What did you do today

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: What did you do today

Postby Capebuild » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:58 am

Prepared for a pre-New Year's Eve feast with some good friends. Fired up the wood fired brick oven and made some pizza appetizers.
They're bringing a leg of lamb which we'll also cook in the brick oven.

And a Happy New Year to everyone!
John
Attachments
pizza.jpg
pizza.jpg (266.66 KiB) Viewed 397 times
oven.jpg
oven.jpg (153.89 KiB) Viewed 397 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:06 pm

We finally have winter weather here in the land of the low latitudes but high altitudes, so I gave up going outdoors to cut firewood, and am contemplating indoor activities for the next few months. Like cleaning the workshop.

First step in any natural disaster is to survey the damage:

167951 167949
167952 167950

OK, that's what I did today: Take pictures. After that, I had no idea how to proceed, so I went upstairs and took a nap.

I could start by throwing the empty boxes away, but that really should be the last step, after I've sorted everything out and put what I can in that nice selection of boxes. A good strategy would be to pile everything that gets thrown away, everything that should go down to the garage, everything that stays, etc. but there isn't enough room available anymore to make the piles. Another possibility would be to simply abandon the property and live in the teardrop.

The real problem, of course, is that neither Shelly nor I can throw anything away that might be useful. So I started small. We had three boxes of used disposable brushes left from the teardrop build. I fired up the band saw and cut off the wooden dowel handles. (Seriously--that's what I did!) I'm reasonably sure we don't need the varnished-soaked sponge parts so those we parted with. So we're down to a single box of dowels.

Another good idea would be to try and make some things out of the scrap. We just bought a 3D resin printer, and we need to keep the room we use it in at around 70 degrees. Much easier to do if we wall off the end of the room with the utility sink. We already have a door from another project. We don't have drywall, but we do have a lot of 1/4" AC plywood that will work fine down there. But we will need studs. Most of my cut-offs are, well, cut-offs; too short for a wall frame. Of course, while buying studs, we should also get a few extra for future projects.... It never gets better, mess-wise!

In my deepest heart-of-hearts, I know how this is eventually going to go: Having no better ideas, I'll haul most of the stuff down to the garage "temporarily." Then, once we have the workshop looking nice (enough), I'll begin to back fill. Of course, the day we get the shop, garage, cabin, and surrounding woods all neat and ship-shape simultaneously will be the day after the apocalypse, or something like that.

Not to sound negative; I'm looking forward to the project! :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:07 pm

Capebuild wrote:Prepared for a pre-New Year's Eve feast with some good friends. Fired up the wood fired brick oven and made some pizza appetizers.
They're bringing a leg of lamb which we'll also cook in the brick oven.

And a Happy New Year to everyone!
John

Happy New Year John! They look good enough to eat! :thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby bdosborn » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:27 am

Yum, that looks crazy good!
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:31 pm

For the days she won't let me use her puller !
Tracker Too' sketch.
Just toying with the shape of the nose waiting for rain :shock:
Today would be a good day for sketchup :lol:
Attachments
Tracker Too.JPG
Tracker Too.JPG (25.75 KiB) Viewed 311 times
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:32 pm

Today I continued to clean out our workshop. Got down to the Jurassic layer, and discovered an old stove!

We bought a new kitchen stove a month or so before heading East last Spring. They wanted $30 to haul away the old one, which looked like it had lots of useful things in it, so we decided to take it apart instead. One of the useful things was this drawer, which we might build into a shop table or tool stand.

Only thing is, it was the broiler, so

That'll confuse someone someday! :lol:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:18 am

We plowed snow...

:thinking:

Well... that's my trophy wife doing the hard work. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:21 am

tony.latham wrote:We plowed snow...

:thinking:

Well... that's my trophy wife doing the hard work. :frightened:

Tony

Must have been the white out that came by a couple of day’s ago now it’s rain :shock:
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:38 pm

popper wrote:Kind of f'd up but with a little silver rtv bead laid on top.. still useful. Like myself!

Probably not a weldable alloy?

Weldable yes/ shine again no.
I cheated and finally caulked it on ;) month's for this job.

run away.JPG
run away.JPG (29.54 KiB) Viewed 212 times

Fit.jpg
Fit.jpg (46.19 KiB) Viewed 212 times
Done.jpg
Done.jpg (59.44 KiB) Viewed 212 times
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TimC » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:23 pm

I took longer to get dressed and undressed for the dog walking tonight than the dog walk took. Burrrr! Windy burrr!
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:50 pm

Today I built a scrap wood bin, out of scrap wood!

168068 168069

Most of the wood is from the teardrop build. Tried to use the scrap that had curves cut in it as much as possible. Got full pieces out of most of it; the missing corner is somewhere in the hatch

The remains from each piece are mostly just the right size to start the stove in the morning.

Shelly asked me to save even the smallest pieces of Baltic birch for her doll house furniture building business, so the bin is for those. We might get some $1 store (now $1.25 according to Shelly) plastic boxes to line it.

The joinery is all left over Kreg screws, helped by old Titebond III. Nice thing about shop furniture is that I can put the screw holes on the outside where they are easier to get to. I couldn't find suitable casters in my junk pile, so I paid $20 for a set from Walmart.

The bin is four feet long because I plan to build a 4 x 8 sheet material shelf unit one of these days, and intend this to go beside it.

In the fight against entropy I'm a happy warrior, though I'm bound to lose in the end. :R

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:09 pm

I built a scrap wood bin, out of scrap wood!

It looks a lot like mine. But mine is full. It's got a least two hundred pounds in it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbs-up:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dbhosttexas » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:51 pm

Sorry guys and gals. Been busy with other tasks. Most notably working on making the house happy.

Determined the failure of the closet rod in the master suite. The rod pocket was mounted to a 14" piece of 1x6 pine that was in turn nailed to the sheetrock wall.

Notice I did NOT mention any studs right?

F#$%ing geniouses that built my house...

So to rix the closet, and continue on the camper build doing silly little things like building the cabinets, or even the structure I need my workshop cleaned up and usable.

The workbench, table saw, and extension wing each had 3' of misc junk stacked on them. giant piles of drawers to be recycled, and heaven only knows what.

The workbench is clear, just gotta get the table saw and floor clear now...

WHile I am in here I am fixing and upgrading stuff. My dust collector is getting upgraded to 5" duct using ABS wyes and split lock ducting. etc...

Hopefully the master bathroom / closet will be ready for priming and paint this weekend?
dbhosttexas
The 300 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:18 pm

dbhosttexas wrote:Determined the failure of the closet rod in the master suite. The rod pocket was mounted to a 14" piece of 1x6 pine that was in turn nailed to the sheetrock wall.

Notice I did NOT mention any studs right?

F#$%ing geniouses that built my house...

Ah, yes: Load bearing dry wall! Shelly and I renovated a house once and discovered similar such marvels. :?

Tom :lol:
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Ottsville » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:39 am

Tom&Shelly wrote: so I paid $20 for a set from Walmart.

Tom

Nice. I have a very similar one in my shop. The downside is with a place to store all the little stuff, sometimes things get kept that never get used.

I find harbor freight moving dollies to be a good source of cheap casters. The dollies often go on sale for less than $10
Ottsville
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion