TB II To Thin or Not Too?

Finishes, paints and coatings

TB II To Thin or Not Too?

Postby thatdarncat » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:16 am

Hi Everyone
This is my first PMF on a DCU style camper shell.
My question is, Does anyone have any pros and cons on thinning TBII to help it adhere to plywood easier?
I read somewhere where a company spokesman said that a 5-10% addition of water would not hurt the end results.
Im thinking of doing so, and feel it may help lengthen my working time as I press out wrinkles and iron it as it sets up.
thatdarncat
Teardrop Inspector

Re: TB II To Thin or Not Too?

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:13 am

I thinned TB2 with 10% water on mine and it makes it significantly less viscose.

I rolled a coat on the foam, a coat on the back side of the canvass, applied it, and smoothed it with a Bondo spreader. Once down I rolled on anorher coat of TB2.

I would work about 2' sections at a time and didn't feel rushed in terms of drying time.

Over plywood, I'd coat the wood, coat the canvas, and give the wood one more coat if it looked dry in spots.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby thatdarncat » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:05 am

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense too! Applying it slightly diluted and rolling the plywood, then canvas then re-rolling the plywood once more! Thank you, that's my plan of action!
thatdarncat
Teardrop Inspector

Postby philpom » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:21 pm

I am almost done applying my PMF. Not sure what % I thinned it with water, I used a hand held garden pump sprayer with water in it, used a 1/4" foam roller and plastic tape and bed knives. I ran the fabric through the dryer, wet my foam roller and the glue I had in the paint tray I hit with some water to keep it from drying out. Then I laid the fabric in place and hit it with the sprayer, rolled it back and rolled a heavy dose of TB II directly to the wood (had to blend the water on top in to the glue), put the wet fabric back down and smoothed it out with the tape and bed knife. Once that was done I rolled the top of the fabric with more glue and smoothed it out again. Did this on a sunny day 90f and was not rushed at all. Made sure I was over a surface that didn't matter if it go drips on it. The glue vanished in to the fabric and none worked it's way out from under. The wet fabric helped it to easily penetrate fully.

Dried fully overnight and the result is a rock hard shell over the wood that I feel would be destructive if I attempted to remove it (it's never coming off). I didn't soak the fabric but it was moist all the way through. I plan on a full explanation on how I did it and the results at some point, hope your project goes well.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Return to Skinning secrets