Smallest self contained awning.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Smallest self contained awning.

Postby PrivatePilot » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:46 pm

Hey all - So...awnings.

Our Helio o2 (tiny trailer, not a teardrop) has a keder rail awning setup using good old fashioned poles and guylines.

It works and it's surprisingly large.

But it's a pain in the bum to setup. And since we boondock a lot, it's also not viable to even put out some of the time if there's not a good soft surface to put in tent pegs, etc.

Is anyone here savvy as to what's the smallest self contained awning that attaches to the trailer directly and cantilevers off the trailer itself versus needing poles and such?

Thanks all!
PrivatePilot
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Smallest self contained awning.

Postby gudmund » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:32 pm

I just got done installing a '23Zero Peregrine180R' side awning to my tear. It is attached/mounted to the roof rack. It gives 180 degree of coverage to the one side of the trailer (not over the trailer) being 'fixed' mounted to the rack, it only takes about 2 minutes to un-zip the cover and swing out the support arms getting about 60 sq ft of shade cover. (14 long with the center area being about 5x5ft over the trailer door side area. Being this is their smaller version, it can be left open without supports even with slite winds (it did also came with the supports if needed) This is the small version of their Full size Peregrine180 (which is 20 ft long extending out 6.5ft giving 88sq ft of shade coverage) This smaller 180R version I just got here, can be mounted off the backend of a jeep for tailgate coverage. (it can also be side covered - enclosed - with the ''zipper attaching side cover kit' you can purchased from them - mine just arrived a-few hours ago). What I like about it is the being able to have shade for just 'a few minutes' or a few days along with putting it away in just a few minutes................. :applause: PS "23Zero" company is out of Australia and seems to be a very well made item - so far, I have been very happy with what I have received and installed..........They also carry other versions covering a-lot more 'shade' area than the one I bought.................
gudmund
500 Club

Postby lfhoward » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:07 pm

I have a ShadeMaker bag awning (slides into keder rail) and an awning room for it. I have the smallest size which is 6’ wide and extends 8’ out from the trailer. It is less expensive than popular vehicle awnings and awning rooms you see online, and it’s made in USA.

My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby PrivatePilot » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:31 am

Thanks guys - looking into both!
PrivatePilot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DWT77 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:13 pm

gudmund wrote:I just got done installing a '23Zero Peregrine180R' side awning to my tear. It is attached/mounted to the roof rack. It gives 180 degree of coverage to the one side of the trailer (not over the trailer) being 'fixed' mounted to the rack, it only takes about 2 minutes to un-zip the cover and swing out the support arms getting about 60 sq ft of shade cover. (14 long with the center area being about 5x5ft over the trailer door side area. Being this is their smaller version, it can be left open without supports even with slite winds (it did also came with the supports if needed) This is the small version of their Full size Peregrine180 (which is 20 ft long extending out 6.5ft giving 88sq ft of shade coverage) This smaller 180R version I just got here, can be mounted off the backend of a jeep for tailgate coverage. (it can also be side covered - enclosed - with the ''zipper attaching side cover kit' you can purchased from them - mine just arrived a-few hours ago). What I like about it is the being able to have shade for just 'a few minutes' or a few days along with putting it away in just a few minutes................. :applause: PS "23Zero" company is out of Australia and seems to be a very well made item - so far, I have been very happy with what I have received and installed..........They also carry other versions covering a-lot more 'shade' area than the one I bought.................

Does your hatch get in the way of the straps that tighten the awning arm?
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby gudmund » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:56 pm

was concerned about that also, but last nite I was able to open it for the first time and found that when I open the galley hatch it does pushes up a bit more into the strap, but in a "good" way = it ends up 'snugging up/tightening up' the whole setup just a bit more which works out fine. Both straps - F&R - I am able to pull back to the opposite end of each roof rack bar for the hook connection - and as I said, opening the door does push up on the rear strap but not as much as I was thinking it would. Wish I could show a picture but everything is packed up right now for the trip starting in a day or so. I am planning on trying 'elastic bungy cords' instead of the pull straps they sent with the awning = have read that some people like them better - we'll see?? :thinking: So far this '23Zero Peregrine 180R awning looks 'good'!! I was told by the company that sold it to me that it was the older model 'without' the new 'LST' sun shade material -BUT- after 'reading/seeing their video' about the new material they are using = this one does have it!! same with the sidewall kit I bought for it. After seeing this one totally unfolded = I am so glad to have found it before purchasing the one I was planning on buying - was thinking all of the 180degree models were 20 feet long unfolded - I like this one so much better with it only being 14 feet long = for me alone, this size will be "just" fine............www.trail4runner.com/2020/08/03/23zero-peregrine-180r-awning did a good review on the mounting of one.........166066did get this picture of my trailer after I got the roof-rack installed with the awning mounted (just didn't have room to open it than to check it out fully erected) will try to remember to 'report' back here a month from now on how everything worked out................. :beer:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Spotman » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:58 am

Ifhoward, where did you buy yours? They are sold all over the place with different prices! I have a teardrop.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby lfhoward » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:10 pm

Spotman wrote:Ifhoward, where did you buy yours? They are sold all over the place with different prices! I have a teardrop.

Hi Spotman,

We got our ShadeMaker awning & awning room from: https://www.rvworkshop.com/

There is another seller out there that can have the awning room tailored to your trailer’s height if you want. They are: https://www.rvawningsrus.com/

We went with RV Workshop because they were local to where we live and we could get the awning in white to match our trailer. Since we have a tall trailer, hemming the awning room was not an issue for us.

We love our awning & side room. It is our kitchen on most trips, but it can also be configured to have a couple of cots if we are camping with friends.

Here is a video of the install that I found helpful. (The model of awning in the video is a bit larger and fancier than mine but there is good detail there.) https://youtu.be/i23HunDzj4g
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Spotman » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:39 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. This is very helpful and so is the video. Temporary awning to start.Image

2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby gudmund » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:38 pm

after my month-long 5215mile trip = the new '23Zero 180R Awning worked out "GREAT!!" and as well as it worked, the plan now is to buy another for the other side. A question had been asked about whether there was any problem with the rear hatch door of the trailer when connecting the awning 'pull strap' when it is opened. I ended up using 4ft 'metal hook ended' bungee cords the whole trip being they worked so well!! (never used the 23Zero suppled straps) the bungee cords ended up just being so much easier to use with just having to hook each end when opening - with them 'basically' keeping constant tension and 'automatically' adjusting themselves. (the suppled straps - when I tried them - seemed to be a pain being I had to be constantly readjusting them) The question was asked about the rear hatch and interference with the pull-straps when opening = by using the bungee corded strap instead, there never was a problem between the two being the bungee would just stretch a bit more when the door was opened into it. 166575166577166576 I know these awnings are 'not' cheap to buy = but I now am living on the $$$ I saved for my retirement when working = it is now my time to spent it, "so why not go for it" !!!!!! :twisted: :thumbsup: :beer: take care and stay safe...............166579
Last edited by gudmund on Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby drhill » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:05 pm

On the side of our teardrop I use an awning track and a home built awing. It is supported by poles but no guy line are required. The top is supported by two fiberglass poles crossed in the middle and inserted into pockets sewn in each corner of the top. There were some detailed instructions on this site at one time but I can't find them now. Very easy to make. I used an old tarp I had to make a prototype. Next step was to spend a few dollars on some coated nylon, but so far the old tarp is working just fine. If it is windy, then a peg is required at the bottom of each of the two pole to prevent the wind from lifting it. I use 8" spiral nails. Store bought tent pegs just bend.

drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby twisted lines » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:00 pm

drhill wrote:On the side of our teardrop I use an awning track and a home built awing. It is supported by poles but no guy line are required. The top is supported by two fiberglass poles crossed in the middle and inserted into pockets sewn in each corner of the top. There were some detailed instructions on this site at one time but I can't find them now. Very easy to make. I used an old tarp I had to make a prototype. Next step was to spend a few dollars on some coated nylon, but so far the old tarp is working just fine. If it is windy, then a peg is required at the bottom of each of the two pole to prevent the wind from lifting it. I use 8" spiral nails. Store bought tent pegs just bend.

Nice Table :twisted:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby gudmund » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:48 pm

the second 23Zero 180R awning is now installed on the other side = I like it!!! No more so-called 'EZ-up' to deal with = now instant shade in less than 2/3 mins at any time - with either side ............... 166576 :thumbsup:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby dbhosttexas » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:40 pm

Not a complete answer to your inquiry, but if the issue is having anchor points to guylines, why not do what us EZ Up owners do to protect them from winds and anchor off to weighted bags, 5 gallon buckets filled with creek water, whatever is heavy and would take a hurricane to move...

Depending on your trailer rigging and the poles, you could, if using extendible poles, maybe anchor the poles to something akin to flag pole holders at the bottom edge of the trailer? Just a thought, maybe a dumb one, but a thought...
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby gudmund » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:18 am

EZ-up's are fine when camping with people groups/couples but after 8 years of teardrop camping, for one person alone = they can just be a real pain. Have done the weighted corners - stacking down and all of that = I just am not doing it any longer.... (do still have a couple of nice ones -BUT- buying 'nicer' ones even got to be a even bigger pain - being of a bigger-nicer size = it just equated to more weight being packed in/out/carried and like I said, with most of the time camping alone = never doing the 'set-up/take down' do to the hassle. And Yes, these 'new' mounted side awnings were not "$cheap$" -but- being now "officially" old after doing my 'time'(prison work=31yrs) saving for retirement when working and finally now being retired, I took the 'awning' $$jump$$ and am sold on this new set-up!!!!..... PS: I do plan on keeping my smallest' basic E'Z up (the 8x8 64sq ft) being it is light enough to be handled by one person and easily stored away for stand-by use if/when needed...... take care
gudmund
500 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion