tongue length

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

tongue length

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:13 am

OK, i searched the world over, and i thought i found true love, but she wanted to know how long to make the tongue on a particular trailer?..anyone have a idea?
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby tdthinker » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:24 pm

About 3 feet long is best
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:04 pm

Thanks Ryan for the info.
Jim in Savannah
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:38 pm

Jim,

One approach is to figure out how long a 50* tongue would be for any given width trailer. The 50* is an industry standard. On my 6' wide benroy my tongue was about 4' long.

Maybe if I have a few minutes tonight I'll generate tongue lengths for several common sized trailers.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jiminsav » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:35 pm

Mike, that will be awlfully nice of you..i await your wisdom..*s*
Jim in Savannah
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:54 am

Okay Jim,

Sorry I didn't have time last night to do the tongue lengths, but I did have a chance this morning. So first look at this picture...

And here's what that means...
Tongue member lengths for various width tongues

36” wide 34.71 long
42” wide 41.15 long
48” wide 47.58 long
54” wide 54.01 long
60” wide 60.45 long
66” wide 66.88 long
72” wide 73.72 long

Tongues should be tucked under the frame at least several inches for strength.

So for example, if you have a 5' wide trailer, with a 4' wide tongue, your tongue is 47.58" long. Then if you tuck your tongue under your trailer 6" for strength, you'll still have 41.58" of tongue showing.

Make sense?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jiminsav » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:28 pm

Mike, makes lots of sense, however, i'm going with just a piece of steel running down the center lengthwise of the trailer, maybe, terminating in a reciever so I can take the tongue off when i set up..maybe..don't know yet..but your info help with the over-all lenght from the front of the trailer..Thank You.
Jim in Savannah
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:36 pm

Jim,

That was just a starting point so you know what standard 50* trailers have for a length. With your straight piece, you can make it any size you want of course. But if I were making a 4x8 for example, I might use something between 3' and 4' long...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jimqpublic » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:15 pm

I'm a newbie, but I have a few opinions:

All else being equal:
Longer tongue is more stable towing
Longer tongue has less tongue weight (but more stability)
Longer tongue can eliminate chance of car bumper-trailer body damage if you jacknife too far
Longer tongue makes backing easier

Shorter tongue is stiffer and stronger
Shorter tongue is lighter
Shorter tongue is ... Shorter! and takes up less space in the garage.
Shorter tongue allows tighter turns as the trailer tracks closer.
Shorter tongue improves aerodynamics of the car/trailer combo.

I suggest making the tongue long enough that it's impossible for the trailer body to get hit by the bumper or bed of a full-sized pickup when in a jacknife situation. I think that means it ought to be around 3-1/2'.

My folks once had an old trailer with a really short tongue that made backing very tricky and risky to the trailer bodywork.
Last edited by jimqpublic on Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby Nick Taylor » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:00 pm

Here's a vote for a shorter tongue length.

I drive a PT Cruiser and when I first got my Benroy teardrop I was concerned with the short tongue as it was only 2 feet. It turned out to be no problem at all and an advantage for aerodynamics. The body being very close to the same shape as the car the air would flow right over it. Like the trailer is drafting.

You did have to watch backing up but I never got close to hitting the body with my car. I was easily able to back the trailer into my driveway from my narrow street. Any place I couldn't back it into easily, I just unhooked it and pushed it in place.

The previous owner towed it with a Bronco and he did hit the body but I think he was just careless.

When I built a utility trailer to go with my little Dodge Rampage pickup, I had the tongue made so that I could park the truck and trailer at 90 degrees to each other to fit in swap meet spaces.

My new 1947 Ken-Skill has a longer tongue and a longer body length so the car wheel to trailer wheel distance is greater by about 3 feet over the Benroy. It backs up a little better but not much.

So depending on what you're towing with, a longer tongue may not always be an advantage. You spend a heck of a lot more time going forward than you do backing up.

Nick.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Postby rambler65 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:12 pm

Less talk, more tongue!

sorry. couldn't resist.
"Fish is the only food that is considered spoiled once it smells like what it is." pj o'rourke
rambler65
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tdthinker » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:18 pm

So what you are suggesting is a 3 and a half foot to 4 foot tongue. Why not just go for the 4 footer? I really wanted 3 feet but now I might go for 4. Thanks alot for the info, bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:15 am

Hey Mike that Trailer tong chart is terrific.

I have a thought that maybe when really good stuff like your comes along that it be put under a heading that would be called common info about trailers or something. So as new people come on board who know little but want to learn this is where they can look.

I would have know reply section just info that could be asked under a different discussion.

So know I know if I build a trailer that is 5 feet wide the tung should be 60. something long. and the angle of the tung should be 50 degrees.

What a cool diagram.

Thank Mike.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shrug53 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:07 am

Hey Mike, by any chance do you have that diagram with a simple white background? All that color will really eat up my ink. Thanks!
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Dave Nathanson » Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:40 am

I designed my tongue out of a single piece of square tubing. My TearDrop is 5 feet wide, and I drive a Jeep Wrangler with a tailgate with hinges on the passenger side. My tongue is just long enough so that I can safely open the Jeep back door.

The tongue is just long enough that I can jackknife the trailer 90 degrees, so I can really get down when I;'m trying to maneuver my way out of a corner. The tongue is removable, so I can take up less space in the garage (if it gets to park there), and extendable to about double it's normal length. That's so if I need some extra leverage to muscle it around in a jam, I can do it by myself. I'm imagining a trail that gets so bad I can't even turn around. I could disconnect the TD, and spin it around by hand.

Oh, and the tongue is just long enough so I can get through a dry streambed without the top of the TD touching the top of the Jeep. But it's close.

Because the tongue is as short as it is, I can really turn sharply & U turns are a breeze.

My math went something like; 1/2 the width of the trailer, plus the um, I forget. but anyway... I wanted it to jackknife easily & the Jeep door to open, and to keep it as short as possible.

Dave Nathanson

Dave Nathanson
Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion