vehicle shopping

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby Laredo » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:49 pm

If you still have that Intrepid and it is NOT the 2.7 6-cyl, you have a big advantage -- it's paid for.

They're pretty stout. Look into a Mopar hitch -- they're out there -- with a lift.
If you're building a tear you can get wheels to match your tow vehicle so you only have to carry one spare at a lot of boneyards.

In fact, I think a "Nascar-profile" Intrepid (the ones that look like big Avengers, ie 98 and newer) would look uber-cool with a tear behind it.

Check the profile:

and then -- anybody here do photoshop? I lost mine when the hard drive blew out -- check the hall of fame for the Custom Cub/Modernistic.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby catrinka » Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:56 pm

I still have the intrepid and its a 3.5L engine. I've had a few problems though and I'm not sure if I completely trust it for a road trip. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.
catrinka
500 Club

Re: Buyins a vehicle

Postby Denzagrad » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:35 am

quote="crankshaft"]Cathy

Far be it for me to say any thing bad about any vehicle, BUT,,,, Before I buy any vehicle anywhere at any time, I always check the consumer reports first..

Good Luck

Crankshaft[/quote]

For discussion only.

Crankshaft is correct. Always START with Consumer Reports. Also, avoid so called "demos," "program" cars, etc., as these are usually deceptive marketing games to sell rentals, lemon law buybacks, etc. (inside joke: what's the fastest car on the road? Answer: any rental car.) There are only two categories of vehicle's recognized by federal law: New or used. Used is defined as vehicle with no more mileage on it then necessary to test drive or sell the car. This federal set of rules is why you see a "Buyers Guide" sticker on the windows of irrefutable used cars. Where dealers play games is where the vehicle has not been titled yet or the prior sale was negated for some reason. If looking for used, research the vehicles complete service history and have the vehicle inspected by experts of two types: Mechanical and body. The majority of mechanics DO NOT know how to spot hidden prior accident damage unless its blatant.

Research pricing on line: Kelly Blue Book is free but is designed for retail consumer use. Thus, its trade in prices are often lower than reality and its retail prices are often higher then reality. People "think" they are getting good deals when they reference the KBB. Consider, professionals use sources like NADA or auction reports, not KBB.

Never buy on the day you first look at it. Never let them walk you through the paperwork. Never sign a power of attorney with a car dealer even if they say its just for titling purposes. A lot of "rebates" are stolen by dealers adding the rebate amount into another amount in the paperwork "swallowing the rebate." Take the paper work home and review it with somebody who knows what the language/fine print really means in the documents. Do you really want to buy a new car "AS-IS," waive all rights to recover anything but more repairs if its a lemon and agree to pay the dealer if you try to recover and cannot? People are presumed to have read all the fine print in the contracts they sign...

This is barely scratching the surface on what to look for and what to lookout for. I'm in the process of writing a book for prospective car buyers because of the bad things I have seen.
Denzagrad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Proud2BCDN » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:46 am

Cathy,
You may want to look at a Jeep Liberty CRD (Common Rail Diesel). You'll get very good mileage for an SUV. Also up north there'll be no shortage of places to get diesel fuel.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/05liberty_crd.htm
Proud2BCDN
Teardrop Builder

Postby catrinka » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:01 pm

I hate to say this but I really didn't like the feel of the Liberty. I couldn't get the seat into a comfortable position. I found it uncomfortable just here in town, I couldn't imagine driving it for any length of time on a trip.
catrinka
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:04 pm

Hey Cathy,

I notice the same thing while checking it out at the auto show in Detroit. It's not a comfortable vehicle to me...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby catrinka » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:12 pm

I test drove the Liberty and the Equinox the same day and it was like comparing a K-car to Cadillac. And they were basically the same price. Plus the salesman at Dodge didn't help, he couldn't tell me if the liberty I was driving was 4 or 6 cylinder.
catrinka
500 Club

Postby Laredo » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:35 pm

How old is your Intrepid? What kind of problems have you had with it?
There is a web forum called allpar.com that is great for Dodge owners.

I don't care much for K cars, as my experience with used ones. However, on the strength of driving Chrysler products all my life -- I started in '74 -- I can say firmly that if you keep up with oil changes, watch the belts and hoses, and don't get in a wreck it's quite easy to put 200-250K on a Slant Six engine and at least 250K on a 318. My sons have 1992 and 1993 Dakotas with the V-6s, and I think those are going to turn out to be pretty good too.

I don't have a lot of affection for the Jeep. I drove a rental last spring in the Rio Grande Valley. I also drove a Caravan Sport, a Stratus, and a Neon. Of the five (two neons) vehicles I had a chance to give extended trials (3 months in all; kept each vehicle at least 2 weeks) I liked the silver or white Neon with the automatics the best -- the dark blue one got too hot in South Texas in May and altho a 5 spd 4 cyl is great on gas, in endless construction zones it gets old not abusing a clutch.

A year before that I drove a rented PT Cruiser, and the summer prior to that I had a Grand Prix, an Intrepid, and a Stratus. Of them all, I liked best the Intrepid with the 3.5. (HINT: Get the salesman out of the car. Open the hood. Underneath it, near the latch, is a sticker with the engine displacement, etc. on it. Will tell you lots -- but yeah, a salesman who doesn't know if a vehicle is a six or a four is not impressing me, either.)

My dad worked as a Chrysler mechanic for 44 years, though, and I grew up around them. So maybe I am a little prejudiced.
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby DestinDave » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:31 am

Of all the cars I've owned my Chrysler/Dodge vehicles have been the best. Not necessarily the most fun (Triumph Stag, Vette, and 280ZX take those honors) but certainly the most reliable. I had an '82 New Yorker 5th Avenue and put 273K on it and only replaced a water pump and starter motor. Like Laredo says, take care of 'em and they'll take care of you.
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby Bobgorilla » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:31 pm

:thumbsup: I have had excellent luck with Toyota and Dodge, horrible luck with Ford :cry: . All were pickups, 2 Toyotas (each had one minor problem) and a Dodge Dakota with a 318 it had one recurring problem with the radio but it's a screamer :twisted: and good tow vehicle. Hate paying for the gas now but its got 177,000 miles of real abuse and still runs good. The Ford had 2 motors, 13 transmissions and no original running gear except the read end :x . I won't ever own another Ford truck. I think that the Nissan xterra is the most comfortable and most capable( with new motor 265 hp) of the smaller suv's but I don't know alot about the reliability. my 2 cents
if you're not bleeding you're not really working
Bobgorilla
Teardrop Dreamer

Postby Laredo » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:37 pm

Bob,
what kind of mileage are you getting in the Dakota?

i'm getting 17 mpg in my full-grown club cab. :) Starting Monday my daily commute's 110 miles each way. :0
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby SteveH » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:40 pm

Starting Monday my daily commute's 110 miles each way.

Laredo,

You must be driving all the way to Amarillo to work! The way I figure it, it will cost you $28 a day just for gas.

Hope the job pays well. :roll:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Laredo » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:17 pm

Steve,
um, well ... all the way to the WTAMU campus...yeah, I'm thinkin' I'll make a little money on a Palo Duro Canyon camping night now and then. :)

But yes, it pays $14-plus per hour. I used to do a Brownfield-Big Spring daily for $8 an hour (1987-89). I'm thinking that I will want to find a place to stay over Monday-Thursday nights. Maybe even get myself a semi-permanent campsite ...

:eyebrows: :yes: :whistle:
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Bobgorilla » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:35 pm

I also get about 17 mpg, on the highway and if I'm good. :twisted: I have a bad tendency to be a in hurry most days though. Good luck on your long trips. As a tip, when I drove over the road I found that chewing gum helped to keep me awake. My theory is that its harder to yawn when you are chewing, but for whatever reason it works for me :thumbsup:
p.s dakota is regular cab but no bed cover, on one of the Toyotas I had a bed cover and I got 2 mpg more after I installed it
if you're not bleeding you're not really working
Bobgorilla
Teardrop Dreamer

Postby Laredo » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:25 pm

well, the 17 mpg went up to 18 for a purely-OTR tankful. So that's good, especially since I'm averaging 68 mph (cruise set at 70 between towns).
Good news: mornings, sans coffee, I can do it nonstop. Gas is cheaper in Canyon. Bad news: I hate the idea of putting 1k plus a week on my pickup, especially since I'll be needing to find an oil change option on weekends.
But it sure beats taking a pigeon in the chest on a Honda Hawk en route to school ...
Laredo
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic