NEW CONTEST WINNER!

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

NEW CONTEST WINNER!

Postby DRYVEM » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:39 am

Thought I would have a little DO contest. Mike gave me the go ahead, so bear with me as it is my first foray into doing something like this.

What I am looking for is a recipe for the Dutch Oven. You must post the recipe, complete with pictures of prep, cooking and finished product. A cooking narrative is welcome and if you tickle my funny bone with the narrative all the better. Post your entries in this thread. Contest open until May 9th Midnight PST. Winner announced May 11th.

Now the good stuff: THE PRIZE!

Thanks!
Barbara
Last edited by DRYVEM on Fri May 11, 2007 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbara
Proud owner of a 2010 Martin Built Teardrop
DRYVEM
Lifetime member

Re: NEW CONTEST!

Postby Ira » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:04 pm

DRYVEM wrote:And if you tickle my funny bone with the narrative all the better.

How many points for tickling?

Forget it--I'm NOT gonna buy one of those damn things.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Rob » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:02 pm

Ira--

You just don't want to go Dutch. I hear Amsterdam is nice this time of year. :lol:
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby Ma3tt » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:59 am

Are you going to make each recipe? If so, get some Tums right now !Do we have to send you a sample? Am I asking too many questions?
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby DRYVEM » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:16 am

Ma3tt wrote:Are you going to make each recipe? If so, get some Tums right now !Do we have to send you a sample? Am I asking too many questions?

No, yes, maybe! :lol:

Barbara
Barbara
Proud owner of a 2010 Martin Built Teardrop
DRYVEM
Lifetime member

Re: NEW CONTEST!

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:49 pm

DRYVEM wrote: What I am looking for is a recipe for the Dutch Oven...
Thanks!
Barbara

:thinking:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby wolfix » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:52 pm

This is going to be good. I spent part of this afternoon cruising Google studying DO cooking .......

I cook at home with cast iron, but the DO thing is not what I was thinking in the beginning.

Basically the DO is not a skillet, but a cast iron "crockpot." The DO uses heat from top to bottom to cook the food..... Where the skillet concentrates it's heat at the bottom..... Am I correct in my thinking?

I have a 4" deep 12" cast iron skillet with a lid....... Is that a form of a DO?

Ok....I may play with this tomorrow......

Barbara..... Give us a hint as to what your favorite type of food is....... Mexican, Italian, German, Greek, etc......... Or does your taste buds chase pies and cakes???
My specialty is Greek......
Any special diet items you avoid?

Are we going to get a "Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers Forum" cook book published with these recipes???

Thinking ...... :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
I have had this craving for Key Lime pie for 2 days now........ but that is not a DO thing.

Do we get points for being creative? Can we put a 3 course recipe in the contest if we use just one DO?
"I am the guy our parents warned us about."
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Postby Laredo » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:07 pm

This is NOT an entry as I have no way of doing the pics and my son made the dish.

Thursday night he made a regular (inside-the-box-lid recipe) New York Style Cheesecake.

In a 14'' DO.

With charcoal.

I have never ever ever tasted anything quite like that in my life.
I love it.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Joanne » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:54 pm

Actually, a DO is all of the things you mentioned. Oven, crockpot, bean pot or really deep skillet.

When I need to fry something, I can use bottom heat only to fry. When I want to bake, say bread, rolls or a casserole, I use bottom and top heat. You can do slow cooking, aka "crockpot", cooking by lowering the coal count and cooking longer. You can use it as a pizza oven by flipping the entire oven over and cooking the pizza on the lid.

Your 4" deep skillet could act as a dutch oven depending on how you cooked in it. I have an antique "spider" which is a combination of a DO and a skillet.

Joanne

wolfix wrote:This is going to be good. I spent part of this afternoon cruising Google studying DO cooking .......

I cook at home with cast iron, but the DO thing is not what I was thinking in the beginning.

Basically the DO is not a skillet, but a cast iron "crockpot." The DO uses heat from top to bottom to cook the food..... Where the skillet concentrates it's heat at the bottom..... Am I correct in my thinking?

I have a 4" deep 12" cast iron skillet with a lid....... Is that a form of a DO?

Ok....I may play with this tomorrow......

Barbara..... Give us a hint as to what your favorite type of food is....... Mexican, Italian, German, Greek, etc......... Or does your taste buds chase pies and cakes???
My specialty is Greek......
Any special diet items you avoid?

Are we going to get a "Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers Forum" cook book published with these recipes???

Thinking ...... :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
I have had this craving for Key Lime pie for 2 days now........ but that is not a DO thing.

Do we get points for being creative? Can we put a 3 course recipe in the contest if we use just one DO?
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby wolfix » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:01 am

Joanne wrote: You can use it as a pizza oven by flipping the entire oven over and cooking the pizza on the lid.

Thanks Joanne. That explains it better then searching all the stuff on Google.
The pizza thing...... The pizza sits on the lid.....Then you set the pot on that and use the actual pot to create the oven?
This is too cool. :lightbulb: :lightbulb:

Can a person cook multiple items if they have the same cooktime? Such as this...

Let me see if I have this correct......
I can cook in camp using just one cooking container.
I can have fun cooking using the DO.
Clean up is easy.
There is nothing to plug in.
And other campers will think I'm cooler then Wolfgang Puck.

I'm headed out later to look at them........
"I am the guy our parents warned us about."
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Postby Joanne » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:16 am

You have the pizza concept perfect!

Now, on to cooking multiple items. You don't layer the food items within a single oven, but rather stack multiple ovens one on top of the next, each with its own food inside. The "top coals" sitting on the lid of the lower oven act as the "bottom coals" for the oven above. This is called stacking.

Stacked ovens are an impressive sight to those watching. The down side is you have to unstack your ovens to monitor the food in the lower ovens then restack them to continue cooking. I have occasionally cooked in a stacked configuration when I'm feeding a large number of people.

Not too long ago I did two stacks. Each stack had pot roast as the bottom level, dressing as the middle level and vegetables as the top. After that was done, we threw one big pot of peach cobbler on the coals for dessert.

My only warning is that Dutch ovens can be as addictive as teardrops. Just yesterday I bought another Camp Chef 5" oven to cook rolls in.

Joanne

wolfix wrote:
Joanne wrote: You can use it as a pizza oven by flipping the entire oven over and cooking the pizza on the lid.

Thanks Joanne. That explains it better then searching all the stuff on Google.
The pizza thing...... The pizza sits on the lid.....Then you set the pot on that and use the actual pot to create the oven?
This is too cool. :lightbulb: :lightbulb:

Can a person cook multiple items if they have the same cooktime? Such as this...

Let me see if I have this correct......
I can cook in camp using just one cooking container.
I can have fun cooking using the DO.
Clean up is easy.
There is nothing to plug in.
And other campers will think I'm cooler then Wolfgang Puck.

I'm headed out later to look at them........
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:35 am

Wolfix,
Joanne wrote:My only warning is that Dutch ovens can be as addictive as teardrops. Just yesterday I bought another Camp Chef 5" oven to cook rolls in.

I'm not addicted, just enthusiastically involved...
Yeap... I have another 5"er coming from Japan via Jim's Mother-in-Law.
That will bring my total 5" oven count up to five.
I don't flip my ovens over to do pizza...
I dove right in and started using them, before reading about flipping the oven for pizza and got use to the way I do them. I use parchment paper and a wooden pizza peel to negociate the oven walls when removing the pizza from the oven.

Barbara,
I'm just waitin' for Joanne to post her entry, to see just how high the bar gets set before posting my entry. :twisted:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby cherokeegeorge » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:36 am

I cook pizza in my 12" camp chef lid because its a flat surface and has legs once the pot has been taken off and the moisture escapes the crust it crisps up perfectly, I serve it right there on the lid.

other campers are blown away when they see you making pizza in the camp.

And Dean a big thanks it was your enthuiasm for DO's that got me interested and the IRG that got me locked in. all my camping friends wish I would shut up about my DO's, but when it meal time their all lining up with fork and plate. :thumbsup:
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:39 pm

George,
Are you guys making it up to the Dam Gathering???
I'm planning on doing my deal for this contest there...
Hope you guys are and look forward to seeing yaa again. :thumbsup:
Question about your upside down oven technique...
Do you use a ring of somesort to act as an ash gaurd on the bottom of the oven when you have it flipped upside down like that?
Reason why I ask, I was gonna try the upside down method, but had no way to gaurd against ash flow.
I liked the fact that you could peak at the pizza without losing all the heat in the oven with that method.
So many things to try, so little time...
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby catrinka » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:59 pm

Where are you stacking the dutch ovens? In a fire pit? What do you do if there is no fire pit?
catrinka
500 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion