"Red Woof Inn" 10-16 update Hubcaps!

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: "Red Woof Inn" Campable 9-13

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:42 pm

Congratulations! :applause:

We await those maiden voyage pics! :pictures:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Loader » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:59 pm

Hot D@mn Cliff!! Congratulations!!

Glad the RWI is campable, you have done a great job! :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: Look forward to seeing pics from your travels and perhaps meeting you at a gathering someday.

WELL DONE!
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Go Cli-iff, go Cli-iff, go Cli-iff!!! (I will leave the pom pom cheerleader girls up to your imagination :lol: :lol: ) :thinking:

Nice job, and + another 1 on the pics. :thumbsup:

Don't be surprised if your friend will not weld on your trim in place. The heat involved would certainly damage the materials underneath, if not set the whole thing on fire :shock: :o :x :cry: :frightened: :?

Aluminum sucks heat like crazy and once the silicon has been applied it would be very difficult to get back off. Aluminum needs to be super clean for good welds.

You may be better off looking at something like JB weld to fill in, sand flush, scuff the whole thing, mask, then a faux aluminum spray paint to finish (or 'trim black' to match your other trim work). Just saying.

Hope you have a blast on your maiden. You should be very proud! :thumbsup:

Ship another one to the Hall Of Fame.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Woodstramp » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:12 am

Man, you guys did a great job. Glad you two get to give it a go, too. Hope I get to see it in 3D one day.
Woodstramp
The 300 Club

Postby CliffinGA » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanks all this is coming in live from inside RWI after a couple of great days in it. Pulled great but I am switch the 12" wheels with the 14" from my other tear as I believe it will set better. Roomy is the key word inside but will be modifying a few things and adding others, over all vary pleased and lots of compliments. The tearjerkers group was great and lots of people from other states here. Pics tomorrow and now going to crash.

Cliff & Sheri :thumbsup:
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: "Red Woof Inn" Camping 9-15

Postby CliffinGA » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:40 pm

Thanks all had a great time and enjoyed the tear tremendously (sp) and so did Sheri and the pups! Have a few things going to changelike wheel size and add like cup holders inside and hooks for keys and such. Tonight mainly going to add some pics and then head to bed as I'm wooped :lol:.

RWI at my work, a lil show and tell on the way to the mountains:

at the campsite:

inside I had lil imput on the decorations:

Well thats all for now but I have some more pics in my gallery of some of the other trailers and people at the GA Tearjerksers gathering! Had a great time and enjoyed our first outing, even had some sparking cider with Sheri to celebrate, a surprise for her and a shock to me when she wanted to break the bottle on the roof of the tear :shock:!! I immediately removed the bottle from her vicinty and hid it :lol:! Well had a great time and more work but we can take it camping!

Cliff :thumbsup:

ps: I need to ask Dogie Doug if I can get patched for waffle dogging! Mine came out great on Sunday!!

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: "Red Woof Inn" Home 9-17

Postby CHUNKYMONKEY » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Looks really good. Where did you pick up the trim on the hatch? I need some of that. I got my hatch built this weekend and the first piece of skin cut but not glued. I'm getting close.
CHUNKYMONKEY
Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:53 pm

Mine is 1/8" thick aluminum angle that I couldn't anneal so I put a cut on one side nearly every inch to get it to curve. A friend that is a hotrod builder and metal worker by trade told me to bring it by sometime soon and he is going to try and either weld it and bruch it back out or he;s going to anneal a couple of more pieces. This week switching to 14" rims and trying to decide on aluminum d-plate or chrome or steel and paint for the fenders. Angela you should have came up this weekend and looked, lots of nice trailers and some tears. A few gave me some ideas even. Our chapterdirector has a 70's Scotty that was restored by Ross Wade and was beautiful! He had some cabinet latches that were new but old style that I'm looking at for my lower galley doors. I'm making them to swing down, so want a latch that locks when closed and not going to fall down when traveling. Can't wait to see yours!

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby down under tech » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi Clif: You made it!!! I like how your TD turned out. It looks real good. The first trip out in it is always the one to remember. I hope you have many more enjoyable trips in it. :thumbsup:
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby campmaster-k » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:16 am

Great work Cliff. I am glad you had a great time. Congratulations. :applause: :applause:
-Kirk

>TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB

>CEO Coleman Recovery Inc.

>Nor Cal Camping Pinewood Racing Team

Build thread -

viewtopic.php?t=45307&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180

Check out my Pictures -

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... 0QQtppZZ24
campmaster-k
Lifetime member

Postby CliffinGA » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:38 pm

Thank you! Today was spent as a dog day mostly as Sheri was out of town and rhe dogsspent alot of time in their kennels this week so I pretty much stayed in the house watching my recorded shows and chill'in til 3pm and then I took the pups out and staked them in the shade and started to work on taking the 14" wheels and tires off the old tear and started switching them onto the new tear and thats when I ran into a hic cup! Yep another one.... the tires hit the tear! So Sheri got home as I was trying to figure it out and wanted to go out and eat, on the way we ran by Autozone and I picked up a set of wheel spacers 1/4". Well they of course were the wrong size so back to AZ for the correct size, all they had was 5/16" lil more than I thought I needed but what the heck. Got home and put the wheels on and have clearance bt not alot so will have to look at getting bigger ones and new longer studs, because I think it looks better with bigger tires on it.
I've also been thinking of the lower cabinets and storage and from the other thread on how to protect them. So I am designing the left door on the bottom to be a plate holder also that will protect them during my driving :lol:, yes that is a much need protection! Not a whole lot to update just trying to get stuff figured up so I can do a lil when we're not camping!

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jbyrd » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:14 am

Turned out fantastic cliff!!!! :thumbsup:
Til later, See ya
Jeremy

My build journal #1 "SOLD" : viewtopic.php?t=45945
my build journal #2 "SOLD": viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59216
jbyrd
Teardrop Master

Postby CliffinGA » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:06 pm

Today was a good day and nearly a really bad day!Last couple of weeks been to budy to do much to the RWI until the last week or so, last weekend went to Summit Racing and purchased a set of Billet Aluminum wheel adapters/ spacers because I switched the 14" wheels and tires from my old tear over to the new and the wheel was touching the wall! So I dropped $99 for a set of these:

and I got them installled correctly I thought!
This weekend Sheri had a meeting and her friend in a town on the other side of Atlanta (Newnan), her and her husband were going to be around their shop so we could bring the tear over and he would help me do some mounting of some stuff that needed welding. Well we got up early and on the way I had something either blow or stop working either on the truck or the trailer on the right side because my turn signal was going crazy. So I dropped Sheri off at her meeting and went to a near by parts store and checked and I had a block buld in the front turn, no biggee! This is where I had first person to walk up with her son and ask if this was something for my dogs to be carried in :lol: , oh yeah they may have gotten that idea from this our new decals I installed Friday night!

Well I explained what it was and showed them around the tear and no sooner than they turned around another gentleman stopped by and asked me what it was! Well 30 mins later I could finally pull out and head over to HF to get a new jack for the RWI, I wanted one I could weld on and that you just pulled a pin and mover the jack so it didn't hang down to drag on the road when you leave somewhere. So picked it up and headed back to pick up Sheri and get on the highway headed to Newnan. We got there in an hour and half and arrived at Sheri friends husbands shop, I knew he was a mechanic but did not realize he owned a hot rod shop!!! No pics as the vehicles were not his but customers that he was working on at the time, 31' ford coupe, 50',52', and a 55' chevrolet trucks and a 62' chevy step side and a 64' ford galaxy 500 big block car! Yes I was drooling! Kelvin helped get the tear backed in and we started looking at ideas to mount the fenders to the trailer and settled on using square tubing weleded to the bottom of the fenders and then welding them to the trailer, hour later we were done!

Sheri wants me to clean them up and them clear coat them and I will but first I will primer the tubing we mounted and the frame and paint them black! From there we moved to the new jack and 20 minutes later it was done
Top wind and a foot plate but it is rated for 2000#'s and I can pull the pen and set in the truck or the tongue box. Kelvin then showed the new tubing bender he bought this morning and we started out with the square channel tubing I had purchased to use as trim on the galley wall, 2 hrs later and we had both sides done!
It came out really well and from the pic you can see where I removed the angle I used on the hatch, well we tried and unfortunately we couldn't bend it with the dies he had but he took templates from both sides and I left him the 2 new pieces I purchased and he is going to bend it when he locates so old square dies he has somewhere and I can pick the up next week!

So sounds great so far you say right! Well we left them there and headed to a restaurant where they were to meet us at and as soon as I got a mile away I could feel something was different and could hear a noise from the trailer, Sheri swears at that time she didn't hear a thing! 3 miles further the noise grew and she could hear it then and I pulled into Wal-fart and pulled over so I could look the tear over and didn't see anything as I walked around. So I has Sheri pull forward as I watched and I about had a heart attack the drivers side wheel was flopping!! I had her stop and I got the truck jack and four way and pulled the wheel off and had a lug nut that was holding the adapter on land on the ground! That stud was missing and the rim was holding the lug nut in the hole in the adapter! As I check I found 3 of the other studs almost completely loose from the nuts and only 1 was still tight!! Long storie short our friends were called and brouht me a bi wrnch to hold the hub and I was able to tighten the 4 nuts and get the studs reseated,and adapter firmly attached to the hub and then the wheel remounted to the tear. Our friends drove their beautiful 55 Chevy 210 to help and we all went to a nice dinner to pay them back for their troubles. Funny thing about it all had 8 people stop to offer help, froma 50 yr old woman who offered to run us any where we needed for parts to a nice guy named Randy who is building a squared kind of weekender and stuck around helping us after getting a tour of the trailer from Sheri. I had to pull out the jack stands and keep the trailer stabilized because my sweet wife nearly collected my life insurance when I was trying to tigten the huts into the adapter using a small adjustable wrench and a socket and she slammed the passenger door and about knocked the trailer off the jack, thanks too my new fenders my head was under tem and my legs [artially under the frame!! Enough rambling except the rest of the bad evening, on the way home I was pulled over twice and 2 warnings issued, license plate lights on tear and the truck were blown and then while back the tear into the driveway, it went to ar to one side and I cruched the tongue box and the lid won't close! Well thank fully we're home and the tear is in the garage and I had to take some coug syrup with a lil pain relieverand now I can relax till tomorrow!

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: "Red Woof Inn" 10-6 update ......Sorta!

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:28 am

:shock: WOW! What a story!
You've certainly had your share of troubles, building your trailer. I think the trailer gremlins that I have had went to visit you.

While your new wheels and fenders look nice, with all the problems it caused, are you still glad you did it?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: "Red Woof Inn" 10-6 update ......Sorta!

Postby CliffinGA » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:46 am

Yes, less stress on wheel bearings for one, 12" wheels travel alot farther and faster than your vehicle. And here in ga you have to have fenders. The tongue box will just need some persuasion to get it un tweeked.

Cliff

My Build:

CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals