Anyone hanging their DOs from tripods?

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

Anyone hanging their DOs from tripods?

Postby caseydog » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:49 pm

I see the kind with feet at gatherings, but is anyone doing open fire cooking with a DO and tripod stand?

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:05 pm

I haven't had any experience doing it, the guy who gave the seminar at IRG said not use one. He had one at his camp but it was for looks. He said that it was an easy way to crack an oven.

Maybe someone here has their own experience using one? I'm kinda curious too.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby wolfy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:53 pm

I'd just have to say that I've been cooking in these things for over 35 years and I've never used a tri-pod, but it'd be my guess that it would be a bunch easier than using a bi-pod :thinking:
wolfy
Teardrop Builder

Re: Anyone hanging their DOs from tripods?

Postby Joanne » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:22 pm

caseydog wrote:I see the kind with feet at gatherings, but is anyone doing open fire cooking with a DO and tripod stand?

CD

CD,

I've know a few people that have played around with tri-pods, but I don't know anyone who uses one regularly. Do they work? Sure. But I can't see an advantage to one. I would be much more inclined to use fire irons like the ones pictured below. Using different length "S" hooks allow you to adjust the height over the fire.

This gives you a lot more usable space. A tripod is only good for one pot, irons can hang a number of pots and ovens at the same time.

These irons are from this site:

http://www.blackbearforge.com/fire-iron.htm

I am planning on making a set to see how I like them. I'll probably make the first set out of rebar. That way if I don't like to cook with them I won't have much money tied up in them.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Joanne » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:30 pm

Rocky,

He also said that you can't use PAM in your ovens and I do that all the time. People have been using cast iron over open fires since colonial times (and before). The cowboy cooks did it all the time too.

I think he may have playing a little fast and free with his "facts".

Joanne

asianflava wrote:I haven't had any experience doing it, the guy who gave the seminar at IRG said not use one. He had one at his camp but it was for looks. He said that it was an easy way to crack an oven.

Universal Health Care
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby asianflava » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:01 am

Joanne wrote:Rocky,

He also said that you can't use PAM in your ovens and I do that all the time. People have been using cast iron over open fires since colonial times (and before). The cowboy cooks did it all the time too.

I think he may have playing a little fast and free with his "facts".

Joanne

asianflava wrote:I haven't had any experience doing it, the guy who gave the seminar at IRG said not use one. He had one at his camp but it was for looks. He said that it was an easy way to crack an oven.

Yep, I figured as much, that's why I was curious to see what others thought. They have to be somewhat useful or they wouldn't still be around.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby caseydog » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:31 am

Joanne, I guess my real question was whether people are cooking over a fire with hanging pots. And, you answered it.

I hadn't given any thought to tripod vs. a bar, but the bar does make more sense.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:46 am

asianflava wrote:.... He said that it was an easy way to crack an oven. ....

I find this statement a little odd too...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

tripod

Postby Eunice » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:08 am

I have a tripod and just got a cast iron "bean pot". it has a pour ring on the side. I think it sat outside full of water for years becasue of the rust and flaking. At IDOS in Lapine I learned how to clean it up so as soon as I can i will use the tripod for soups, stews and chili type meals. I am curious how it works.
Will let you know
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby doug hodder » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:21 am

Rocky...was that the same guy that wore the full Nomex/ firefighting suit with headsock when we opened the pit BBQ? Just asking...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Woody » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:34 am

We have cooked in cast iron hanging over or on a grid over fire plenty of times and never had a problem so far. It is harder to control temps evenly though dependant on what we were cooking was the main problem. I think the real concern with a problem of cracking or more potential warping is to use decent quality (thicher) cast iron to compensate for uneven heating other than burning the food alittle. But then again I was hungary. I have never had a problem with that either. Of course now that I've said that I will have a problem :lol: :lol: I can see it now I will be the first camper killed by exploding Dutch Oven Apple Cobbler shrapnel. Yes I can see the headlines now :shock:
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby caseydog » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:14 am

I was wondering how this would work for slow cooking a stew or soup. Can you hang it high enough, without being ridiculous, to do a low-and-slow cook?

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Dan in Rhinelander » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:31 pm

caseydog wrote:I was wondering how this would work for slow cooking a stew or soup. Can you hang it high enough, without being ridiculous, to do a low-and-slow cook?

CD
If you note the chain in the picture here, we use this set up for our dutch oven, as well as a makeshift grill made from a small webber grill grate and some window sash chain. Adjusting for temperature is as easy as raising the chain by 1 link, or even 10 links.

Dan in Rhinelander
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Joanne » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:55 pm

caseydog wrote:I was wondering how this would work for slow cooking a stew or soup. Can you hang it high enough, without being ridiculous, to do a low-and-slow cook?

CD

Hey CD,

I think it's all about technique. If you want to slow-cook, you would want to control the height of the oven as well has how much fire is under the oven. I would hang my oven so it was at a medium height and use a shovel to move the coals/firewood under the oven. You wouldn't want to have it hung over a roaring fire, but rather a low cooking fire.

Joanne

Universal Health Care
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby WarPony » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:05 pm

I used a tripod to cook a big pot of beef stew. It worked great but I cooked the stew for a long time to break down the meat so I wasn't worried about goofing with coals on the top of the lid.

I like the tripod effect because it reminds me of the old cowboy movies when everybody was chillin' out around the fire after a long day.

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Next

Return to Cast Iron