Squared Off Teardrop (SketchUp Design)

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

Squared Off Teardrop (SketchUp Design)

Postby kirtky97 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:39 pm

Hey Y'all,

Spent a few hours (and too many cups of coffee) in SketchUp last night getting my paper designs into the digital world. I hadn't used the program before, and was thrilled to see how easy it was to come up with some pretty cool stuff! Here's what I've got so far... I've got a couple of questions and would welcome any feedback you all have!

1. I've already posted elsewhere about this, but it looks like I may have to redesign the hatch into either a two-part half galley hatch with traditional doors at the base, or elongate the entire galley so that the angle of the hatch is less severe... does anyone have experience with this, or could point me toward models that have tackled this?

2. On a 5x8 trailer as shown, with a 16" deep galley, I'm left with exactly 78" of length for the bed... no room for a headboard or really any errors! This seems short to me, am I doing something wrong?

3. I have my main interior cabinets at 16" deep, is that too much? It would be great to have those jut out a little less.

Ok go for it, rip me apart! (but only for my design, I know my SketchUp skills are pretty weak ;))

kirtky97
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Squared Off Teardrop (SketchUp Design)

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:41 pm

On a 5x8 trailer as shown, with a 16" deep galley, I'm left with exactly 78" of length for the bed... no room for a headboard or really any errors! This seems short to me, am I doing something wrong?

78" is the perfect size for an 80" queen mattress. I've found that if you go 80", it slips around a bit.

But... a 5x10' really solves your problems. A 16" galley won't allow for much and I think a good working galley defines a teardrop. Two feet in a teardrop is about two miles. A foot for a headboard and a much deeper galley.

I do think your interior cabinets may come in too far. And your door looks tiny--a head knocker. Make sure the bottom of it is located halfway into the mattress so you aren't sitting on the wall when you get in and out.

Perhaps someone can suggest a way to make the angled hatch. With a curved hatch, the skins are full length and it's as strong as an airplane wing. I'm not sure how I'd handle that angle without it turning into a flex issue since the skin(s) won't go over the angle. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby kirtky97 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:04 pm

Thanks Tony! Honestly, 5x10 would be ideal, but I haven't been able to find a single trailer with those dimensions, used or new, and custom building one is beyond my skill set / price range... if I could get my hands on one I absolutely would though!
kirtky97
Teardrop Inspector

Postby shannonswyatt » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:21 am

Post up that you are looking for someone to build a 5x10 on the DIY Teardrop group on Facebook. I was in the same boat as you. I ended up finding a used teardrop that was a salvage job. When I posted how I had problems finding someone to build one I had some offers from group members on making a frame. The commercial folks don't want to do little jobs like this, but the backyard guys will.

A smart guy said something like design you galley first, then build everything else around that. (or something like that)
shannonswyatt
Teardrop Builder

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:25 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Perhaps someone can suggest a way to make the angled hatch. With a curved hatch, the skins are full length and it's as strong as an airplane wing. I'm not sure how I'd handle that angle without it turning into a flex issue since the skin(s) won't go over the angle. :frightened:

Tony

There are several ways to make that bend not flex. Remember it only has to support it's weight. Use a good plywood or a scarf joint if you want solid wood. I would support the skin between the ribs at the break with glass and epoxy. Inside or outside depending on your finish.

Consider that the rear legs on just about every wooden chair has a bend in it and is under far more load per sq. in. Than the hatch will be.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:16 pm

Don't under estimate the forces on a hatch, especially if using hydraulic struts like most do. The leverage and fulcrum effect create a lot more stress and concentrated load points than just the perceived weight of the materials.

As with any structural element, sharp corners create stress risers.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Onajourney » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:07 am

You need to go to 5x9 at minimum. My original design was 5x8 and I built the frame 5x8. Luckily I was still designing the interior and soon realized I needed to go to 9'. I modified the frame to 9' and so glad I did. 10' would be better and for a few bucks more but my TV is a 2 door Jeep JK and figured it would just look awkward pulling a 10' trailer. Here is the final designed that I am building right now and I do have a build journal.

I am building the hatch this weekend. I will be framing with 1"x1.5" clear pine and use a half lap joint glued and screwed. I had concern too with the angle strength so I making metal angle braces to reinforce it on the inside. The outside of the angle will also have a aluminum angle trim to also reinforce the joint. I am fairly confident that it will work just fine. I will have pics in my build journal next week.
Onajourney
Teardrop Master

Return to Sketch up designs