It's Ended, RIP. Update 11/13/12

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:24 pm

i think that if hubby has anything to do with 500lbs of beer, the big D word might be in the works. :lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:14 pm

Here's the storage solution for your 500 pounds of beer. Replace the storage boxes under the bed with cases of beer!!! After the 10' standie is done, I am starting on this...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Anita Rae » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:20 pm

Well Mike, I'm glad you put a potty in that thing. With all that beer, your gonna need it. :lol:
Anita Rae
Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:28 pm

Okay, this evacuation has convinced me that I need some adult beverages packed, but I'm not a beer drinker any more. What I need is a wine cellar. I'm not a snob, so I'm willing to put boxed wines in the cellar, but I need space for at least one red, one white, and one rose. And I saw some nice metal goblets at REI, so I'll need a couple of those. The twins are too young to drink, but I'm sure I can find a friend to share a glass with. :lol:

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:07 am

i'd be willing to share a goblet or two with ya. :lol:
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Conedodger » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:15 am

Who's gonna be first to get a ticket for being "Druck in charge of a foamie"?
Conedodger
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:19 am

Cone, that remains to be seen ... :lol:

Now being somewhat of an "expert" at EVAC (too many times) we ALWAYS include a little of the mind altering "spiritus fermenti" in with the gear !!! Nothing like a little nip (strictly for medicinal purposes of course) to take your mind off the current disaster... ;) NEVER while driving .... naturally !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:10 pm

We're home!

This is what started the evacuation!

This fire started on Sunday, early afternoon. I took this picture at 3:00 pm that day, and the reports were that it had grown to 3500 acres and burned a dozen homes. By the next morning it was 40,000 acres! We are at least 7 years into a bad drought, some say 11 (we had a 48,000 acre fire 11 years ago). Our standing live trees have a lower percentage of moisture than kiln-dried lumber! The forest couldn't help but burn!

We had a few drips of rain yesterday before they lifted the evacuation, but it wasn't enough to do more than stick dirt to windshields. We had some more today, and my rain barrel is half full now. Some scofflaw who stayed in town was kind enough to feed and water our two backyard chickens, who were unkindly left behind with a running hose and a pile of food. They also watered my tomatoes, so all but one survived. I pride myself on my small car, but I'm embarrassed to say it was too small for two kids, a cat, a few changes of clothes, and two chickens, at least the way we packed. I need a new pet taxi to hold the chickens, and some practice getting the cat and chickens in ALONG WITH the other stuff, just in case this happens again this summer. Oh, and I need to do some work on the trailer so we have our own beds next time! Evacuating is expensive!

Catherine :shock:
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Those Poor chickens !!! I'll bet they even have names too ... :roll:

Glad you and yours are OK!!! ... Good feeling to come back and still have a place to live , and your chickens too ... :thumbsup:

Ps. Has anybody checked to compare these current drought cycles with the same in the past ... like the "Dust bowl" years ... seems just a naturally recurring pattern , over and over ... I remember a particularly long drought here in the early 60's ... :thinking: 30- 50 year cycles ... that seems about right ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:22 pm

I am soooo glad you are home and your little chickens were unharmed (as well as your tomatoes).

I have been going through scenarios of EVAC where I live. I doubt I could even get out of the area with the traffic. It's hard to do that on a good day. With the scenario, the thought of how to get the parrot and the dogs and the cat to play nice in a Rav4 did occur to me. LOL.

Again, glad you are home safe.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:27 pm

glad all is well also!

in these areas ratkity you will be better off using a bike or leaving on foot. i too have given it some thought. i think i will go as far in a vehicle as possible, then i think we will be walking. since there really is only one way out, that is north, everyone will be doing it. faster on foot or a bike.
which by the way, i am getting on friday! told the old man today i was going to finally buy my bike.
all the animals will be staying here and fending for themselves. sorry, but right now i would have 11 people to try and get out, no room for the critters. i know that sounds mean, but its our reality.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:40 pm

Eagle , I think where you live in ..... ....... ;) .... .......you're pretty safe ... can't think of much could happen save a Nor Easter... and you ride those out eh ??? ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:11 pm

GPW wrote:Eagle , I think where you live in ..... ....... ;) .... .......you're pretty safe ... can't think of much could happen save a Nor Easter... and you ride those out eh ??? ... :o

We had a hurricane (Isabelle?) where we lost power for 2 weeks. Just tropical speed winds, but already saturated ground which uprooted many trees. It's windy where Eagle is normally, not sure she even noticed when it came by! LOL.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:30 am

Rat, we lose power here during storms , it's like camping at home ... The wife doesn't much care for it , but I try to make it Fun !!! (just more practice camping !! )
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:21 am

well isabelle was suppose to be a 5 for us. so we all packed up and went to disney world. hubby stayed home. he said he was sitting out side and the wind blew and 1 leaf fell out of the tree and it was over. :lol:
so in our immediate area nothing happened. however in surrounding areas the damage was pretty bad.
rat is correct, we get horrible winds here normally, so the wind that came with isabelle was nothing compared to our normal winds.

the only serious thing i can think of for us is tsumis?, hurricanes. maybe a tornadoe. but at least with the hurricanes we will have notice and i will be bugging out.
Louella
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies