front window

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

front window

Postby donkro » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:08 pm

In planning my build I think I'd like to put a large window on the front side (facing the tow vehicle), partly for air and partly because I like to see outside as much as possible. I don't see many trailers with windows there. Can I hear some pro's and con's?
donkro
Teardrop Builder

Postby SteveH » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:28 pm

The cons as far as I see it are they are hard to install on the curved surface of a teardrop. Windows are hard to install because of the spars in that area of the teardrop. They have a greater chance of leaking water while driving. They have a greater chance of being broken by debris thrown up by the tow and other vehicles. Other than that, I see nothing but good. :lol:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:19 am

I've seen a few but they are relatively small windows, almost like a mail slot. The Camp-Inn being an exception. Joanne has a window in the front but she has a flat sided trailer similar to a weekender.

One problem would be road debris getting kicked up onto (into) it. Even Airstreamers use rock guards on their front windows.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby jdarkoregon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:23 am

I'd think you need to be concerned with rocks, birds and big bugs. Lots of larger trailers have covers that they close over the windows when being towed

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

Postby BrianB » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:54 am

If it doesn't need to open, just use plexiglass. Weatherproofing it would be your only major challenge.
BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby b.bodemer » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:57 am

I went with two of Grant's crank out windows in the front and then added a shutter/awning combo to protect them. Closed as a shutter when driving and then open as an awning in camp.

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sid » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:05 am

:applause: :applause:
Excellent job Barb!
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby Gerdo » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:31 am

George T. has a curved plexi window on the top front edge of his TD.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cary Winch » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:43 am

Don,

Don't get to far on the front window till after the cooler camp out (I see you are day tripping up there). I know there will be some of our Camp-Inns there. Both the 550s and the 560 (I will be in a 560). Both of these models do front windows, both of different methods though. You will want to look very close at these to get some ideas. For homebuilders I recommend using a method like the 560 if you can.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:48 am

Cary Winch wrote:Don,

Don't get to far on the front window till after the cooler camp out (I see you are day tripping up there). I know there will be some of our Camp-Inns there. Both the 550s and the 560 (I will be in a 560). Both of these models do front windows, both of different methods though. You will want to look very close at these to get some ideas. For homebuilders I recommend using a method like the 560 if you can.

Cary

Gosh Cary, where's da pics. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby sunny16 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:26 am

I put a front window in my trailer, too. It is a small fixed type and it is installed on a flat part of the trailer. I wanted to be able to see out the front. It makes the small trailer seem a bit more brighter (more light) and you can see out three sides in case of a bear, ha ha. I don't have a cover over it although it is an idea that I may add in the future. THere is always the chance of a rock popping up and breaking it. Oh, and all my windows are tinted which makes it nice out in the sunshine.
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Re: front window

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:32 pm

donkro wrote:In planning my build I think I'd like to put a large window on the front side (facing the tow vehicle), partly for air and partly because I like to see outside as much as possible. I don't see many trailers with windows there. Can I hear some pro's and con's?

Hello to the Windy City

Im also having one manufactured at the moment for my tear ...
It will look like this when done, except a lil higher up...

The photograph below shows about what it will look like with the frame and of course half the size. Just somthing different ....Will it be good - No clue but it will be different in any case. Same material is used in boats and yachts.

I,ll post photos when its installed....On the next future build I have somthing on my plans about using the same ...but again used differently. :D :D

Classic Finn :thumbsup:
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:50 pm

Cary Winch wrote:Don,

Cary

Hi Cary

I thought Id ask a real pro - What do you think of our Finnish Window Plan.... Any ideas or comments...

Best regards

Classic Finn ;)
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby Kens » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:50 pm

I have a front window and love it. I like the added light and air. Its on a flat area on a Benroy profile.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby Cary Winch » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:56 pm

Heikki,

Very nice. It is hard to find anyone to make window frames with a curve like that so that is pretty special.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques