Zodi heater

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Zodi heater

Postby deputydogrick » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:38 pm

http://www.zodi.com/hotvents.html anybody try one of these, look pretty interesting
Keep it fun, Move at your own pace, Don't get hurt
"Nurture your mind with great thoughts, for you will never go any higher than you think!" Joel Volk
You should never meddle with dragons...............for you are crunchy and good with ketchup
deputydogrick
Lifetime member

Postby BrianB » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:11 pm

That looks really cool but a little expensive. $300 for the unit and a big tank adapter.

I'd be really interested to see how that'd get mounted to a trailer, though.
BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby Gerdo » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:39 pm

I would think that the 9170 would be big enough for a TD. I'm guessing that "not for RVs" is because it would not be big enough for a usual RV. I like the concept.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sledge » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:47 pm

Yeah good idea............but, WAY Over Priced for me.... but it does make me think of a better plan on how to build one myself. ;)
sledge
500 Club

Postby Pdbeta » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:32 pm

Hmmm lets see? :thinking:
Place unit on ground near TD.
Start same. :twisted:
Open TD vent & fan goes on.
Crack windows just a smidgeon, and suck all that formerly vented gas fumes into trailer? :oops:
Meet maker :worship: and obseve very, very happy, neices and nephews at our wake! :thumbsup:

Makes my $10.00 ceramic heater investment look Grrrr-8! :D
Pdbeta
Teardrop Master

Postby mandy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:58 am

nothing really to it just Get some copper tubing or and wind it around top a single burner campstove, or you can get a wood stove heat exchanger and mont it on top the stove. Get some dryer vent tube connect it to the tubing and a battery opperated fan and you got the same thing. You do know that the unit has to stay on the out side of the tent/td because of the co2, you still have to go outside to start the thing. I am not impressed with the Zodi unit.

mandy
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby BrianB » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:20 pm

Yeah, a carbon monoxide detector should be the the very next thing purchased if you hook that thing to your teardrop. I thought that building one by hand would be pretty easy, too, but I'd be worried about efficiency and wasting gas. I would hope that they had tested their product out pretty well before putting in on the market. Probably plans online, though.
BrianB
Teardrop Master

Postby goldcoop » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:16 pm

The only real problem IMO is regulation of temperature.

No thermostat, just burner control...

If it gets too hot or cold you gotta get up & OUT to adjust the burner :roll:

Other than that I would think it would be pretty safe as propane heaters go.

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby rlphoto » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:41 am

I stumbled across these today looking for a heater for my motorcycle pop up camper I am building.

It got me thinking about building something also. Generally I will be at an electric site in the colder months, but I don't want the noise of an electric cube heater in the sleeping area and the hassle of trying to hang it some where.

So I thought maybe attaching duct hoses to both sides of a ceramic cube heater and leave the heater out side.
rlphoto
Teardrop Master

Postby razorback » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:34 am

We ususally camp at sites with electricity. Have honda 2000 gen for those sites that do not have electricity.

I purchased this unit last year. (the 18 X 24 inch size) We have used the 24 X 24 size in an 8 X 10 foot bathroom for several years.

The 18 X 24 inch size (only 280 watts) in my 5 X 10 TD works great. Fits on the rear wall of the cabin and is 3/4 inch from the wall. Does not get hot enough to worry about items that might accidentally touch the unit. It is a very soft warm heat that is not too dry like most ceramic units. No fan, no combustible fumes, no worries, just very pleasant heat.

Will be at LCG III for those interested in looking at the unit.
http://www.eheat.com/?gclid=CKT9isakkJYCFQE0xgodRHEVFQ
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rlphoto » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:02 am

razorback wrote:We ususally camp at sites with electricity. Have honda 2000 gen for those sites that do not have electricity.

I purchased this unit last year. (the 18 X 24 inch size) We have used the 24 X 24 size in an 8 X 10 foot bathroom for several years.

The 18 X 24 inch size (only 280 watts) in my 5 X 10 TD works great. Fits on the rear wall of the cabin and is 3/4 inch from the wall. Does not get hot enough to worry about items that might accidentally touch the unit. It is a very soft warm heat that is not too dry like most ceramic units. No fan, no combustible fumes, no worries, just very pleasant heat.

Will be at LCG III for those interested in looking at the unit.
http://www.eheat.com/?gclid=CKT9isakkJYCFQE0xgodRHEVFQ
Larry

Interesting. I wonder if it can touch the wall of the tent?
rlphoto
Teardrop Master

Postby razorback » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:56 am

The actual econ heat unit is about 1/4 inch thick and must be attached to a solid wall. The directions say an interior wall is best as it is usually warmer than an exterior wall. I guess you could make a small frame so it could become a free standing unit.
In our house the unit in the bathroom must have the door closed at all times.
When the house heat comes on the heat from the econo heater is sucked out quickly with the return air. Leave the door closed and the room stays toasty.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Arne » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:40 am

seems like those little bottles would go quickly. I bought a single bottle heater a few years ago to use in my shed, about 10x10 with no insul. I took it back as it was not big enough and emptied the bottle in about an hour.

wrong heater for the wrong place.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby rlphoto » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:59 am

The cabin size of my camper is actually a Kamp-rite tent cot and it is the size of a double bed with about 3 ft head room. There is no extra room anywhere for anything. I am mounting it crossways on its legs on a HF trailer, so there will be plenty of room under the cot for stuff.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/p ... 006&r=view

Any I am going to have a 12v electrical tap permanently in the ceiling, So I thought about making sure my 12 volt power supply is 15 amp plus, so I will get a 12 volt car heater,defroster that can be suspended from the ceiling.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/12volcerheat.html
rlphoto
Teardrop Master

Postby 07rascal » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:13 pm

rlphoto wrote:Any I am going to have a 12v electrical tap permanently in the ceiling, So I thought about making sure my 12 volt power supply is 15 amp plus, so I will get a 12 volt car heater,defroster that can be suspended from the ceiling.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/12volcerheat.html

Been there done that and took it back for a refund. Those suckers will put the hurts on a 12v battery in no time, and not produce enough heat to notice any change at all. In fact out body heat made much more of a change in cabin temp compared to that type of device. Those are primarily meant for a running automobile not a static battery.

If there is 110v available, we use our electric ceramic which will RUN you out of the TD naked in the middle of the night if you turn it up enough!!

We just got back from camping in Northern Michigan, hit 41 degrees a few nights...we were in NF campgrounds without electricity, and with those temps outside we were still at 58-60 inside, with no heat whatsoever.

Give it a try, but save the receipt! :worship:
Terry & Lisa
--------------------------------
From our LG Rascal to the Cabin-A.....The LG found a good home!

"When employed, live like your unemployed....so that when your unemployed you can live like your employed!!"

07rascal
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to General Discussion