Benroy Bicycle Hauler - updated 2011-05-16

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Benroy Bicycle Hauler - updated 2011-05-16

Postby TBuilder » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:20 pm

So I wanted the smooth lines of a teardrop, but the utility of a cargo trailer. The Benroy is the closest thing I guess.

Here's the specs:
* 5'x8' trailer
* 6' tall x 8' long, I may change that to 5'x8', scratch that... now it'll be 4'x8'

I don't know how to use one of those fancy CAD/Drawing programs, so graph paper it is!

The overall shape/dimensions have been figured out, just need to make a decision on building material.

Thought about going the HF/TSC/NT pre-made trailer route, but figured for an extra $150, I'd rather get a custom built trailer.
Matter of fact, I just got back from the trailer shop and it's all welded, just waiting for enough trailers to be built before they do a mass paint job (black).

Looks like it'll be a busy weekend.

Last edited by TBuilder on Mon May 16, 2011 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
TBuilder
Teardrop Advisor

benroy

Postby 3822sean » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:39 pm

:thumbsup: sounds good have fun with it i picked the benroy also, almost finished well kinda
3822sean
Teardrop Master

Postby TBuilder » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:27 pm

Yeah, I like how you've done yours. Hope mine turns out as well as your trailer.
TBuilder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TBuilder » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:08 pm

Well, no trailer yet. I guess it's all for the best. We had a lot of rain; and still are actually.
TBuilder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TBuilder » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:29 am

It was a busy weekend.
I think for cost/availability reasons, will use 4x8 plywood. Here's a non-artist's rendering of the teardrop with its intended cargo.

Friday, got the trailer.

And some wood (3/4" 4x8 birch) + a bunch of 2x4 and 2x6 for the floor. These tables were built using some used, but in good shape palettes that I bought for... $4 each or something like that from a local palette shop. The palettes are either oak or oak+pine. Really heavy.

Assembled the floor. I had to use a 2x6 for the sides so that it'd cover the flanges that I had them weld on the trailer for bolting the floor to the trailer.

Painted the underside. I used fence paint from Tractor Supply. Only needed half a gallon for 2 coats + a little touchup here and there. I'm glad it was a nice day, and I was able to paint outside. That stuff had the STANK!

Next comes the sides. I toyed with the idea of building my own fixed lexan windows, but am going to try this rv place down the road to see if they have any leftovers from repairs/upgrades.

Also, I've been toying with the idea of using pvc somewhere in the construction to cut down on weight, even though I think the teardrop will be pretty light since it won't have a galley.
TBuilder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby CliffinGA » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Looking good T, if they have some windows let me know and where their located at.

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TBuilder » Mon May 16, 2011 8:51 am

Cliff,

I just stopped by there yesterday. They didn't really have much us "builders" could use. Just some token vents/lights. The parts guy was really helpful in looking for a glass shop that might sell some of those fixed window gaskets though.
I noticed from the highway that they had basically doubled their lot size, and asked the parts guy about it. He said they were expanding for both sales and service, but mostly service. Which made sense... those things can be a pain to maneuver.

Almost forgot, here's their website: http://rvworldofgeorgia.com/ They can only be accessed from Hwy-124.
TBuilder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TBuilder » Mon May 16, 2011 9:16 am

Wow, has it been over a month? The project stalled for one reason or another, mostly because I hadn't decided on windows/doors etc.

But I decided I'd build it as I went.

Here's a picture of the bicycle on the trailer, with one of the walls being held in place to give me an idea of how much room I'd have.

Here's a closeup of how much headroom I'd have (minus the spars).

Here's a distance shots of the walls being held in place by some scrap wood. I like the profile.

Here's a bird's eye view of the progress. I haven't connected the walls to the floor because I haven't decided if I'll make the whole thing rotate/lift up or just build a traditional hatch.

The spars are 1x3 yellow pine. At the location where I would put the hinge if I were building a traditional hatch, I glued some red oak 1x3's together to form 2 2x3 spars so the hinge screws can have a truly solid foundation.

Up next is to completely fill in all the spars, and see how much the walls+spars weigh, to see if it's feasible to make everything above the floor lift up.

FYI, the 5x8 trailer, made of 2x3 angle on a 3500lb axle weighs 330lbs, just the steel itself, no subfloor etc. I'm hoping that when all is said and done, it'll weigh less than 600lbs, especially since I won't have a galley.
TBuilder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aggie79 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:38 am

Love the profile!

I think you'l be very happy with a custom trailer. I have a HF utility trailer, and it has served me well over the years, but I had a purpose-built frame made for my teardrop.

I know you said you are trying to decide on windows, but I'm still a little confused as to how you're going to use the trailer - as a utility trailer, camper of both?

Keep up the good work!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby TBuilder » Mon May 16, 2011 9:53 am

It'll be primarily a cargo trailer, shaped like a teardrop. The windows will be just for some daylight while I'm moving around in there tying the bikes down, looking for tools etc. so it'll be optional.

We do a lot of bicycling, and after a day's riding, the last thing I want to do is unload the bikes from the van, and wheel them to storage. This way, when we get home, I just unhitch from the trailer, then I'm done!

We have some acres of heavily wooded land behind our house (our neighbor came over the other day to tell us about her dogs chasing off a mountain lion)... I'm sure once it's done the kids will want to go "camping" back there before it gets too hot. Other than that, it'll be used for transporting/storing bicycles.
TBuilder
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Build Journals