Benroy Woody

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Benroy Woody

Postby Midget » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:04 pm

Bryan,

We purchased a non offset hinge and did not space it or notch the wall. I used one length of aluminum molding from the front of the trailer to the back. It is notched where the hinge passes through. On the galley side I used the rubber seal from Vintage Technologies. I figured that the T molding would smash down the rubber into the aluminum molding and make the seal. Everything worked out right.

Here it is in the closed position.

Hope this helps.
Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby Midget » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:15 pm

Just finished up a few last details before we leave for our first outing. The 110V power was hooked up. Found the outlet in the cabin was cross wired between hot and neutral so that was fixed. Finished undercoating the underside to seal up the wood panel edges. The side marker lights are hooked up and working. We also installed gas struts for the hatch. I had the hatch set at the height I wanted and we installed the struts but when we closed it, the struts bottomed out before hatch closed all the way. I had to make a change to the placement of the lower attaching point to get it to work. Now the hatch sits lower and I've bonked my head a couple times on it. I'll have to get used to ducking. We hooked it up to our Mini Cooper and took it for a spin. Pulled a pretty good hill with no issues and came down even better. We can feel it back there moving the car around but nothing out of the ordinary with pulling a trailer. Here are some pics after our run.

A shot of the galley

Now it's time to figure out how everything gets packed.

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby ratrod71 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:34 pm

Bob, I am very grateful you took the time to send me the very helpful photos. Your trailer looks awesome. I too am a car nut, so wishing you happy trails to the racing events you mentioned. Bryan
Alaskan Benroy build journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61738
ratrod71
Teardrop Master

Postby Midget » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:01 pm

First camp. We spent last weekend at Willow Springs International Raceway in the Lancaster area of the Southern California desert. Watched the vintage car races from the top of the track.
Everything went well. We are learning how not to hit our heads in the door openings getting in and out. We pulled with our Mini Cooper Clubman. Which was an excercise in packing. We usually pull our Midget with our 4 door pickup so severe downsizing was fun. Only issue was the Mini's battery was dead after three days. We did not unhitched so the trailer lights we still plugged in. Now we know to unplug from the car when we stop for the night. Luckily we were surrounded by racers who were more than willing to help us out.
We're camped for a few days at a county rv park near Ontario, Ca before we head to Perris for this weekends teardrop gathering.

We were passed by a T@G on Sunday heading towards Palmdale. Nice to see other teardrops on the road.
Last edited by Midget on Sat May 07, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:12 pm

...Very impressive! It looks too big for that Mini Cooper; but, knowing you built it, I'm certain that all is fine and the Cooper can handle it very well. :yes:

...Beautiful! :applause:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mikerueve » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:59 am

Great to see another Clubman pulling a teardrop!

mikerueve
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Midget » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:13 pm

The Mini hasn't had any troubles pulling the trailer. I'm sure it would be fun trying an emergency stop so we keep good distances. We found out our battery was no longer holding a charge so a visit from AAA netted us a new one. We're good to go again.
Midget
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Build Journals