Stove or Oven?????

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Stove or Oven?????

Postby TxKayaker » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:01 pm

I am trying to figure out what would be the best. Oven or Stove? I like the idea of having a oven but they are pretty big and i am questioning if i would use it enough to justify it.

For those that have the oven, do you use it as much as you thought? do you wish you would have just went with a stove?

For the ones with a stove, do you wish you would have went with an oven? Which do you prefer built in or one that you can take out and use on a picnic table or in your camper?

TxKayaker
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Stove or Oven?????

Postby tony.latham » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:54 pm

I vote for the stove. But why not both?

8)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:19 pm

I'm inclined to use a Dutch oven and charcoal rather than have an actual gas oven.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:23 pm

Yes, stove but have you considered a Dutch Oven?
It feels more authentic to my camping experience and takes less room.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:39 pm

It may depend on how you like to cook plus how much space and weight you have to dedicate.
Think about how you (or your significant other) usually cook. That may tell you a lot.
Personally, I'm a usually a one pot/pan meal person, especially when I'm out camping.
Usually, my meat is pre-cooked for camp so all I have to do is add the veggies, etc. A two burner works best for me.
I think ovens are wasteful of fuel as well as being one more thing to have to clean but I'll happily devour something someone else baked. :D

Built-in or portable stove? Again, that depends on you. How much counter space do you need? Will you have enough if your stove is built in or will you need that extra counter space for meal preparation, pans and dishes? Some places may not have a picnic table easily available. Will you have a pull-out added to your galley or will you bring an extra cooking table? It's all how you want it.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby DJ Davis » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:16 pm

TxKayaker,

Check out the Omnia stove top oven. There are YouTube videos of folks using them. I got one of the deluxe kits that has the round wire rack, silicon inserts, etc. I've used it twice so far and I like it. Of course, it all depends on how many folks want biscuits/cinnamon rolls of a morning or do you REALLY have to have that loaf of zucchini bread while on an outing. If you have no problem hauling the fuel you need, go for it. As for the cast iron dutch ovens, nice to have, IF you're in an area that isn't under a burn ban.
DJ

They say "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." I've noted that if it doesn't kill you, it waits patiently for another opportunity.
DJ Davis
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:40 pm

We have the Camp Chef stove oven combination and love it.
Got rid of my Dutch Ovens, charcoal, and chimney and use a Lodge Chicken cooker that the lid can be used as a fry pan.
The lid and pot fit perfectly in the oven, no playing with charcoal just set the timer.
Works great for our contribution to pot lucks at teardrop gatherings.
Ours is built in and slides out on drawer guides for use, then neatly nests back when not needed.
See second signature photo.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby noseoil » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:33 am

Second a stove/oven combo as a good idea. We do coffee & cinnamon rolls for breakfast in camp & it's a great way to start the day. If you're building from scratch, you can easily make room for this type of cooking, as long as there's room in the layout. A small propane oven doesn't use much fuel, is easy to clean & is handy for warming, baking & cooking in general. Much easier than a Dutch oven, quicker & cleaner in every day use.

Not saying it's better than anything else, just handy & a good option for folks who want it.

Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TimC » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:11 am

In my never ending desire to make stuff this post gave me the idea to search for DIY options. So I found the video below.

Just throwing it out there. I realize most won't want to do a DIY oven but there might be one or two who will find it fun. BTW, I usually use a dutch oven even though it is a lot of heavy equipment vs this guys idea. More weight, more fuel, more accessories. The simplicity of a few stainless steel bowls to put on my one burner stove (which I already have fuel for) might be something I will use when I don't want to bother with the dutch oven. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlTzsbT9Ke4
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:27 pm

This is my smallest, easiest but WE don't agree ;)

And yes after a few picture's I thought I like Cinnamon roll's
Costco to the door (oven)
Attachments
light.jpg
light.jpg (91.92 KiB) Viewed 419 times
Last edited by twisted lines on Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:19 am

And then there's always a Solar oven ... Weighs very little , no fuel to carry , some even fold up . :thinking: I even made my own from cardboard boxes ( Thrifty for the roadside gourmet ) solarcooking.org
Attachments
solarcooker2.jpeg
solarcooker2.jpeg (58.76 KiB) Viewed 387 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby RJ Howell » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:30 am

I carry one of those Coleman stove top ovens. Packs small and easy to use. Just seems that when we do bake we're on shore-power and use the toaster oven.
It's the whole set it and forget it thing :thumbsup:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby philpom » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:25 am

That camp chef stove/oven is fantastic. We have one at our cabin and have used it for many years. If room is any issue I second the folding Coleman stove top oven box. We have one of those also and it works well.
philpom
Teardrop Master

Postby RJ Howell » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:41 pm

I will also say that baking over the fire-pit with just tin-foil is quite a PITA, yet will say done that a few times including a lasagna at a whitewater/camping event and my daughter's 11th birthday at Yellowstone NP. It does bring memories back for all those involved. :D

Don't suggest it for those on the road... takes way too much time! Having said just that.. I've yet to try the Coleman oven over a fire.. Build on the side and brush the coals under the oven? Sounds like basic Cowboy cooking to me. Have to try it sometime soon! :twisted:

Though I travel a bit differently than most here (rig I mean), we all have so much in common, space means everything! What can we use that is multi-purposed? I love the Dog-Bowl dutch oven sense I use these bowls for other uses. I love how the Coleman packs (as a single use item).

So glad to see this topic and what others do! Question is now... What are you using the oven to bake? :thinking:
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:40 pm

We can bake anything that a covered Dutch Oven can do.
Tamale Pie, lasagna, stew, roast, cookies, etc.
Occasionally we buy premade dinners and heat them in the oven.
We store the cast iron cookware under the stored oven along with up to 4 disposable propane bottles.
We have a cast iron meatloaf pan too that works in the oven.
:D Danny

ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Next

Return to General Discussion