Needed: Non-overimproved Conversions

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Needed: Non-overimproved Conversions

Postby kaBLOOnie » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:04 am

This forum would be more interesting and useful to many people if there were more conversions that weren't overdone. I thought cargo trailers were supposed to be simple!

Then we get heavy, labor-intensive cabinetry, ceramic floor tiles, awnings, bed frames made of 2 X 4's, over-insulation, house-like appliances, wiring behind the walls, industrial grade fuse panels, etc.

It seems like new posters come on, praising Simplicity, and then the conversion becomes an ego-monument of heavy wood paneling, fine woodworking, etc.

I wish there was a way to find the truly simple and lightweight conversions.
kaBLOOnie
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Needed: Non-overimproved Conversions

Postby Grummy » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:18 pm

That would make a good forum... Lol...

"Here is my trailer", would be, > See my Cot ? I might just get rid of it and lay on the hard floor. No, your right, I have no insulation, or heat... I just like to shiver when its cold. And, I do not like windows, or air circulation either. I don't need any electricity because I have no phone or other electronics, and I use a candle to read flyers I pry off of telephone poles.

I guess I'm confused on the point your making. There are a LOT of builds here that ARE just a cot and some Ikea bins, and that is what works for those who use that trailer. Then there is no shortage of those who went a little farther.

Most of the higher end "fully loaded" builds (I'm sure I'd be found guilty in this regard) were done simply because we cant actually purchase anything that can be a toy hauler and also a comfortable camper in the size we want with the quality of workmanship we expect.
Grummy
Teardrop Master

Postby twisted lines » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:24 pm

Yep mine wont fit: Nothing at all in it; but wires hanging everywhere and power,
hate the thermostat 95 on or off that's it.
From there is the hard part.
How to pile yer junk, Some prepare more than others :shock:
I sometimes wonder if I should still start a forth trailer for the backyard,
Or work on one I already have :thinking:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby onehoser » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:00 pm

check out my light and simple build viewtopic.php?t=72540#p1261009
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby kaBLOOnie » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:43 pm

Yes, onehoser, I checked out your link. You did a great job of keeping it light and simple. :thumbsup:

I wonder how I could get better at reading between the lines when I read the title of a new post, so I will stop getting discouraged after finding one more conversion that is of no interest to me.
kaBLOOnie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ottsville » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:07 pm

kaBLOOnie wrote:Yes, onehoser, I checked out your link. You did a great job of keeping it light and simple. :thumbsup:

I wonder how I could get better at reading between the lines when I read the title of a new post, so I will stop getting discouraged after finding one more conversion that is of no interest to me.

Bah, all those people posting things on the internet of no interest to you! Curses on them!
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby ZColorado » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:03 am

I'd argue there are more cargo trailers will air mattresses in them then fancy conversions (my build is "fancy") but those simple builds have fewer problems to solve, and dont take as long. "Fancy" builds have a lot more problems to solve so they have more posts.

There is a guy on the facebook groups who has the fanciest build of them all, been working on it for years. He has never taken it camping... now thats a shame.

a more accurate metric would be "Nights spent in my project camper" under the username.
ZColorado
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:26 am

kaBLOOnie, Howdy;

kaBLOOnie wrote:This forum would be more interesting and useful to many people if there were more conversions that weren't overdone. I thought cargo trailers were supposed to be simple!

Then we get heavy, labor-intensive cabinetry, ceramic floor tiles, awnings, bed frames made of 2 X 4's, over-insulation, house-like appliances, wiring behind the walls, industrial grade fuse panels, etc.

It seems like new posters come on, praising Simplicity, and then the conversion becomes an ego-monument of heavy wood paneling, fine woodworking, etc.

I wish there was a way to find the truly simple and lightweight conversions.

Not everyone enjoys the "Spartan" way of life. Simple as that. We each have our wants and desires, it's why we see things differently
and why some choose to do a full-blown build or just keep it simple. For some it's the financial aspect while for others it's
the learning of new skills or sharing the one's they have with those trying to learn. Each to their own as is said.
Mine looks just like it did the day I bought it. Inside are a cot, a folding table a hole in the exterior (okay, has a 'slightly' altered
appearance), chucklin', for electric. Couple of coolers camp stove and my sleeping bag and a pillow. Used to have a Border Collie that
was very protective of 'HIS' mobile doghouse. He did share it with me, if I was good to him. chuckle.
We are all different and our needs are too, I enjoy seeing what folks come up with and if I can I offer a suggestion about something I
may have seen, heard of or had experience with in the past I pass the information along. It's up to the individual to figure it out if it
may or may not be helpful to them.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gonefishin » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:20 pm

I have no building skills at all. Mine is a very simple build. 12 years of use now, 80-100 nights a year. Tens of thousands of miles. Heat (Spent a lot because I live/camp in the arctic). Pre-fab hanging nylon cabinets. Pre-made bed frame with mattress. Factory lights. Factory insulation (Crappy, but works!). Factory windows and roof vents. Home Depot foam floor covering. Some insulation sheets underneath. Ikea folding table. Coleman stove on a table for cooking. A little basic wiring for solar and a lithium 12 volt battery. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=33924
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Karebru » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:58 pm

Ottsville wrote:Bah, all those people posting things on the internet of no interest to you! Curses on them!

Guilty. :scratchthinking:
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Postby halbraun » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:05 pm

I like to think mine is pretty simple yet comfortable… the only “extra” per se might be the mini split on the front, but hey.. I live in florida and the trailer is black.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=73773

I can have the whole thing gutted to the walls in about 20 minutes, electrical is simple (30 amp box with two 15 amp breakers and 10 feet of wire with 2 outlets). It gives me a nice level of comfort at minimal cost and everything pretty much hangs off x-track, and it carries my kayak and keeps it safe. (And I used 2x3’s for my bed :D )

Not for everyone but works for me and I can still use the trailer for hauling.. probably 1/2 way between a cot and some of the really purpose built rigs that I wish I had the talent and $ for..
halbraun
Teardrop Builder

Postby kaBLOOnie » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:08 am

ZColorado wrote:I'd argue there are more cargo trailers will air mattresses in them then fancy conversions (my build is "fancy") but those simple builds have fewer problems to solve, and dont take as long. "Fancy" builds have a lot more problems to solve so they have more posts.

There is a guy on the facebook groups who has the fanciest build of them all, been working on it for years. He has never taken it camping... now thats a shame.

a more accurate metric would be "Nights spent in my project camper" under the username.

"Never taken it camping..." Exactly! It seems that many guys get sucked into this sub-cult :lol: by romanticizing travel and camping, and they see a cargo trailer conversion as an economical MEANS to that END.

But slowly, the MEANS becomes the END.
kaBLOOnie
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Gonefishin » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:38 am

kaBLOOnie wrote:
ZColorado wrote:I'd argue there are more cargo trailers will air mattresses in them then fancy conversions (my build is "fancy") but those simple builds have fewer problems to solve, and dont take as long. "Fancy" builds have a lot more problems to solve so they have more posts.

"Never taken it camping..." Exactly! It seems that many guys get sucked into this sub-cult :lol: by romanticizing travel and camping, and they see a cargo trailer conversion as an economical MEANS to that END.

But slowly, the MEANS becomes the END.

Mine was just the opposite, the means to a new beginning. My only regret is I didn't do it 30 years sooner!
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Modstock » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:52 pm

I would consider my trailer build as "basic" since it has no power or 12 volt. Hell, I haven't even hooked up the sink yet.
We use LED puck lights, batteries last a few seasons.
While I was building it an earthquake hit our city which led me to think about if our house wasn't livable, at least we could live in it for a temporary short time. This also led me to install the wood burning stove.
Guess I've turned into a prepper.

Nothing wrong with alittle paint and carpet.
Things I consider "a must" for trailers is insulation and getting rid of scotch-lock fasteners in taillight wiring along with adding serated washers for the grounds .

Sent from my SM-A115AP using Tapatalk
Modstock
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Vnose » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:09 pm

After some thought, it seems "basic" might be defined.

What's the intended purpose? Week end camper/toy hauler/ long term camping or do you intend to live out of or in it? Why do you want a trailer?

How many people/kids/dog/cats/critters would occupy the trailer?

Do you just want a safer and dryer place for a bed roll? Do you require a bed? What kind?

Any inside activities? Sitting/pooper shoot'n/bathing/cooking/eating/playing games/watching computer-TV/singing or dancing/just gett'n drunk?

I'd think what you intend on doing, (with all of the above considerations and most likely more) will drive your needs to prepare your "basic" trailer.

Seems a basic trailer to live in by yourself at Quartzsite would be a lot different than a basic trailer for 3+ your dog for a venture through Alaska to the Arctic Circle in March.

I would consider my trailer to be a bare bones "conversion" (actually, alternative use), but with some convivences.

When I bought my 6x14 x 6.25 V Nose, I had not intensions of making a camper out of it, it was to haul my 1800 VTX Trike and tour the country staying at military installations, motels and perhaps a few cabins. I bought it used just before Covid hit us. A 2018 Razorback, I got a very good deal, no dents, scratches, nice wheels, painted interior with hanging/securing hardware inside.

I have enough camping equipment, kitchen/porta pottie/cots/solar generator and toys to through in the trailer and take off right now, nothing needed to go to the lake. But, I plan on making it more living friendly. 8)
Vnose
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions