lighting my coleman lantern why all the flames. No gas leaks

Lanterns, stoves, etc... anything old!

Postby caseydog » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:59 pm

That is not unusual with an old white gas lantern. When it does that, just dial back on the gas flow, even to the point of turning it off. Once the mantle starts to glow, gently turn the gas flow back on.

Sometimes mine fires up perfectly, with no "fire." Sometimes I have to work the gas flow to get that "glow" of the mantles, and then it burns perfectly.

When mine flames up, I just turn off the gas flow, and when I see the mantles start to glow, I just barely crack the valve open. It sometimes takes a few rounds of that game to get it going right.

The instructions tell you to open your valve 1/4 turn, but it is not that exact in the real world. You have to make adjustments on the fly.

You will get the hang of it as you use your lantern more and more.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:39 am

Until the generator heats up and starts generating gas as in vapor you are poring fuel direct and it will flare. I am still using the Coleman lantern my parents bought some time in the thirties and when I fire it up I make sure there is nothing flammable above it :wink:
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Zollinger » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:51 am

Thats just the way it is. Sometimes they pop right off and light, sometimes you gotta play with the valve. Each of my lanterns seem to have a different personality.
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby starleen2 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:00 am

Yep - I had one flame up on New years eve - But then cranked the valve closed until all the flames went out - then opened the valve and re light - worked fine for the rest of the night
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:17 pm

Another potential possibility....how long did it sit in the window and did the sun get on it during the day? Could be that if the valve were cracked a bit and the sun heated the font, it might have pushed some fuel up into the gen and flooded it. I've had tanks build pressure just from raising the temp in the garage from the 30's to 60 degrees. Just an idea. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby teardrop_focus » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:32 pm

slowcowboy

flame was coming out all over and underneath like the gas sipper tube to the valve wheel at the tank was loose.

It was not I tightened the hell out of it when reasembleing my lantern and it lit the last time on lighting number 2 since I reassmebled it with no problems and no flame.

I am guessing. when I looked I had the valve wheel wide open.

You've flooded the lantern. When that happens, shut it off and wait for the fuel that's now in the burner tube (and has leaked down the generator to the top of the fount) to evaporate before you try it again.

slowcowboy... lighting a Coleman lantern requires that you listen to the lantern. Listen to it very carefully, because they talk to you... and they let you know when they're ready.

It's also too easy to open the valve wheel too far. 1/4-turn is too much; just crack it open. Listen to the airflow, and as soon as you hear it "spit" there's fuel and it's ready to light. Don't wait more than three seconds, or the lantern will flood, creating the fireball.

caseydog

When it does that, just dial back on the gas flow, even to the point of turning it off. Once the mantle starts to glow, gently turn the gas flow back on.

...just turn off the gas flow, and when I see the mantles start to glow, I just barely crack the valve open. It sometimes takes a few rounds of that game to get it going right.

slowcowboy

I think it would help a lot if I also took the globe off before lighting and warmed the generator up with a match at least in the winter times and the temputures we are having right now in january.

Yes! You and CaseyGlen have summed it up nicely.

I usually take off the vent and the globe (because I've cleaned off the years of soot and smoke that others have left on there) to light my lanterns, then quickly reinstall the globe, vent and nut before things get too hot.

Good luck, and remember to listen to the lantern.

:thumbsup:

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:49 pm

teardrop_focus wrote:
lighting a Coleman lantern requires that you listen to the lantern. Listen to it very carefully, because they talk to you... and they let you know when they're ready.
. . . Good luck, and remember to listen to the lantern.

Coleman Zen
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby caseydog » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:13 pm

starleen2 wrote:Yep - I had one flame up on New years eve - But then cranked the valve closed until all the flames went out - then opened the valve and re light - worked fine for the rest of the night

Yeah, you were having major flare-up that time. I was standing four feet away lighting mine, and only flared up a little, and quickly kicked up a perfect glow. Two similar lanterns, same time, same environment.

That's just how they are.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:19 pm

slowcowboy wrote:one dumb question light the match before you crank open the valve wheel or after when you hear it spit.

Not dumb. I personally have my lighter lit before turning on the gas. I then gently open the valve, and sometimes, it lights up perfectly right from the start. Sometimes it flames up.

I don't remove my globe or cap.

It is a lot like starting a classic car. You just have to have a sensitive touch on the "throttle," and work it until the "engine" warms up. :lol:

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Zollinger » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:40 pm

starleen2 wrote:
teardrop_focus wrote:
lighting a Coleman lantern requires that you listen to the lantern. Listen to it very carefully, because they talk to you... and they let you know when they're ready.
. . . Good luck, and remember to listen to the lantern.

Coleman Zen

I get it. Am suppost to chant..... Cooooooaaaaallllllllmmmmmaaaaaannnnnn-Cooooooaaaaallllllllmmmmmaaaaaannnnnn-Cooooooaaaaallllllllmmmmmaaaaaannnnnn and pray to the Coleman gods that it don't flare up?
:R
Dawn
Zollinger
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Vintage Camping Equipment