Grasshopper Design Question

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Grasshopper Design Question

Postby kirtky97 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:00 pm

Hi, I am starting the process of designing and building a tiny trailer, and am debating what style I want to go with right off the bat.

My biggest inspirations so far are here:
- Sawtooth XL: Love the front half of the trailer, but would like a more robust galley.
- Desert Dawg: Almost exactly what I'm going for, but with more storage over the counter in the galley (preferably without sacrificing too much storage in the interior).
- Brig Johnson's Build: Really like the height and storage box on the front, but the galley is small and doesn't have a hatchback.

I sketched some designs of my ideal trailer build, incorporating elements from a few different styles. Basically, I love the features, dimensions, and hatch-back style of a traditional teardrop but prefer the angular look of a square-drop or grasshopper. I haven't seen any trailers that look exactly like what I want to build, and I'm wondering if there's a reason for that... are there any glaring issues I would face with a design like this? Or does anyone know of anything similar I could base my build on?

Here are my initial sketches. Thanks so much for your help!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13nLAzriWiHplDBLeA9JwEY1Q1G5MsrJn/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MaKsxweBZzMt0E9ruV1_6S405h_Qn8Rf/view?usp=sharing
kirtky97
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Grasshopper Design Question

Postby tony.latham » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:02 pm

are there any glaring issues I would face....

Assuming you have a significant other, you really need two doors. Try getting in and out of your bed from one side--right where the door will be--for three nights and then try making the bed from that side.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Grasshopper Design Question

Postby kirtky97 » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:08 pm

That’s great advice, thank you! I was definitely hoping for one door to keep costs down a bit but that makes a lot of sense.
kirtky97
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Non-traditional Designs