CapeBuild's Cross Country Travel Log

...the place to share tales of your travels and pics of your adventures...

Re: CapeBuild's Cross Country Travel Log

Postby Capebuild » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:16 pm

Meant to also post these pix. One is from the art museum, the other of the stainless sculpture and the last from the 96th floor of the John Hancock building at sundown.

John
Attachments
IMG_7437.jpg
IMG_7437.jpg (96.68 KiB) Viewed 800 times
IMG_7468.jpg
IMG_7468.jpg (147.53 KiB) Viewed 800 times
IMG_7493.jpg
IMG_7493.jpg (164.91 KiB) Viewed 800 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby cjlangellier » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:54 pm

Capebuild wrote:...It’s called Cloud Gate.

The lake is really, really huge. The water where we are is fresh and clean with nice sandy beaches …. Almost like being at the Cape’s bay. Went swimming…. Beautiful!

Last night around 1AM we got up to visit the facilities and bumped into 2 very large and somewhat friendly raccoons rummaging around in our privacy tent.

John

You're hitting all the highlights Cloud Gate (or more affectionately known locally as "The Bean"), Lake Michigan, and our well fed furry friends the raccoons! :lol:

The blue "clean" water of Lake Michigan is thanks in no small part to 30 years of Zebra Mussel invasion. They've done a pretty good number on the ecosystem, but the lake is stunning when the sun is out.
Cody - Westmont, IL

5x11 Teardrop
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73740
6x12 Cargo Trailer/Ice Shanty/Toy Hauler
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=73743
cjlangellier
Teardrop Master

Postby Tom&Shelly » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:20 pm

Capebuild wrote:Sunday we rode the train from Mundelene to downtown Chicago.

Hi John, we may be looking for a campsite near a short train ride to Chicago next Spring. Where did you camp and how did you like it? Thanks in advance!

Great travel log! Hope the leak in the window isn't too bad.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby cjlangellier » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:56 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:

Hi John, we may be looking for a campsite near a short train ride to Chicago next Spring. Where did you camp and how did you like it? Thanks in advance!

Tom

Hey Tom. Check out Camp Bullfrog Lake in Willow Springs. You can hop on the Heritage Corridor Metra line in Willow Springs and take that all the way to Union Station in Chicago. We've camped at Bullfrog lake a couple times. It's a very nice campground for being so near the city. It's within the Paw Paw Woods Nature Preserve, there are a number of trails in and around the preserve, a few that leave straight from the campground.
Cody - Westmont, IL

5x11 Teardrop
cjlangellier
Teardrop Master

Postby rjgimp » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:12 pm

Capebuild wrote:Monday morning we left Mundelene and traveled to Sheboygan Wisconsin where Kohler-Andrae State Park is located. I’ll say this park is one of the nicest we’ve been to. Large wooded sites, not too close to your neighbors, and nice facilities…. Good bike trails with Lake Michigan just a short bike ride away. The lake is really, really huge. The water where we are is fresh and clean with nice sandy beaches …. Almost like being at the Cape’s bay. Went swimming…. Beautiful!

John

Although Lake Michigan is the world's largest lake by surface area within a single country, Huron and Superior are even larger. Superior's volume is actually greater than that of the other four combined. Yes the water is beautiful and clear in the western lakes but the eastern two are far warmer. I triple dog dare you to make a run up to Duluth and take a swim in Lake Superior. The temperature will awaken your great great grandfather! :snow

A word of advice if your travels will take you anywhere near the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. There is a city, an island, a strait connecting Lakes Huron and Michigan, and a bridge over that strait which all share a name. It is spelled Mackinac but it is pronounced Maki-NAW. Don't be the subject of ridicule. :thumbsup:

Also if you are up that way do yourself an enormous favor and get your hands on a Pasty... or maybe even three or four. Pronounced with a short 'a' (like bass or trap) they are a meat pie which was a staple for the local miners for most of a century. Very tasty.
:picnic:
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:47 pm

rjgimp wrote:A word of advice if your travels will take you anywhere near the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. There is a city, an island, a strait connecting Lakes Huron and Michigan, and a bridge over that strait which all share a name. It is spelled Mackinac but it is pronounced Maki-NAW. Don't be the subject of ridicule. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the advice! Someday, we plan to travel up that way, and right into Salt Stee Marie in Canada, and I'd hate to be ridiculed!

Tom :FNP
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Capebuild » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:43 pm

Tom, We had visited my wife’s brother when we stayed in Mundelene so I wouldn’t be much help in identifying a campground close to downtown Chicago. I’d follow Cody’s suggestion on that.

Rob, thanks for the tip on the correct pronunciation of Mackinac. There’s one thing in my life I really try to avoid and that’s being the subject of ridicule.
:lol:

I remember someone else mentioning the “pasty”. In Fall River Massachusetts there is a Portuguese meat pie which sounds similar in ingredients and taste. They were delicious and tasty. I don’t know this trip we’ll make it that far up North (into Michigan) but will keep an eye out for the “Pasty”. Thanks!!

John

GROUND BREAKING EDIT:
Just passed by the Sheboygan Pasty Co. What timing!! Bummer they were closed
:cry:
Attachments
IMG_7623 Medium.jpeg
IMG_7623 Medium.jpeg (119.05 KiB) Viewed 683 times
Last edited by Capebuild on Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:37 am

cjlangellier wrote:
Tom&Shelly wrote:

Tom

Hey Tom. Check out Camp Bullfrog Lake in Willow Springs. You can hop on the Heritage Corridor Metra line in Willow Springs and take that all the way to Union Station in Chicago. We've camped at Bullfrog lake a couple times. It's a very nice campground for being so near the city. It's within the Paw Paw Woods Nature Preserve, there are a number of trails in and around the preserve, a few that leave straight from the campground.

Thank you Cody! We will check it out. And thank you John for your reply.

Tom :thumbsup:
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Capebuild » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:50 am

Thursday, Sept 22

Leaving Kohler State Park today. This campground is really a pleasure. Located right on a very large marsh on one side and Lake Michigan on the other. Tons of wildlife. We went for a bike ride last evening and saw many deer (which seem to be unafraid of people; they just mill about as we rode close past them). The Kohler Family Foundation (plumbing fixtures) seems to be very generous in supporting the area. We went to 2 Kohler art museums yesterday. One housed a “modern art” collection (by surprise a classmate of our’s was having a show there) and the other museum had a more eclectic collection of folk art and untrained artist’s work. We spent much time there and the entire collection was so great. There was this one guy (Levi Fisher Ames) from the mid 1800’s to the early 1900’s who was a pocket knife whittler who created over 600 small animal carvings and housed them in these small boxes that were like little suitcases that folded closed. He put the small boxes in the much larger boxes and traveled around the country showing off his skills, playing music on his banjo. Kind of an itinerant entertainer in a traveling tent show. The museum’s collection was just so great. We also visited an Indian Mound Burial site from around 500 to 1000 AD. The newly passed souls were buried and mounds in the shape of animals were created on top of their resting places. The city of Sheboygan is really a “diamond in the rough” waiting to be developed further. It seems like a very sparse downtown area (people) but some very interesting businesses, shops and restaurants….. if I were a young person it’d be a great place to settle or start a business. I think in maybe 5 or 10 years it will be a very hip place to be. I’d say all of Wisconsin we’ve seen so far is very interesting. The boat and slip areas are very much like where we’re from with large motor boats. There is evidently a lot of fresh water fishing and very cool stations set up to clean your catch. Saw these guys who caught very large catfish.
Today on to Mauston and the Camp-Out event sponsored by CampInn.

John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby dabend » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:36 pm

Thanks for the info on the John Michael Kohler Arts Center. I've been whittling since I was a kid and have every book E.J. Tangerman ever wrote and his whittling looks very similar to that in the Levi Ames collection. Kohler State park and that museum are definitely going on my travel destination ideas list.

Take Care and have a safe trip, Darrin.
dabend
Teardrop Builder

Postby Capebuild » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:55 pm

dabend wrote:Thanks for the info on the John Michael Kohler Arts Center. I've been whittling since I was a kid and have every book E.J. Tangerman ever wrote and his whittling looks very similar to that in the Levi Ames collection. Kohler State park and that museum are definitely going on my travel destination ideas list.

Darrin, the museum was totally great. A real treat. If you enjoy carving wood that Ames collection was such a total surprise to us and you'll love seeing it. I was not familiar with EJ Tangerman and looked him up. So thanks for the tip on his writings.

Arrived in Mauston Wisconsin this afternoon (Thursday, Sept 22) for the CampOut weekend sponsored by CampInn. When we arrived at Castle Rock Park there were already many teardrop campers set up.... many CampInn teardrops along with some other campers. Since we left from Massachusetts a week and a half ago we hadn't hooked up once to shore power. Due to some rainy/cloudy days we were getting down to around 57% state of charge. There's an electrical hook up at our site here so thought it best to tap in. Back up to 100% in no time and we don't have to worry about leaving the lights on.
:)

Our neighbor, who has a CampInn 560 model, gave us a tour of his rig. Really nice. Loved the way the stove slid into the cabinetry. He also came over while I was chopping wood with my long handled ax to show us this single piece device called a KINDLING CRACKER. It's a blade within 2 rings (configured like a stand, image attached). A log is placed on the blade and you whack the log with a mallet forcing the log to split on the blade. I thought that was great. I'd never seen that before. Then later, in the dark, someone else came over to say hello and it was TimC from TNTTT. Really nice to meet him and place a face with the name. He brought over some pastys which was really nice. Can't wait to wake up and have them for breakfast. I believe some other TNTTT members will be here. Looking forward to meeting them and looking forward to a great weekend (CampInn factory tour, Cranberry festival, big pot luck dinner Saturday evening.... etc). Traveled over 1600 miles so far. And back to having internet connectivity. At the last site I found connecting was minimal at best. Going to look into a satellite connection of some sort, but for now, able to connect. The temps are dropping a bit, although toasty in our teardrop.

John
Attachments
IMG_7631 Medium.jpeg
IMG_7631 Medium.jpeg (150.25 KiB) Viewed 581 times
IMG_7633 Small.jpeg
IMG_7633 Small.jpeg (45.86 KiB) Viewed 613 times
Last edited by Capebuild on Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby cjlangellier » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:34 am

Capebuild wrote:I believe some other TNTTT members will be here. Looking forward to meeting them and looking forward to a great weekend (CampInn factory tour, Cranberry festival, big pot luck dinner Saturday evening.... etc).

Looking forward to getting up there tomorrow. I’m just hoping there is still a spot available by the time I arrive :worship: . Can’t head up until after work. I should be there around 6:00
Cody - Westmont, IL

5x11 Teardrop
cjlangellier
Teardrop Master

Postby TimC » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:39 am

cjlangellier wrote:...

Looking forward to getting up there tomorrow. I’m just hoping there is still a spot available by the time I arrive :worship: . Can’t head up until after work. I should be there around 6:00

Don't worry. The CampInn word for the weekend is "Squeeze". The park loosens its rules a bit this weekend for this gathering and if you can squeeze in then go for it.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:52 am

Cody, there seems to be plenty of spots.
The park is large and only open for the CampOut event. Look forward to seeing you.
John

Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby cjlangellier » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:05 am

Capebuild wrote:Cody, there seems to be plenty of spots.
The park is large and only open for the CampOut event. Look forward to seeing you.
John

Great to hear! I thought the whole park was open to the public this weekend so I was getting a little nervous. Now if I can just speed up this work day.....
Cody - Westmont, IL

5x11 Teardrop
cjlangellier
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Trips, Pics and Hiway Tales