Need help with tail light wiring.

Anything electric, AC or DC

Need help with tail light wiring.

Postby JasenC » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:40 am

First off, I'm a little dense when it comes to electrical much beyond +/- wires and don't use your tongue as a voltage tester.
The original plan was to wire the camper tail lights to match my "06" GMC which has amber blinkers so I bought a 6" oval red/amber/clear light set.
Now that I'm looking up the 7 pin diagrams I see a few different trailer pin outs, but most prevalent seems to be L turn/stop, R turn/stop as typical and some variations on trailer brake, reverse lights, battery power, I know I'll have to sort this out on the truck.

The question is, is there a way or adapter so I can wire it running/brake, L/R turn, reveres.
I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number.

Build Thread https://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74269
JasenC
The 300 Club

Re: Need help with tail light wiring.

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:43 am

I'm not sure what you mean... but I'm only one cup of coffee into the morning...

My teardropping history involves at least three tow vehicles and three teardrops, so keeping things standard –-so your next rig will also work–– is arguably the way to go. But as I said, I'm not quite grasping your question with my fuzzy brain this morning.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby JasenC » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:46 am

Well I'm just on my 3rd cup of tea, so still behind you.

The plan was to have the trailer lights mimic/function same as my truck, but from that pin out it appears to me that it may not be doable.

169593 169594

JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:53 am

I should put up a sign in my shop, Keep It Simple, Stupid. 'Cause frequently I find myself getting too complex.

That's what I went with on my last build. :thinking: Simple but effective.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby JasenC » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:58 am

KISS is my general operating procedure, but every now and then I go running off all willy nilly with some hair brained idea and no pants.
I've never done any trailer wiring so I didn't realize how this was going to go, but I'm not going to start modifying my trucks wiring to make it work, I just thought is would be a cool feature.

JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby JasenC » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:31 am

Oh and I'm stealing you high mount light set up but with a 3 light ID light, center light for running light, L/R lights for brake/turn.

Should be simple enough :thinking:

JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:44 pm

I go running off all willy nilly with some hair brained idea and no pants.

Geeeze, we could be blood-brothers. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:58 pm

JasenC wrote:First off, I'm a little dense when it comes to electrical much beyond +/- wires and don't use your tongue as a voltage tester.
The original plan was to wire the camper tail lights to match my "06" GMC which has amber blinkers so I bought a 6" oval red/amber/clear light set.
Now that I'm looking up the 7 pin diagrams I see a few different trailer pin outs, but most prevalent seems to be L turn/stop, R turn/stop as typical and some variations on trailer brake, reverse lights, battery power, I know I'll have to sort this out on the truck.

The question is, is there a way or adapter so I can wire it running/brake, L/R turn, reveres.

Sounds like what we did. If so, this is what you want

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-118158-Taillight-Converter/dp/B001GKQZQG/ref=sr_1_32_mod_primary_new?keywords=trailer+2+wire+to+3+wire+converter&qid=1655582035&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sr=8-32

If not, look at "3 wire to 2 wire converter" and read the description. If what you want to do can be done, someone makes a black box to do it.

The figure Tony posted shows the 7 pin output from our Tacoma. I build the Tekonsha box into the tear.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby JasenC » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:05 pm

Thanks T&S :)

That looks like just what I need, you have single handedly saved the entire build from total ruin. lol

I'm stashing the 7 pin junction box into the tongue box keeping it out of the weather as well.

JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby twisted lines » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:51 pm

Rewire the truck?
Look Briefly for the Back up wire, on the truck.
Don't give up if you want it .
Standard RV is Odd ball stuff; if I recall correctly :roll:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:27 pm

Needs to match the tow vehicle, ours is reversed right to left.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby JasenC » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:31 pm

I checked the clocking of the pin out, they match. Seems odd to me there wouldn't be a universal wiring color code, that would be to simple.

And why does every shop vac Mfg have to make their own preparatory hose diameter :x

JasenC
The 300 Club

Postby twisted lines » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:50 pm

They make adapters that go all different way's :NC
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:30 pm

You guys ain't got nothin'.
Acquaintance of my son has a 4th generation Grand Cherokee, the one with the 6.4L V8 in it.
Apparently, those things normally need a setting in the computer initiated for the trailer plug wiring to work. And it works as the 4 wire. Ground, tail light, stop/left, stop/right. There's a module/socket down underneath near the towbar.
Except, that's illegal in Australia, and the Grand Cherokees we get have separate indicators and stop lights, and the plug bit down by the towbar doesn't even exist on his car.
So when he wanted to pull a trailer, and was sick of never getting out the dealership without spending $1000, (literally has never had a bill less than $1000, no matter how minor the service work), he decided he'd get all the bits online and do it himself.
Of course, all the forums only know what works for US vehicles.
So he bought a module that was supposed to convert the OZ wiring back to US 4 wire, so he could plug in a powered module that is supposed to convert that to 7 wire.
Which didn't separate the stop/left, etc.
I suggested to him that perhaps the best option would be to go full ol' skool.
Get some seven wire cable and scotch-lok onto the individual wires going to the talights.
Turns out the wires are too light for that to be a good idea.

By the time he'd wasted a weekend on it, including multiple group calls with my son and me, I concluded that Jeep Cherokees, despite their kick-ass motors, are off my shopping list forever.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby JasenC » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:46 pm

MickinOz wrote:You guys ain't got nothin'.
Acquaintance of my son has a 4th generation Grand Cherokee, the one with the 6.4L V8 in it.
Apparently, those things normally need a setting in the computer initiated for the trailer plug wiring to work. And it works as the 4 wire. Ground, tail light, stop/left, stop/right. There's a module/socket down underneath near the towbar.
Except, that's illegal in Australia, and the Grand Cherokees we get have separate indicators and stop lights, and the plug bit down by the towbar doesn't even exist on his car.
So when he wanted to pull a trailer, and was sick of never getting out the dealership without spending $1000, (literally has never had a bill less than $1000, no matter how minor the service work), he decided he'd get all the bits online and do it himself.
Of course, all the forums only know what works for US vehicles.
So he bought a module that was supposed to convert the OZ wiring back to US 4 wire, so he could plug in a powered module that is supposed to convert that to 7 wire.
Which didn't separate the stop/left, etc.
I suggested to him that perhaps the best option would be to go full ol' skool.
Get some seven wire cable and scotch-lok onto the individual wires going to the talights.
Turns out the wires are too light for that to be a good idea.

By the time he'd wasted a weekend on it, including multiple group calls with my son and me, I concluded that Jeep Cherokees, despite their kick-ass motors, are off my shopping list forever.

Automotive engineers are the spawn of Satan I tell you. Pre 70's rigs, even 70's to a point, were a piece of cake to work on/modify/duct tape back together, now a sensor gets the sniffles and you need a $200 so the diagnostic computer to empty your wallet.

JasenC
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets