Yet Another wheel and tire question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Yet Another wheel and tire question

Postby James Ellington » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:19 am

Ok, I have a question concerning wheels and tire sizing. The trailer that I am going to build is rated at 3500lb capacity weighting est 500lbs(it will be less after I remove the side rails, ramp and all the diamond plating). I have no plans on going above 2000lbs total weight, but you know 'the best laid plans' and all.
Anyway, the plans call for 15' x 6' wheels with 225/75R15-C tires. A rep at trailer web site that I'm getting my Torsion axles from (3500lb cap) says I can go with 205/75R15 with 4.5" hub bolt pattern (4.5" not available for 225 size tires/ 6" wheel combo that I can find). But the 205 is not rated for more than 1850lbs :? Is he right or should I just stick with the 225 and go with a 5" bolt pattern??? or am I just missing something else entirely here. :CC
Remember that the toe's you step on today could well be attached to legs that support the As* you need to kiss tomorrow!
James Ellington
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Esteban » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:08 am

Isn't the 205 rated for 1850 lbs per tire? 2x1850=3,700 lbs. capacity?
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:12 am

...well James, I'm lost....tire size has no relation to hub bolt patterns(basically) and a 4.5"X5 lug pattern is widely used not only in the trailer industry but in the automotive industry(Fords and Chryslers mostly) as well...personally, we use 205-70-15 tires on all our trailers...utility as well as teardrop...I think your salesperson wuz just tryin' to sound like he knew more than he actually does..........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:31 am

What they said...

Go here: http://www.etrailerpart.com/

and go down to trailer wheels...

All of the many of the 13", all of the 14", and a lot of the 15" wheels have a 5 on a 4.5" bolt circle.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby James Ellington » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:32 am

Thanks mike, thats the trailer site that I checked out and emailed. I'm lost as to the whole wheel tire sizing thing Esteban, thats why I asked, but I was thinking along the same line as you on that one. Thanks madjack, I'll do some more research on that size, maybe I just missed something or maybe I'm just over thinking the whole mess like I use to do on aircraft. I'll prob hit Big O sometime this weekend and see what they say as well. Thanks for the info folks. :thumbsup: :applause:
Remember that the toe's you step on today could well be attached to legs that support the As* you need to kiss tomorrow!
James Ellington
Teardrop Inspector

Postby brian_bp » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:27 pm

I assume that the size issue was that a 225mm wide tire would want a 6" wide wheel, and trailer wheels were not available in the desired bolt pattern and rim diameter. Car/truck wheels may fix that.

Tires come in different load ranges, so there is no single weight capacity for a 205/75R15 tire. Get a higher pressure / higher load tire of that size if necessary. According to Goodyear's chart for ST tires (which is essentially the same for all brands) a ST205/75R15 in load range C has a capacity of 1820 lb, and that's their highest range, but other brands come in load range D or even E.

Finally, with a planned weight of only 2000 lb, two 1820 lb tires sound more than adequate to me, even if plans are massively derailed. Why would there be any desire for more?
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby James Ellington » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:42 pm

Thanks brian. I haven't had a chance to do more checks on the load ranges but I was thinking thats what it prob meant. You folks have pointed me in the right direction anyway so I'll prob just get 205's then. I appreciate all the info you folks have provided. :thumbsup: I'll prob have lots more before I'm done. :)
James Ellington
Teardrop Inspector

Postby James Ellington » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 pm

Well, it looks like I will be going with the ST205 tires. From what all of you folks have said as well as the local tire stores, they will do just fine for what I will be hauling. I found a set with 5 bolt wheels for $123ea at D&B, but will continue looking around to see if I can find them cheaper. Thanks for all the good info folks. :thumbsup:
James Ellington
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:12 pm

You should be able to pick up a pretty nice set of wheels at a local boneyard for $50-60. Might even find a set with good tires on them.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:14 pm

You should be able to pick up a pretty nice set of wheels at a local boneyard for $50-60. Might even find a set with good tires on them.

Probably more then you ever wanted to know about wheels....

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Probably more then you ever wanted to know about tires......

http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/TechShe ... edem.shtml

And just for "giggles", I have a flatbed car carrier trailer and it has 15 inch wheels with 5 on 5 inch bolt pattern.... Parked right next to my trailer is a almost identical car carrier with 15 inch wheels with 5 on 4.5 inch bolt pattern.... Both trailers are about 1750lbs unladen weight and have a 7000lb maximum capacity (legally)... Friend of mine has almost same trailer and it has 6 lug wheels..... A lot of wheel/hub selection has to do with manufacturers choice beyond what weight specifications individual components are capable of....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby James Ellington » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:16 pm

Great links Dale :thumbsup: Now I understand a few more things about wheel sizing. Never really gave that much thought before. :duh: I was thinking about the junkyard just down the road, but am worried that the wheels might be damaged or worse, corroded beyond serviceable use. Won't hurt to stop by and take a look I guess. Thanks folks. :)
James Ellington
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Alphacarina » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:55 am

5 on a 4.5 circle is a very universal bolt pattern and you can find all sorts of sources for wheels and tires with that common bolt pattern - My Japanese car (Mazda) uses the same and since you're not going to be hauling the maximum your axle can handle, you don't really even need load range C trailer tires

You can get a pair of wheels/tires from an auto dismantler as Nitetimes suggested, or you can buy a used set from your local paper's classifieds or the Penny Pincher, etc. Just pay attention to the offset and get something as close to zero as you can

For a seldom used, lightweight trailer, I would definitely find a cheaper pair than paying $250 for brand new ones - Most trailer tires die from years of UV exposure . . . . you almost never see any which are 'worn out' so paying a premium for brand new trailer tires is something I try hard to avoid

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby madprinter » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:44 pm

I just purchased a dexter alxe with 5x4.5 hubs. Its the same patern as my Ford Explorer Sport. I'm with Rich on picking up wheels and tires at the boneyard. Save that money for something else on your build. Rich posted a lug pattern chart . Print it out and take it with you.
Thanks to Rich for the bolt pattern printout. I used it myself when finding the lug pattern on my Explorer :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
madprinter
The 300 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:52 pm

madprinter wrote:
Thanks to Rich for the bolt pattern printout. I used it myself when finding the lug pattern on my Explorer :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Glad it worked for you! :thumbsup:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby madprinter » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:04 pm

madprinter
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets