Red Folding Trailers--any experience with these?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Lengthening Red Trailer...

Postby kayakrguy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:21 am

Folks,

Like the weather, plans change. We are getting the Red Trailer tomorrow in Quakertown. In changing the configuration of the trailer from folding to rigid, is there any reason that you could not add a foot to the length? Now, if I did that, I would get the rails welded for extra strength.

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:41 am

what you do is take the cross rails from the center and put them into the siderails. Now you are rigid.

As for making it a foot longer, you are now asking the cross rail, now known as the center part of the side rail, to take the entire load.

Having said that, we've been arguing for a long time that our trailers are overbuild. Much of the strength comes from the box that we bolt down on top of the trailer, in particular, the sidewalls.

So if you have strong side walls, and consequently a strong box, I wouldn't have a problem making it a foot longer. Andrew, do you agree?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Lengthening Red Trailer...

Postby rampage » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:35 pm

kayakrguy wrote:Folks,

Like the weather, plans change. We are getting the Red Trailer tomorrow in Quakertown. In changing the configuration of the trailer from folding to rigid, is there any reason that you could not add a foot to the length? Now, if I did that, I would get the rails welded for extra strength.

Jim

Darn, I wish I would have thought of doing that. :(
One thing to consider is plywood mostly comes in 8ft lengths. I think that extra foot would make a world of differece in comfort.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby angib » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:32 pm

mikeschn wrote:Andrew, do you agree?

Yes.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Progress ?

Postby kayakrguy » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:02 pm

We picked up the Red Trailer in Quakertown on Friday. Stuff fit in trunk and the pass through in the back seat quite nicely. Friday the patterns for the Boxter arrived from Tiny Tears--they mail promptly! When I get a chance to look at them, I will see if I want to modify the design at all.

Now, all I have to do is finish spackling and painting the den and kitchen THEN I can start the trailer. I figure that it will take all summer to get everything done (twice) <g>

Still considering lengthening the trailer a foot when I move the cross braces to the sides. That means the cabin will have to lengthened a foot which I will probably add to the front because I don't want a seam back by the hatch, I don't think. For now all that stuff will rattle around in my head while I finish the house stuff...

Happy St. Pat's day to all--going to a St Patty dance tonight! whoeeee, Go
Armagh!

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby rampage » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:16 pm

I just want to give my 2 cents worth on the 5X8 Redtrailer now that I finally got time to finish putting it together.
I checked out the trailer from TSC and Harbor Freight before I ordered my tralier. The TSC had the L channel that the floor sits in that I didnt like and it felt flimsy. The HF only makes a 4X8.
The Redtrailer is of better quality than the HF, in my estimation, but if HF made a 5X8 for a better price I would be all over it.
As for the people that dont trust bolt together frames, pull into a truckstop and look at the chassis on any of the tractors....yep, all bolts.
The bottom line is I had to paint over the crappy red paint and change the hitch to one that accepts 2" ball hitch and I ended up with a pretty sturdy trailer.
If I use a store bought frame on my next tear I might use the TSC and use some of the tips that LarryL did to his. He had some good ideas. The TSC has a better axle and 5 lug rims. The best part, its made it the U.S.A.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:21 am

Rampage,

I like that 5x8 trailer. If I do another 5x8, I would definitely consider that!

Keep the pictures coming too!

Mike...

P.S. Got a close up of the axle mounting arrangement?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby rampage » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:07 am

mikeschn wrote:Rampage,

I like that 5x8 trailer. If I do another 5x8, I would definitely consider that!

Keep the pictures coming too!

Mike...

P.S. Got a close up of the axle mounting arrangement?

Mike,
I took some pics of the spring hangers after I attached them, but the pics werent on my camera (camera gremelins, I guess). I really wanted to show how I did that. When I get a chance I'll take off a wheel and take another pic.
rampage
Donating Member

Road test of 10 foot red trailer--(duplicate note)

Postby kayakrguy » Fri May 12, 2006 4:23 pm

Folks,

To make a long story short, we took the Red Trailer out for a spin today--followed us everywhere! <g> It tracked well, and the car's new hitch worked well. Did the secondary roads so we had lots of bounce to the ounce!

I extended the trailer to 10 feet when I inserted the cross rails into the side rails. I also had the inserts welded to the sides and I had another piece of 1/4 inch steel welded to the sides as well--across the two foot increase.

I also had the spring hangers welded, I didn't think the RT bolts were up to the sheer loads I was askiing them to bear with the extensions so I felt more comfortable with the welding.

I also centerd the axle 35" from the rear of the frame so that tongue is going to stay down for sure! I had to insert a 2x4 cross beam for the additional length. I also had an extra 2B cross beam (RT owners know what I mean) because when I got my kit home and started finally (last Saturday) to build, I discovered I had no 2A beam--which is the front cross rail that the tow bar attaches to.

I called RT and Paul had a 2A to me the next day, just as he said. In terms of customer service they are A+ though I am not thrilled with having a Red China product. Anyhow, that is how I got the extra 2B rail.

So far I have only had to buy a cheap HF angle grinder and 3 or 4 drill bits.

For the floor, I will probably use 1/2 inch ply, and will piece it together from 4x8's using caulk between the joints, using outdoor latex on the floor bottom and covering with that pink stuff. <G>

Any advice, warnings, lessons, or smart things I should do please send them along. This board is great place for learning. I think it's capacity for teaching is amazing,

Ciao.

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets