IT TIME TO START THINKING LICENSE PLATE

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Postby CASHCOW » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:06 pm

We didn t have any hoops to jump through either. I just went down, paid the money and walked away with tags..........it was about 50 bucks i think
Serro Scotty Hilander http://txmc08.blogspot.com/
CASHCOW
The 300 Club

Postby Nick1970 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:22 pm

Sorry for bringing up this year old thread.

Seems like in Texas, people take two routes. Register their teardrop as a utility trailer, no title, quick and easy. Or jump through ALL the hoops to get the travel trailer registration and title.

The utility trailer route has some apparent risks, with people talking about impoundment, or other run ins with the law. Has anyone that has registered their teardrop as a utility trailer ran afoul of Johnny Law?

Hell, here in the Houston area, you see so many trailers without any plates, I cant see LEO cracking down on this, but what do I know...
Nick1970
Teardrop Inspector

Postby caseydog » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:25 pm

ChickenFoot wrote:Hey Sonetpro, Let me ask ya question. What if you use a already licensed utility trailer to build on would you need to get another license for the teardrop?

No. Just renew the plates every year. You are set.

My fist TD and my current build are registered as "utility" trailers.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Big DE » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:13 pm

Nick,
I registered my trailer in Brazoria county and had to go in to Houston to take them pictures. it was a one day process.

Big DE
Big DE
Teardrop Master

Postby Nick1970 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:50 pm

Thanks for the answers, and especially thanks to starleen2. I am still interested, has anyone been pulled over/ticketed/had run ins with LEOs by having "trailer" plates (utility trailer registration) instead of the maybe required "travel trailer" plates?

thanks

nick
Nick1970
Teardrop Inspector

Postby caseydog » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:21 pm

Nick1970 wrote:Thanks for the answers, and especially thanks to starleen2. I am still interested, has anyone been pulled over/ticketed/had run ins with LEOs by having "trailer" plates (utility trailer registration) instead of the maybe required "travel trailer" plates?

thanks

nick

Texas is so lax on trailers, to begin with, and I can't imagine getting a ticket on a Teardrop for not having a Travel Trailer plate. A standy might get pulled over -- maybe.

I see construction trailers all the time with bald tires, broken lights and crap bouncing around not tied down. If the cops aren't stopping the dangerous trailers, I can't see them stopping a TD for what may or may not be wrong plates.

Technically, many TDs should be fine registered as basic trailers, since they don't have "permanent living quarters and plumbing."

As far as my TD goes, I call it a cargo trailer with a cargo of camping gear. :thumbsup: :lol:

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby EVAC A SHACK » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:51 pm

When I registered one of my TD's as a travel trailer the inspecting DPS officer asked me why because the trailer was already registered. I explained that It really needed to be registered as a travel trailer instead of a utility trailer and his response was " The trailer is registered and no officer would hassle you on the technicality.

Eddie
EDDIE AND LINDA SMELLEY
LUFKIN, TX
EVAC A SHACK
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to South Central