Cast Iron Frying Pans from Harbor Freight

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Postby mfkaplan » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:15 pm

Wentzel was a brand of camping gear, especially tents and sleeping bags. We had one of their sleeping bags. Not sure if it's around any more. Someone else probably made them for the company. If the set has some years on it it won't be made in China. Possibly not USA either.

Mary
Mom's nest.
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby mfkaplan » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:25 pm

Wenzel has a web site but only has tents, sleeping bags, and matresses. No Cast iron. May be it has some age on it. Spelling seems to be Wenzel not Wentzel. www.wenzelstore.com

Mary
Mom's nest
Mary
Mom's Nest
mfkaplan
Gold Donating Member

Postby Geron » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:31 am

surveytech wrote:ok it's been a while..........has anyone tried the Horrible Freight pans?

Any feedback?

I was on a cast iron (DO) forum back in another life (almost literal) and the consensus was -- pay the little extra and get the good stuff. Does HF stuff work -- yes. In GENERAL with EXCEPTIONS you'll have fewer unfavorable surprises if you stay away from HF and other Chinese import knockoffs of cast iron. My experience is primarily with Lodge though I have a couple Camp Chef Lewis and Clark DO's.

I have a set of skillets that are marked only Made in USA. I have no Idea who when or where. They are thinner than the Lodge and slicker -- all my Lodge were purchased in the last 25 years.

I once picked up a Chinese knockoff in an Army Surplus store. Took it out of the box gave it a 0nce over put it back in the box and left. Maybe I picked up a bad piece.

JMO.

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:37 am

I bought my dad a 15"? skillet from H.F. last summer. He wanted a big on for his fishing trips. When he was up for Christmas he told me he seasoned it and it worked great.
YMMV
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ma3tt » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:29 am

I posted this story a long time ago but can't find it so let me sum up.
I am cooking a mountain man breakfast for our mens group at church. aFter frying the sausage, eggs, spuds, peppers etc I have the pan simmering on the electric burner. As one of the elders reached in to get some ymmy cinnamon rolls out of the oven BAM! about half the mountan man breakfast went straight up in the air. the old dude cussed the pastor said a prayer and I found this ........

so I got out the hot glue gun and fixed it right up..

just kidding I tossed it.. moral of the story, be sure to have even heating, It may have been the pan but I think the electric burner was not good for the CI. don't be afraid of being poisoned none of us died after eating that breakfast.
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Previous

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1