New from PA! (now my design idea thread!)

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

New from PA! (now my design idea thread!)

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:23 pm

Hey everyone! Name is Zach and I'm looking at starting a build in about a month. I looked into building a teardrop 2 years ago, but had no place to do it... but now my girlfriend and I will be moving into an apartment with a garage at the end of February!

My budget is limited, so it will be pretty basic to start off - probably no galley (other than a shelf) or electric. My base will be a Harbor Freight non-folding 4x8 w/ 5.30-12" wheels (the 1720lb model), and I am looking at doing a soft-top.

I'll be coming up with ideas and plans in AutoCAD over the next month, and I'm sure I'll have questions!
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby goldcoop » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:45 pm

Welcome Zach!

This coming Sunday we'll have a couple of TD's on display @ RB Winter SP "SnowFest"

:shock:

You're welcome to join us!

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:07 pm

Hey Zach!

I live in Manchester! Welcome to the board! PM me it you want to get together or see my build or have questions, etc.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby BillandMarijo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:18 am

Zach,
Welcome to the forum. Youve got some expert builders down your way. Check em out. Good luck on the planning and your build.
Enjoy,
Bill and Marijo :applause:
Hope to see you on the road.
Bill and Marijo

Also We Are On Facebook
Friend Us.
Bill Peterman
Marijo Haselbarth Peterman
BillandMarijo
500 Club

Postby Sam I am » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:19 am

Welcome from another Pennsylvanian, Zach. I'm in Centre County, and I'm an AutoCAD user, too. I have some drawings of my teardrop if you need them.
Sam
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:46 am

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! In the past 24hrs I've already found a TON of great info on this site!

goldcoop wrote:This coming Sunday we'll have a couple of TD's on display @ RB Winter SP "SnowFest"

Unfortunately I'll be stuck in the office this weekend... deadlines uggghhh!!! Maybe next time!

toypusher wrote:I live in Manchester! Welcome to the board! PM me it you want to get together or see my build or have questions, etc.

Thanks!

Yeah I'd definitely be interested in checking it out! Once I get the basic structure figured out, the doors/seals are the issues that I'm going to need some direction with! Do you have pictures or a thread for your TD?

BillandMarijo wrote:Zach,
Welcome to the forum. Youve got some expert builders down your way. Check em out. Good luck on the planning and your build.

It definitely seems that way! I cannot wait to get moved and get started!

Sam I am wrote:Welcome from another Pennsylvanian, Zach. I'm in Centre County, and I'm an AutoCAD user, too. I have some drawings of my teardrop if you need them.
Sam

I may have to check some of them out! Would you happen to have section cuts through typical door seal styles? I havent decided on whether or not I want to spend $200 on a prefab door, or save the cash for now and just rig it myself. I'm leaning towards making the door myself just because of the cost.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:09 am

Oh, and I've picked a set of plans to base my design from.... convertible style!! :twisted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=150408635231&Category=102362&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2[/url]
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Sam I am » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:42 am

Zach, the drawing I made of my teardrop has a section view of the door, frame, and wall in it. I can send you the drawing if you like. It's in AutoCAD 2000 format.
Sam
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:56 am

Sam I am wrote:Zach, the drawing I made of my teardrop has a section view of the door, frame, and wall in it. I can send you the drawing if you like. It's in AutoCAD 2000 format.
Sam

Yeah that would be great! PM'd you.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby rxc463 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:06 am

Welcome aboard Zach. Always good to see another member on the Pa. list. Good luck with your build!
Russ

Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
rxc463
The 300 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:06 am

rxc463 wrote:Welcome aboard Zach. Always good to see another member on the Pa. list. Good luck with your build!

Thanks!

Sam - Got your drawing file... looks great! Looks like that was a 5x8 Harbor freight trailer.... If I were to get the 4x8 trailer with the 12" wheels, do you know of any other difference, other than the width? Is the ride height and wheel location similar?
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Sam I am » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:39 pm

Zach, I used a Red Trailers 5'x8' trailer. I think their 4'x8' is the same, just narrower. I think that HF's trailers are the same. I picked the Red Trailers unit because I like the tongue design with the center spine, rather than just an A-frame like the HF models. I'm sure it's stronger. Red Trailers is in PA, too, at Quakertown. I drove there and picked mine up and saved some shipping cost.
Sam
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby teardrop_focus » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:07 pm

Hey Zach! Welcome.

Kerry/toypusher said you stopped by to check his tear and that you're super pumped now.

:lol: :thumbsup:

Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Git R done!

:dancing

"There is something about these little trailers that brings out the best in people." - BigAl, Scotland, 2010

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees...
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away like autumn leaves..." - John Muir, 1898

Chris Squier / teardrop_focus :-)~
teardrop_focus
Donating Member

Postby Kens » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:11 pm

Hellow from Valencia Pa. I am sure we will meet some where. Welcome.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Trailer

Postby paperdoor » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:47 am

Hey Zach , your choice , but look into the trailers at Tractor Supply , for under a buck more they have a 4x8 , pre build solid frame, no- bolt together - the HF I have , I spend alot of time welding up the joints, not a very sturdy trailer just bolted together - and plus you can just drive away with the TractorSupply, and go strait to the DMV for tags and then the lumber yard of your choice. :?
paperdoor
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves