Once again, a half-car pseudo-teardrop

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Re: Once again, a half-car pseudo-teardrop

Postby groys02 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:49 pm

Back again. Teardrop survived the winter just fine 'under wraps'.
I'll swap out the torsion axles for softer ones soon---took almost 10 months to get them, with all the supply chain shortages.

But first to fabricate a rear bumper. Couldn't locate a stock one, and had some leftover 1x3x1/8" tubing, soooooo... arced the majority of it's length to match back of car-body... bent up some simple brackets... bolted the bumper in place... split the ends to facilitate heating & curling them around the corner of body... and tack-welded the split ends back together again.
More welding & grinding to come. A little crude, but it should do the job.......

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."
— Eleanor Roosevelt
groys02
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Mon May 01, 2023 8:21 am

Well, isn't this a fun looking project! Glad to see you're back on it. :thumbsup:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby groys02 » Tue May 02, 2023 1:03 pm

Thanks, Bruce.
It IS a fun project, at least for this old weirdo. At my rate of progress, it could easily be another year or two before I'm actually camping out of it.
I'll be able to just focus on smoothing up the body panels soon, and then I can shoot some paint on it & reinstall the glass. Then the fairly slow and step-by-step process of wiring & 'finishing' the interior spaces.
keepin' on...
Gary
"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."
— Eleanor Roosevelt
groys02
Teardrop Advisor

Postby groys02 » Thu May 18, 2023 9:07 pm

Got the bumper primed, colored & cleared yesterday. Today I lightly scuffed it to kill most of the clear-coat gloss, and then installed brackets & bumper itself.
It's all something of a compromise, but I'm content with how it came out. Sturdy and 'tidy'... it'll do.
Now to get those new & lighter swing axles on it, and then take it for a test drive........

— Eleanor Roosevelt
groys02
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs