lets talk about the best way to keep our teardrops dry

Let's protect our teardrops! Let's talk sunbrella, carports, sheds and garages..

Re: lets talk about the best way to keep our teardrops dry

Postby mckenney56 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:55 am

Somewhere on here was a build a guy in the UK did where he built the teardrop inside a larger travel trailer. Will the village let you store a travel trailer in the back yard?
mckenney56
Teardrop Advisor

Postby canned o minimum » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:15 pm

I loved that build !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dan & Julie CO » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:41 am

How about this? https://www.convertiblegreenhouse.com/ tried to post video.
I think this would be great! 8)
Dan & Julie CO
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:01 pm

That's cute!

BTW, to post a youtube movie, just past the number of the movie... e.g. fEaaTZK6lWk and then put youtube tags around it.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby canned o minimum » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:06 pm

What a concept ! Grow yer own... teardrop !
canned o minimum
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dan & Julie CO » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:11 am

Thanks mike, I think on a bigger scale and with canvas instead of plastic it might work it's collapsible
Dan & Julie CO
The 300 Club

Postby byrdz1 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:04 pm

I heard someone talking about using pool noodles to keep a tarp off the teardrop and allow air to move around under the tarp. The idea is to string the pool noodles (or pipe insalators) on a rope and then have rows of them with some over the sides. Then the tarp is not in full contact with the treardrop and air should be able to circulate.
Just Remember, no matter where you go... there you are
byrdz1
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:46 pm

If you’re using a big Foamie box to protect your trailer , why not use it AS the trailer ... :thinking: Your tarp , built in ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dan & Julie CO » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:36 am

byrdz1 wrote:I heard someone talking about using pool noodles to keep a tarp off the teardrop and allow air to move around under the tarp. The idea is to string the pool noodles (or pipe insalators) on a rope and then have rows of them with some over the sides. Then the tarp is not in full contact with the treardrop and air should be able to circulate.

That would take oodles of noodles :lol:
Dan & Julie CO
The 300 Club

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:00 pm

One thing that's been used forever to drive off moisture in boats is to screw a lamp socket to a piece of plywood. screw in a 40W bulb and put a big coffee can over top of it. The air inside the trailer is more still than the outside air, so it can't hold as much moisture and the water vapour condenses on the inside surfaces - that's how mildew problems typically get started in boats, as opposed to actual water leaks. The warm coffee can keeps the air warm so the water vapour can't condense and pool inside.
For the volume you'd have in a little tear, even a 25W bulb would be lots. And of course, ventilation is king: don't let that air stop moving.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby jonw » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:54 pm

Wobbly Wheels wrote:And of course, ventilation is king: don't let that air stop moving.

Good advise. I always leave my roof vent and windows cracked a little to let air flow through.

Over the winter a kept a "bucket" of DampRid (I think it's called) inside and it absorbed some moisture. No mold come springtime...
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:40 pm

Wobbly Wheels wrote:One thing that's been used forever to drive off moisture in boats is to screw a lamp socket to a piece of plywood. screw in a 40W bulb and put a big coffee can over top of it. The air inside the trailer is more still than the outside air, so it can't hold as much moisture and the water vapour condenses on the inside surfaces - that's how mildew problems typically get started in boats, as opposed to actual water leaks. The warm coffee can keeps the air warm so the water vapour can't condense and pool inside.
For the volume you'd have in a little tear, even a 25W bulb would be lots. And of course, ventilation is king: don't let that air stop moving.

I've never heard about that trick before. Would that be enough for all winter long?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:32 pm

I had a 40W under a gallon (clean!) paint can that kept a 34' CHB trawler condensation-free all winter. The hatch up in the Vberth was cracked open a little and so was another in the aft cabin. It's a pretty common trick here - when you're going to work on someone's boat, you don't touch the can 'cause you know what it's for and you know it'll be hot...

I wouldn't think it would be enough on its own to dry out a wet boat, but for maintenance it works great and doesn't cost a lot.
You normally have power run to a stored boat to keep the battery charger on, so it's a whole lot better than going back every week to refill on of these with dessicant crystals:

I presume it would also work for frost (like a bare light bulb in a pumphouse) but I don't have any experience with that.
Winters here are wet more than cold: maybe not quite Seattle wet, but still really, really wet.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby Alan and Lianna » Fri May 18, 2012 11:15 pm

Well, we finally bit the bullet a had an 18' x 36' Carport installed!! No more working in the sun or rain and the teardrop is in the shade and Dry!!

Alan and Lianna
Don't just dream about it!
Wake up and make it happen...
Alan and Lianna
Teardrop Master

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sat May 19, 2012 12:44 am

Nice !
Now you've got room to build another...?
:twisted: :lol:
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Protection