Bob's caboose build

Lets talk tiny houses, tumbleweeds etc on wheels

Re: Bob's caboose build

Postby Gold5one » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:15 pm

Was it the same kind of pepper, Acme brand, that Wiley coyote used on the road runner? :cry:
I saw raccoon early one morning before work, trying to chew a hole into my attic in Indianapolis. --almost 20 yrs ago-
I made an electrical trap to give the varmint a hot foot, so she never tried to come back again. .
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:05 am

When the puppies were little they were using the antique furniture as chew toys. I made a paste of vegetable oil and red pepper.... THEY QUIT almost immediately :lol:

Then they got even.......

:rofl2:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Gold5one » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:54 pm

I have a neighbor down the street with that breed of dog. One morning he came by as I was putting mail in the box at the end of the driveway.
Freddie wanted a treat- I had none with me, so I went into the house for one, actually two. He watched me come and go. His jaws were really strong and he made quick work of those milk bone biscuits.
The next day the pooch planted his butt at the end the of the drive way and started barking, for His Treat. He would not budge!
So we ended up with a routine for several weeks, he barked and I got up and delivered his doggie treat. Talk about a dogs life.
I got a job a few weeks later and wasn't home, but he seemed to know that and my wife said Freddie didn't stop and bark!
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:34 am

At 70 with bad knees I am starting to really hate ladders. Despite these factors I found myself up and down ladders many times in the last 2 weeks. Staining the interior trim. Painting the interior side of the doors. Electrical changes and additions. Heck I even went to the roof line to paint the front end of the barrel roof that we missed when we repainted. I am starting to fear this "hobby" will outlive me ! I lost my best helper for the winter and now he is heading to Florida to live :cry: I have learned to work a day and heal a day and things get slower and slower to complete Oh well I have what ever time I have left to play with my Hobby :D

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby working on it » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:35 am

bobhenry wrote:
  • 1) At 70 with bad knees I am starting to really hate ladders....
  • 2) I have learned to work a day and heal a day and things get slower and slower to complete....
  • 3) Oh well I have what ever time I have left to play with my Hobby....

* 1) Yep, I know the feeling; at 70 also, with the bad knees and back, and sciatica, I usually let my wife go up on the roof with me (she's only 56), just in case I trip/fall. I also have vertigo, every few months....

* 2) Working upright doesn't cause me lasting pain so much (I can push-mow the 1/2 acre with her help, spelling me for 15 minutes at a time, so recovery time is overnight); but when I have to work on my cars or trailer (my ex-hobby), usually subjecting my body to repeat up-down-up again cycles, leaning into the engine bay for long periods of time, or worse, doing brake jobs, starter replacements, etc, where I must crawl under for longer periods, my recovery time can last weeks (my wife never helps there). But, honey-do's must be done even if I can barely move....

* 3) My (auto/trailer) hobby is now a chore; even camping has been limited to 1-2 times a year, now. I wish I had retired sooner (at 62, before the injuries became so bad...I retired at 65.5, after the knees/back/sciatica became too much to bear with 12-16 hour days, and hardly any help).... Oh well, it is what it is! Keep at it, bobhenry ! I intend to, myself, as long as possible....
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gold5one » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:41 pm

Guys, I too have become officially and elderly person= I celebrated the 2nd anniversary of my 35th birthday last year, but this year I will be 71 and I haven't figured out how to make a joke about that. I find myself spending more time planning, just so I only have to do the work one time.
I was raised on a farm and most everybody over 60 had aches and pains and it was just the way it was, so no use complaining about it.
Last year was a sedate year= no adventuring away from my home base. I hope to rectify that this year. Monday I got home from a 6 day, 2800 mile round trip to see the grandkids and did a 15 hr drive on the last day back home. I can still drive the miles.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:04 am

Needs a bit more drywall work and paint but the trim is up !

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ParTaxer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:12 am

Looking good Bob!
I have wisdom beyond my years. In fact, I'm nearly senile.
ParTaxer
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:39 am

The motor on the ceiling fan is a bit wanky ??? It has 2 missing speeds and a light socket that was damaged so off I went last night and purchased three ceiling fans for $45.00. One has to be a $140.00 +/- unit it is gorgeous . So this weekend I get to uninstall and install the ceiling fans in the caboose. I love cheap !

Here is the new $15.00 yard sale find with all speeds and works great......Image
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:27 am

Well it was wet and hot outside so I played inside. With the air conditioner on full blast I enjoyed indoor work for the afternoon. I started the caboose 6/6/2012. So for nine years I have been staring at an unfinished ceiling. NOPE ! It is not done but I took some steps towards that end. If you remember I had to tear out most of the foam board I had used when the squirrels moved in. I finally found where they were getting in. I installed metal mending plates over there entrances after filling the holes with cayenne pepper. I purchased some R 38 fiberglass blanket insulation and installed it. I placed 1 x 6 nailers every two feet from side to side thru all 6 cavities. These will very shortly be utilized to attach some 1/8 inch luan and finally some antique style ceiling tiles. I have all the supplies on hand and at the ready the tiles were a yard sale find, 110 of them. There retailed at $4.00 each ( OUCH) I was able to get 110 of them for $100. The insulation was about $90.00. So my ceiling will be about $250.00 when complete but I had to wait and be sure my squirrel barriers were adequate. You will get a good laugh at me for as I installed each blanket I liberally coated each billet with cayenne pepper on the up side. Despite being extremely careful in the install I was occasionally showered with a bit of my squirrel repellant ( the pepper) I hope that if they get in, their eyes will water as well as mine and the sneezing fits are also enjoyed. What rained down on my bare sweaty arms and the back of my neck burned like crazy also. I will get some pictures as I proceed and update as I go. :beer:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby godskid » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:43 pm

Oh my!! That stuff (pepper) doesn't sound like fun to work with! Hope it truly keeps your squirrels at bay.
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:28 pm

Work or not the sub ceiling is in. R 38 blanket under the R 5 on the roof under the EPDM The luan is in place and I found 60 sq ft of foam antique look glue down ceiling tiles. The sub-ceiling was a PITA to get in, but it is done. I am ready to do a grid layout of how the 19 1/2 inch ties will lay in. P.S. I hate ladders ! :fb

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby rebapuck » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:54 am

Love those tiles. If the ceiling is to be painted, maybe do that before installing. Less ladder work.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby godskid » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:54 pm

Oh, but those tiles beg NOT to be painted, if you can avoid it! They're gorgeous !!

Deb
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:04 am

THIS WAS POSTED DECEMBER 14TH 2011.........Image

I made it in before the 10 year rule... I may be slow but I have an excuse I am old too !

This was actually installed on the she shed at the land lady's request but I am stoked to get the one done to service the tiny houses. As the 275 gallon IBC tank is setting empty for the second year.
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext

Return to Tiny Houses on wheels