front kitchen?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

front kitchen?

Postby bictonboys » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:41 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows to any designs or builds of trailers with kitchens at the front ,over the drawbar? cheers
bictonboys
Teardrop Inspector

Re: front kitchen?

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:05 pm

I have seen only one. It was a short, half galley and they made the tongue removable for better access. I guess I should ask, why would you want to have a front galley? It is more difficult to use and water intrusion is more likely do to driving in the rain at 65mph.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:33 pm

I have not. But I do see frequent attempts to improve on the age-old teardrop design.

And I have yet to see an improvement. There's a reason the design works so well.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:26 pm

One obvious reason is you want the rear to open up so you can haul an ATV or motorcycle. Mine is like that with a front galley. The galley space is really used for storage and the cooking gets done on a folding table mostly. The tongue is in the way.

I suppose you could make a slide out galley and still be able keep a wide open back door if that's what you want.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bictonboys » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:35 am

thanks for your replies- i am just working on my design and was thinking a front galley might work better for me.Just playing with ideas-I can see the downsides. I was wondering wether when using the galley whilst on the road -when the trailer remains attached to the vehicle- a front galley would be more convenient- would work well with my towing vehicle - a van with a tailgate- tailgate would provide extra shelter from rain ( or sun sometimes!and allow use of the van cargo area. Would also allow galley use on the road without obscuring tail lights or adding to the length of the outfit.I may be looking to solve different issues to some. cheers
bictonboys
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:40 am

Maybe, but I have a van too and the distance between the two required really doesn't give much shelter from the rain when the hatches are up.

Planning is the fun part but you'll never know what you really want until you actually start using it.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:25 am

My #1 flatback will have a 3/4 ish, width chuck box,
I can remove, for hauling bigger stuff,
Perhaps that in the van?

Covered not safe, in the crush zone but covered.
I like the front slide out, Stove, fridge, sink a lot.

TL
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bictonboys » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:17 am

Pmullen503 wrote:Maybe, but I have a van too and the distance between the two required really doesn't give much shelter from the rain when the hatches are up.

Planning is the fun part but you'll never know what you really want until you actually start using it.

I have spent long enough planning! You're right- I could plan forever and still it wouldn't be totally right.
I am going to go with the forward galley- its going to be more of an 'expedition trailer" style than a teardrop and I am borrowing some build ideas from a well known brand- as well as I can understand them- looking forward to getting stuck in.
bictonboys
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:07 am

One thing I've though about retro fitting to mine is a pull out table on full extension slides on the side. Just a table, leaving the space underneath for storage. After 50 yrs. of wilderness camping, all my stuff is small and light - back packable. So I really don't need a "kitchen" just a flat spot to set up my gear. My hatch only goes about 1/2 way down from the roof so there is structure there for side mount extension slides. I have a fold down table in the front galley but that requires me to straddle the tongue so I've been bringing a small fold up table instead. I keep the big cooler (if I bring it) in the van.

I can't remember where I saw it but there was a pickup with a slide out kitchen behind the cab. That unit had a sink, fridge and burners IIRC. Something like that would work if you want a more "kitchen like" cooking setup.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bictonboys » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:42 am

Pmullen503 wrote:One thing I've though about retro fitting to mine is a pull out table on full extension slides on the side. Just a table, leaving the space underneath for storage. After 50 yrs. of wilderness camping, all my stuff is small and light - back packable. So I really don't need a "kitchen" just a flat spot to set up my gear. My hatch only goes about 1/2 way down from the roof so there is structure there for side mount extension slides. I have a fold down table in the front galley but that requires me to straddle the tongue so I've been bringing a small fold up table instead. I keep the big cooler (if I bring it) in the van.

I can't remember where I saw it but there was a pickup with a slide out kitchen behind the cab. That unit had a sink, fridge and burners IIRC. Something like that would work if you want a more "kitchen like" cooking setup.

I like the idea of the slide out table,some of those slides can hold plenty of weight eh? A couple of lockers at the front to hold my equipment would be plenty of space. The lockers will be part of the whole structure ,not separate, maybe with the doors on the diagonal ,following the lines of the drawbar braces, in the position some people mount lockers on the tongue.I would still like to have the drawbar long enough to make a sharp lock. The slide out table could be in the main structure of the camper behind the lockers. I have to conserve as much space as possible as i am hoping to sleep 6 inside ( 4 kids).
bictonboys
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:07 pm

Mine is in the front but it's inside and I can stand up (or sit down) to use it.
However, if you are talking about a teardrop trailer, somebody made a pull-out drawer kitchen set-up in the side of the front. It required a leg at the outer edge when pulled out.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby friz » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:11 pm

My Coleman white gas stoves lives in my tongue box so.........technically its a front galley.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby bictonboys » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:24 am

similar to yours- a bit taller- something like this

Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 13.14.54.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 13.14.54.png (785.03 KiB) Viewed 689 times
bictonboys
Teardrop Inspector

Postby twisted lines » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:50 am

bictonboys wrote:something like this

Here's the one I like.
Attachments
intech.JPG
intech.JPG (29.25 KiB) Viewed 677 times
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bictonboys » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:25 pm

I have just had a look at the video for the Flyer - that slide out kitchen is great! In fact the whole thing is great, the tip out beds are genius- I almost wish I hadn't seen this, as now the design for my trailer will have to go in the bin.
bictonboys
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Non-traditional Designs