Electro-Warmth

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Electro-Warmth

Postby Paul W » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:05 pm

Mike, Back on Sept 7th you wrote

mikeschn wrote:

I will be getting an electro-warmth mattress warmer to test in the Weekender. But you'll have to wait quite a few months for the results!!!

Mike...

Did you get a chance to test the Electro-warmth pad? www.electrowarmth.com (same as www.sleepwarm.com) (after market seller)

We are looking at getting one. What are the opinions on these. Are they worth the cost? Is there something comparable?
Camp-Inn
Paul, Canmore, AB
Paul W
Teardrop Builder

Postby Nick Taylor » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:18 pm

Paul,

I was also looking at the electrowarmth with the dual power option for my trailer.

Since I wasn't planning on cold camping that much I bought a 12v blanket from here. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=179627. For $20 it seems to work good enough for my needs. Haven't given it a thorough workout yet, just tried it in the car.

Nick.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Postby San Diegan » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:43 pm

I am a little bit concerned about the Electrowarmth. The T54 model is rated at 7.83 (max) amps. Assuming half time duty cycle to keep me and Mrs. Diegan warm, lets call the current consumption 3.9 (effective) amps.

If I have a D31M Optima deep cycle marine battery, I have 75 Ah to use on a fully charged battery. That gives me 19.23 hours of operation of the Electrowarmth. More than 2 nights of 8 hours of slumber. Less than 3 nights. And that is assuming constant behavior during battery depletion and no other sinks for energy (reading lights, water tank pump, stereo, DVD player, TV, etc.)

Of course, here in sunny California (hrumph), and assuming fair weather camping, the duty cycle might be much less than half time. And if one is at a site with hook ups, this is moot.

When I saw the initial reference to this and read about something similar in the Kuffel Creek plans, it seemed like a "must have". Now, I am not so sure I'll abandon the down sleeping bags or comforter.

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby twc3 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:31 am

I have the smallest Wal-Mart deep cycle battery marine battery, and the electrowarmth pad. I have a $40.00 solar battery charger from harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=41144 the charger seems to keep the system charged if all I use are the lights and the heat pad. The 12V system is not being used during the daylight hours normally so the solar charger can charge the battery during the day. I have not tried it but I think the battery would last a good 10 to 15 hours without the solar charger. I have run 3 days using only the 12V system lights and pad and the system hooked to the solar charger and have not had problems and still had ample charge when returned from the trip.

I have run into problems with consumption if I watch the 12V TV, which will change this year as I am going to change it for a portable DVD player with its own rechargeable batteries. Most places I camp I do not receive TV Reception anyway so regular TV will not be missed.

I have camped in as low as 15 Degrees with 15 to 20 mph wind and we were completely comfortable for a couple days. I also add a comforter when the weather requires, but I am not afraid to take off in the winter for several days, winter sledding and swimming are great fun.

I also really like the heat from below effect that the blanket produces; it is to the bone-soothing warm. The heat pad is thermostatically controlled so you can adjust the temp if it gets to hot or cold. I think it was worth the cost as it provides a safe heating alternative that is virtually out of the way. It also actually does a fair job of heating the cabin area, the cabin area is very small and my trailer is also insulated. They claim Truckers use the electrowarmth for the sleeper unit so they can turn off the truck at nigh to conserve on fuel and the sleeper units are about the same size as a Tear inside if not bigger.

Overall I am happy with the electrical capacity of the 12 Volt system incorporated into the Tear perhaps a larger battery would be nice but I have not needed it yet.

Enough rambling from me. :MLAS

Tom
twc3
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Arne » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:20 am

Looks like that charger will put back .4 amps /hour (since amp x volts = watts).... I don't know if it is topping off the battery , but at least you are replacing some of what you draw.

Do you have it permanently mounted on the top of the tear, or put it out temporarily?

Even extending the battery for a day or two on a multi-day trip would be handy, and the price is certainly good.....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby beverlyt » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:48 am

Tom,
We just bought the same exact solar charger that you have on sale.
Hoping it will help a bit with the power consumption too.
Haven't tried it yet..... Michigan..need I say more?
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby denverd0n » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:55 pm

San Diegan wrote:If I have a D31M Optima deep cycle marine battery, I have 75 Ah to use on a fully charged battery.

No, actually, you don't. The 31M is rated at 75 amp/hrs, but in reality if you draw more than about 45 amp/hrs from it without recharging you will be doing some damage. After you draw about 60 amp/hrs from it the voltage will drop low enough that few 12V devices will be able to function.

In general, you should not plan on more than a 50% discharge from a deep cycle battery. So, if you really want to be able to use 75 Ah you should get a battery rated at 150 Ah.
denverd0n
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Arne » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:17 pm

Is there a simple to use battery indicator that can be wall mounted? It would be nice to see at a glance if I should stop using the battery.

I assume it would be a simple 2 wire hook up that can be put on any hot set of wires, like input to a light switch on the wall.....

Would a simple volt meter be good enough?.......
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Arne » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:17 pm

Is there a simple to use battery indicator that can be wall mounted? It would be nice to see at a glance if I should stop using the battery.

I assume it would be a simple 2 wire hook up that can be put on any hot set of wires, like input to a light switch on the wall.....

Would a simple volt meter be good enough?....... I'm looking for cheap and easy<g>...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:26 pm

If you want to use a volt meter, this chart should help...

Voltage State of Charge
12.6+ 100%
12.5 90%
12.42 80%
12.32 70%
12.20 60%
12.06 50%
11.9 40%
11.75 30%
11.58 20%
11.31 10%
10.5 0%

More details here:
http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby BobR » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:57 pm

I have used my ElectroWarmth 12volt dual control for over three days without a recharge to my 115 A/H deep cycle battery. You will find that you will probably only use the lowest settings (1) during the night...put it on 3 and you will think your blood is boiling. I usually turn it to 3 about 15 minutes before I retire then turn it down to 1. I have used it with outside temps down to 28 degrees F. on some trips.

Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby twc3 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:10 pm

arnereil wrote:Do you have it permanently mounted on the top of the tear, or put it out temporarily?

No. Actually it is on top of a rubber maid box that sits in the back of the Explorer in full sun light.

Tom.
twc3
Teardrop Advisor

Postby San Diegan » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:38 pm

Arne, Mike,

We must all be on the same wavelength today. My next question was about some type of meter/monitoring for the state of the battery with a gauge or indicator in the galley or cabin.

Here is a thread with a battery charger with a battery charge level on it.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=2587&highlight=battery+gauge

I like that idea.

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby twc3 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:56 pm

For the Tester I went the Cheep and Cheesy way; I got a simple tester from Harbor Freight. It gives me a rough estimate of the condition of the battery at a glance. :D

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=92571

Tom
twc3
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gary G » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:39 pm

I have the smallest 12v single control model. I think it was $80.00 and it works great.Just had a chance to try it out this last week. I tested it with my digital voltmeter and it draws 5.5 amps.(No matter where the control is set.) My complaint is that it doesn't even register on the voltmeter until i get to the #3 setting. Anyone else have this issue????Other than that I fired it up about 30 minutes before bedtime and it was mighty cozy when I got in. my wife had me turn it off about 2 hrs. into the night. Anyway, i feel it works pretty well. :thumbsup:
Gary G
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion