plans to travel on (back woods rough terrain vs just highway) and larger tires allowing more clearance, for example.

4) I realize in order to register your trailer for use on the road, requirements will need to be met...... how do I find out what the requirements are for my state (I’m in Massachusetts).
I’m interested to know what things I should be aware of regarding being able to register the rig (good to know these things BEFORE I build it).
If I build my own frame, is there anything I need to be aware of regarding that?
What do I need to know about registration issues?

Again, thanks very much for your insights and help. I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I continue planning my trailer build.
I'm truly amazed at the builds I see here on the forum....works of art! I'm so glad to have found this forum.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Newbie Questions

Postby noseoil » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:44 am

1 - Durability. The plywood needs some type of coating or it will de-laminate & come apart due to sun, wind, rain & snow.
2 - Typically, they are the outside dimensions of the "box" as it sits on the frame. A full size mattress will fit in a 5x9, as it only requires 54" to fit. Design around the mattress size first to see what room is left for other stuff.
3 - 15" tires are better, in general, as they turn fewer rpms at highway speeds. Thy will step over bumps & rocks better when off road.
4 - State-specific requirements & that's why a lot of people use a Maine registry. If you home build the frame, keep receipts & get a license plate on it prior to building the camper, it's easier that way.
5 - Take a look at the build section & see what others have done on their builds. Lots of talent out there to learn from...
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GTS225 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:48 am

Capebuild wrote: 2) When trailer dimensions are noted (like 5'X8'). Is that referring to outside dims or inside? Does “bed size” drive the dimension of a trailer?

The given dimensions are usually referring to exterior measurements. However, bed size can very well be a deciding factor in trailer size. A queen size bed is 60 inches wide, thus, one would have to calculate bed width and wall thickness (times 2) to end up with your overall trailer width.

Capebuild wrote: 3) Tire size- what factors should one consider when choosing a tire / wheel size for instance 13” vs 15”. I'm assuming one factor could be the terrain
one plans to travel on (back woods rough terrain vs just highway) and larger tires allowing more clearance, for example.

Yes, tire size does play a large part here. Planned travel terrain, more clearance, even interchanging between tow vehicle and camper.
Things to consider; Can I use the two vehicle's spare on the camper?
How heavy is the loadedtrailer?
Highway and gravel, off-road, or way off-road?
The smaller the tire's diameter, the faster it has to turn to cover the same distance as the tow vehicle's tires, thus the spindle and hub bearings are seeing harder use. (That's why you see so many small trailers along the side of the road with a wheel off of it.) Smaller-tired trailers will require bearing servicing more often. If you can build or buy with taller tires, so much the better.

Capebuild wrote: 4) I realize in order to register your trailer for use on the road, requirements will need to be met...... how do I find out what the requirements are for my state (I’m in Massachusetts).
I’m interested to know what things I should be aware of regarding being able to register the rig (good to know these things BEFORE I build it).

This is a state-by-state thing. My suggestion is to consult with your local DMV office, or search on the state's website for the regs. I know that here in Iowa, one can build a trailer of less than 1000 lbs, and not be required to have it inspected, and it can get registered and plated, but no ownership title issued. In Massachusetts, there may be a bigger problem with trailer theft than here, and the state may require a manufactured trailer, not homebuilt, before it can be registered/titled/plated, I don't know. Be aware.....some states differentiate between a cargo or utility trailer, and a camping trailer. If Mass. requires an inspection of the completed trailer before registration, there may be a cost issue, or even equipment issue between camping and utility uses.

Capebuild wrote:If I build my own frame, is there anything I need to be aware of regarding that?

Check about insurance issues on trailers. If the state requires insurance coverage, will your insurance provider cover a homebuilt trailer? Some have had difficulties concerning this. Again, a state-by-state issue.

Good luck.....Roger
GTS225
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:55 am

John:

You've got good responses, but I'll jump in on one of your questions.

2) When trailer dimensions are noted (like 5'X8'). Is that referring to outside dims or inside? Does “bed size” drive the dimension of a trailer?

A foam queen-sized mattress (60" wide) fits fine inside a 5'-wide teardrop.

Ours is 57-3/4" wide on the interior.

Your brain is starting to do the builder dance. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:23 am

thank you all for the replies and your thoughts.

I think 15 inch tires it is.... and will go with the aluminum skin.

Need to do a bit of research on the registration issues. I want to feel educated and comfortable with all that before getting too far along
so I don't have a "wish I had known that before" sensation.

Tony, just ordered your book last week which should arrive today. Looking forward to that read.

Thank you all again.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:27 am

Tony, just ordered your book last week which should arrive today. Looking forward to that read.

Thanks. I'm not shy about answering questions. So have at me.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby booyah » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:34 am

Capebuild wrote:Other than my introduction post this will be my 1st post asking a few questions.
Thank you in advance for your help... any direction and thoughts are appreciated.

1) Are there any advantages to skinning your trailer with aluminum as opposed to leaving it plywood. Or is it purely a personal preference?

So it is absolutely weather resistance and protection.
That said I have had mine epoxied benroy in the michigan weather for about 4 years with no wear issue. Its painted for UV protection three coat epoxy with fiberglass over any joins and edges. No leaks no visible weathering, and its been great. I opted for this over aluminum as I have heard of aluminum hiding weather damage, and trapping water underneath.

Usually this is the external dimensions of the box, not including tongue or wheels. you can (barely) fit a queen bed in a 8x5 if you have a small galley and no headboard cupboards

Again, thanks very much for your insights and help. I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I continue planning my trailer build.
I'm truly amazed at the builds I see here on the forum....works of art! I'm so glad to have found this forum.

Welcome aboard its a great ride. I say look at as many builds as you can and take the parts you like for your own purposes!
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby Dahlia47 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:28 pm

For any wood you use, I strongly recommend sealing it. I bought a used homemade travel trailer about 2 yrs ago, and I have probably replaced close to half the wood. It rotted. I am in the middle of replacing the front lower panel. I'll post pics when I am done with it. I dont mind doing the small repairs. The wood I have replaces I sealed. So far, no problems with rot in those.
The starting with the bed idea is a good idea. I have seen videos and pics of builds that were centered around the bed. The bed is where you are going to eat, sit, and sleep. Then you can find out where the rest should go. What the size of the items should be, where they go. And storage. Under the bed is a great place for storage.
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:10 pm

It rotted.

OSB?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:07 am

Our build was in Tucson, so there wasn't much humidity to deal with 90% of the time. In spite of this, ours received 2 coats of urethane (regular floor polyurethane from Home Delay) prior to skinning with the 0.040" aluminum, to deal with water vapor under the skins. An ounce of prevention...
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby breb » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:49 am

Hi John
During my build process it became apparent to me that I would insure my build. Between building materials and equipment or components it add up monetarily. That was the start of registering my Teardrop. In the state of Wisconsin any trailer under a 3000 LB. weight is exempt from registration. This was the way I was headed to begin with. Then I consulted my Insurance agent and at the begging they said we don't see any problem. Nice selling pitch! Well that was the beginning of , Oh we need a vin no. off your trailer. Ok now I need to register with the state .
They need receipts for all materials on build and a payment on taxable items . lets just say that whole process here took from August of 2019 to November of 2019. first they sent me a vin no. plate which needed to be affixed to trailer and that needed to be confirmed by a local police officer . Plates came later . After this all took place I sent in vin to my insurer and I get a call from insurer that there not sure the under writers will insure the trailer. Yes I was livid! In the end it was insured. A little bit of a headache. This is all hindsight and past. It gives you an idea of what I needed to do here. Don't let this stop you but aid you in the process.
I built a drop floor for storage and for sitting inside the trailer . I have three section mattress/cushions and the lid of the drop floor serves as the seat. Foam factory supplied the foam and we cut
total size adding up to 57x76 , 7 inch depth, 3 sections. The sections, we covered with upholstery fabric with zipper. In my initial drawings I approximated the interior for those dimensions, actually laying on the floor and saying i need so much for my size/height to be comfortable. Should say that my walls are cored 1/2" ply outer 3/4" Polar core - core openings insulated and 1/4"ply inner wall . All ply is baltic birch 5'x5' sheet stock , my choice for material. I used 14" wheels on a torsion axle with electric brakes. Rolling frame made by me. I used coil stock Aluminum 5' wide for skin ,bought locally.
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Capebuild » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:08 am

Thanks all for your comments.
I'll probably build my own frame/chassis so I'm trying to get educated and find out as much as I can prior to starting....so thanks, Breb, for sharing your experience in that area (beautiful trailer, by the way).

And I had been considering if sealing the wood sides with some variety of sealant was a good idea, so thanks, Dahlia 47 and Noseoil, for your comments on that.

Every time I log on I realize more information. Thanks!

John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:45 am

Size of trailer?
Queen + Head toe dog's kitchen water clothes food ice chair's bike's :thinking:

Tire size?
Heavy duty (Big) bearing spindals
I Settled on 14" :R
It was much harder to find a perfect set of three then I thought it would be.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby breb » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:17 pm

HI John
I will say also that I did seal all Ply with the Mix ( 25% spar varnish and 75% mineral spirts) even when I had spars in and the inside ceiling . I sealed the core where you would put your ceiling insulation. A little extra precaution on the water intrusion . I had the time to do it . Same for the floor top and bottom before I put flooring in and also bottom side which was also flowed by 2 coats of rubber roofing. ( rolled and bushed). Here are some photos of the inside seat and out side.

breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Dahlia47 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:21 pm

tony.latham wrote:
It rotted.

OSB?

Tony

What is OSB?
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Next