Sun shade?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Sun shade?

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:30 am

I camp in the desert often, so to keep the sun off the roof I usually put an ez up awning over the TD. That job is usually a pain, and the ezup takes up space and weighs a bit. What if I just rolled some of this mylar bubble wrap over the top? Has anyone tried it?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-100- ... -L/3011906
It would shade the roof, and provide a thermal break. Should be easy to roll out once I arrive. Any thoughts?
Tom

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Re: Sun shade?

Postby RubberGypsy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:20 am

I think that's a cool idea. I might even use that instead of foam board to insulate my rooftop.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
RubberGypsy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:33 pm

RubberGypsy wrote:I think that's a cool idea. I might even use that instead of foam board to insulate my rooftop.

Foam board will work better inside the wall. This stuff needs an air gap if you just stick it in the wall its not that helpful.
Tom

Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby RubberGypsy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks!

RubberGypsy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:21 pm

Socal Tom wrote:I camp in the desert often, so to keep the sun off the roof I usually put an ez up awning over the TD. That job is usually a pain, and the ezup takes up space and weighs a bit. What if I just rolled some of this mylar bubble wrap over the top? Has anyone tried it?
It would shade the roof, and provide a thermal break. Should be easy to roll out once I arrive. Any thoughts?
Tom

Good idea, especially for a 4x8 trailer. The end of the roll could be clamped or otherwise fastened to one end of the trailer, and rolled over the length of it, to be fastened down at the other end. Bungee cords could be thrown over it from the sides, fastened to a drip shield or window frame (or something) on the sides, to keep it from lifting in the breeze. I've been trying to make a quick set-up tarp frame, to cover my roof and out over my doors, so the EZ-Up can stay in the rear, over the galley. Plus, I had a major leak thru a slightly ajar door seal, when the canopy dumped loads of water directly on the seal, flooding my floor. I don't want any chance of re-occurrence! I might be able to use the reflectix for that, also ?!?
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:41 pm

working on it wrote:
Socal Tom wrote:I camp in the desert often, so to keep the sun off the roof I usually put an ez up awning over the TD. That job is usually a pain, and the ezup takes up space and weighs a bit. What if I just rolled some of this mylar bubble wrap over the top? Has anyone tried it?
Tom

Good idea, especially for a 4x8 trailer. The end of the roll could be clamped or otherwise fastened to one end of the trailer, and rolled over the length of it, to be fastened down at the other end. Bungee cords could be thrown over it from the sides, fastened to a drip shield or window frame (or something) on the sides, to keep it from lifting in the breeze. I've been trying to make a quick set-up tarp frame, to cover my roof and out over my doors, so the EZ-Up can stay in the rear, over the galley. Plus, I had a major leak thru a slightly ajar door seal, when the canopy dumped loads of water directly on the seal, flooding my floor. I don't want any chance of re-occurrence! I might be able to use the reflectix for that, also ?!?

It would deflect a lot water off. I was just going to cover the top and hold it down with a couple of rocks.

Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:31 pm

Just for the fun of it I tested some of this on a toaster oven using a termocouple and digital thermometer. Temperature at the surface was about 150F and one layer or Reflectix cut that in half and another layer cut it in half again. This was simply radiated heat not sunlight beating on it.
I did make a jacket for our Waeco refrigerator.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:36 pm

Another thought suspend it just above the roof, This is what Australian caravans do.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:31 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:Another thought suspend it just above the roof, This is what Australian caravans do.

I've been trying to think of an easy way to do that. I think if I attach each end to some PVC, I could anchor one end to the galley hatch, then I could "stretch" it on the other end. The vent could provide some support in the middle.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:28 pm

Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:15 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:Land Rover has what they call a tropical top http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/29699-Tropical-Roofs-(Double-Roof)

Honestly, my first thought was that the bubbles might be good enough to keep the heat off the roof. I think I'll try that before I start engineering.
Tom

Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Tom Horn » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:35 am

Socal Tom wrote:
RubberGypsy wrote:I think that's a cool idea. I might even use that instead of foam board to insulate my rooftop.

Foam board will work better inside the wall. This stuff needs an air gap if you just stick it in the wall its not that helpful.
Tom

I don't know how well it will work in a teardrop but works very good on top of foam insulation in a house ceiling. We used it on the roof of the house and it cut down the ultraviolet heat coming into the house. The negative of using it was that the outside of the roof is pretty dang hot in the summer when the temps get to 105 degrees. We have some left over I might put it on top of my teardrop as an experiment and see what it does even though I can't see it being very beneficial in a teardrop due to its small size.
Tom Horn
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tomterrific » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:16 am

I painted my camper bright white to keep it as cool as possible in the sun. I think the white paint does more than insulation to keep things cool. The reflective mylar is a good idea as a small box quickly turns into a solar oven if it absorbs the suns rays.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby booyah » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:07 am

Tomterrific wrote:I painted my camper bright white to keep it as cool as possible in the sun. I think the white paint does more than insulation to keep things cool. The reflective mylar is a good idea as a small box quickly turns into a solar oven if it absorbs the suns rays.

Tt

This is what I did as well. With the windows open any amount of a breeze the inside is quite comfy in the hotter sunnier days.

No breeze, or muggy, and yeah it still sucks, but it aint magic
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby lthomas987 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:15 pm

I use custom cut pieces of it in my car windows on the sunny side and open windows on the shade side at hunt tests and agility trials. Along with some in the windshield and a space blanket draped over the rear hatch.

I have done a lot of testing. And that combo keeps the temp inside my car where the dogs are as low as the shadiest spots including under the car. Which is as good as i could hope for.

I've cut some for my windows in the trailer too. Only done cool weather camping thus far. But i expect it to counter sun in my giant window.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion