Bad Gas Can Design

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: Bad Gas Can Design

Postby fishboat » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:29 pm

I own two of the cans discussed here. Trying to help you guys out..rather than following up on what I suggested, it appears having something to rant about has more value. No $10 purchase needs to be made. The spout doesn't have to be stored inside the gas can(I agree..that's a pita, but it isn't necessary) and letting the vapor out of a heat-bloated can doesn't blow gas droplets everywhere..I just released the pressure from a can a few minutes ago..no mess..no drama..pretty uneventful.

The adjustment takes less than 2 minutes, takes virtually no tools(a dental pick or small screwdriver), it's free...look it up...or rant away..whichever makes you feel better.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby western traveler » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:10 pm

Or a guy could just post the link.

[youtube] https://youtu.be/62c-3mPN9rs[/youtube]
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:12 pm

fishboat wrote:I own two of the cans discussed here. Trying to help you guys out..rather than following up on what I suggested, it appears having something to rant about has more value. No $10 purchase needs to be made.

So, how much did you pay for those gas cans? And, which government agency do you work for?

I found returning my can and getting my $28 back made more sense than modifying it. If I just wanted the nozzle for this defective product, they were $10 at the ACE hardware store.

Anyway, the purpose of posting was to warn folks. Seriously. If you're happy paying about twice what you oughta be, and then modifying the product to defeat the "safety" features, that's fine by you.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby fishboat » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:05 am

So much drama.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/automotive/automotive-tools-shop-equipment/midwest-can-2-gallon-gas-can/2310/p-1444439611361.htm

Life is short..being angry all the time is really a waste of energy and time..bye..be happy.
fishboat
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:08 am

Hey, whatever man

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/lawn-and-garden/outdoor-power-equipment/gas-cans/7797590

Meanwhile, here's a Canadian company's water can, sold by Amazon (but also way too expensive for what it is)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MTI0GA?pf_rd_r=KG3SMVE8H4HYSHDD4BAE&pf_rd_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8&pd_rd_r=1651fd7b-9e78-4469-ae3a-af71adf50c0f&pd_rd_w=yTU6G&pd_rd_wg=SMIh5&ref_=pd_gw_unk

The picture looks vaguely familiar

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/scepter-4wd-vented-gas-can-20-l-0283056p.html#srp

Gee, I wonder if Americans, who aren't allowed to buy Canadian gas cans, might buy Canadian water cans and mis-use them... :thinking:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:52 pm

So I live across the St Lawrence from Kingston. When the border opens, do you think the US border agents will confiscate it?
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:07 pm

western traveler wrote:Or a guy could just post the link.

[youtube] https://youtu.be/62c-3mPN9rs[/youtube]

Yep. Would have been a nice gesture at least. :roll:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby MtnDon » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:17 pm

Gee, I wonder if Americans, who aren't allowed to buy Canadian gas cans, might buy Canadian water cans and mis-use them... :thinking:

Who is going to stop the purchase?

I believe the 2009 rule banned the manufacture in the US of the old-style can and the sale of them in the US. But I have never read that I have to turn in any non-conforming cans no matter when or where purchased.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Modstock » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:05 pm

Those new cans are a joke, almost making it a two person job.
I was able to find brand new (old style) military cans a few years ago in 2.5 gallon size.
It helps to have a smaller size to put on the roofrack and to hold up while pouring. Holding a heavy 5 gal jug for awhile sucks.

A bunch of jeepers here snatched them up while they were available.

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby western traveler » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:45 am

So while on this topic I thought I would toss this out.
A buddy and I were deep in the backcountry late last year. The closest gas station was many miles away so we hauled about 60 gallons of fuel into our base camp. When it came time to fuel I was about to lift a 6 gallon jug when he stopped me and brought out a 12v electric fuel pump with hoses. Plugged it into his dash power outlet and we filled our tanks.
When I got back I hit the local Napa store and built one for about $60. I use alligator clips and now able to fuel the truck, tractor (no longer have to stand on the 3 point hitch), boat, Jeep etc without lifting a big can and no more spills.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:21 pm

Geez, your Gummint sure did a number on you blokes, eh?
I had a quick look. We can still buy the basic fuel can with spout and breather.
Heck, we can even by the original 1930's style steel jerry can with clamp on spout.
They don't have WD (War Department) stamped on them like mine do, but otherwise look pretty darn close.

Give it ten years, every thing will be electric, then we won't have this problem. :roll:
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby rebapuck » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:18 pm

I have a round gas can that fits into the center if my spare tire. Bought it twenty years or so ago from Griotts Garage.
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:04 pm

So the govern met regulation was to reduce air pollution, a good thing, the company has a design that does not work and violates the regulation because it is a poor design and was cheap to make. Were it me I would chose one of the military type containers
https://www.amazon.com/military-gas-can/s?k=military+gas+can
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:05 pm

So the govern met regulation was to reduce air pollution...

I was curious... but it's about safety.

"WASHINGTON — A bill tucked into the large spending legislation President Donald Trump signed into law on Sunday will require that portable fuel containers, including plastic gas cans, include "flame mitigation devices" to help prevent explosions from igniting inside them.

The "Portable Fuel Container Safety Act of 2020'' establishes "performance standards to protect against portable fuel container explosions near open flames or other ignition sources" and directs the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to "promulgate a final rule to require flame mitigation devices in portable fuel containers" within the next two and a half years."

I feel safe tonight. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:45 pm

tony.latham wrote:
So the govern met regulation was to reduce air pollution...

I was curious... but it's about safety.

"WASHINGTON — A bill tucked into the large spending legislation President Donald Trump signed into law on Sunday will require that portable fuel containers, including plastic gas cans, include "flame mitigation devices" to help prevent explosions from igniting inside them.

The "Portable Fuel Container Safety Act of 2020'' establishes "performance standards to protect against portable fuel container explosions near open flames or other ignition sources" and directs the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to "promulgate a final rule to require flame mitigation devices in portable fuel containers" within the next two and a half years."

I feel safe tonight. :frightened:

Tony

I thought the EPA rules were around longer than that, but then, when the gasoline from the new can design pored all over my left hand and soaked my sleeve, an eighth of a mile from the nearest water spigot, and then drained from there onto our brand new concrete pad, I was so mad I may not have been thinking straight.

Actually, I suspect it's been a series of ever worsening rules from about 2009 on, possibly a combination of "safety" and environmental. Luckily, I've now procured enough pre-EPA cans to meet our needs for the rest of my life, which I imagine the EPA actuaries rate as a few more weeks at the most! :lol:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Previous

Return to Off Topic