trailer leaf springs

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Postby SteveH » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:59 am

Steve,

If it were me, I'd do like Andrew said, reduce the air pressure 30% AND remove the MIDDLE spring.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:46 pm

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your input. I decided to pull the spring pack apart and go from there. I stood the springs on the ground and started bouncing on them. I could barely get them to budge. I decided to put the main leaf back on, and ditch the other two.

It all went well (except having to run a die on the ubolts because everything was galvanized) bolting it back up. The trailer dropped about an inch, but the good news is I have suspension! :thumbsup:

I raised the fenders up an inch, and this allows the trailer to bottom out before the fenders hit the tires. Now it feels like it's supposed to.

I'll let a little air out of the tires (I think they're 60 cold) if I need, but I really think I've got the problem licked now.

Oh, and another bonus - removing those springs dropped another 7 pounds off the trailer. Woot!

I appreicate the help.

Steve
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

New weight class

Postby Guy » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:33 pm

Steve,

Impressive weight loss, but one of the "non-essential" items you dropped was a galley(at least there are no pics of it on your site.)

Is Lisa considering dropping you for a truly impressive weight loss? :D
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby steve wolverton » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:57 pm

Guy - No galley. We cook outside and weren't interested in it, and didn't want the added weight of all of it. We have a cupboard area in the rear of the camper that has two access points for storing food, clothes, little TV, etc. We constructed it so we could come back later and add a rear hatch, but I think we're both content w/o it. That seems to be a problem area for a lot of builders, so we discarded it awhile back.

I think Lisa is stuck with me for the long term. I think I get a better deal out of it than she does. ;)

Steve
�veni, vidi, vici.�
steve wolverton
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques