Wood Rot. Grrrrrr

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Wood Rot. Grrrrrr

Postby Dahlia47 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:41 pm

Since it's too hot to camp and just about every camp site is taken anyway, I decided to work on the wood. I found two boards with wood Rot. Then I found another. Then another. The one thing I learned in school and working on things with my dad was to seal your wood. Always. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my little TT. But the one thing that wasn't done was.. .you guessed it....sealing the wood. I have replaced nearly every plank of wood. I triple sealed the wood. I don't know if a triple seal is really worth it, but I believe so. I hope so! Two of the wood Rot spots are small. I scraped it out, waited for it to dry. Sealed it. Waiting for it to dry. I'll put some wood putty in those crevices once the seal dries. I think I caught it in time.
I've been doing little things here and there. I made the bed into a folding Z bed. Easier on my back. Now I don't have to roll the futon! That damned thing is heavy!
I'm working on a canned food shelf and saving for the fridge. I hate using the credit cards lol. Then once the boards are dry and on the TT, it gets a fresh coat of paint! And then I'll find something else that needs to be done or added lol!

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: Wood Rot. Grrrrrr

Postby tony.latham » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:52 pm

D:

I'm curious about your rot problem. Is it plywood, OSB or boards. I think you mentioned planks.

Could you maybe take a photo or two? And how's the water getting to it?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dahlia47 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:27 pm

It's the plywood and the 1*4 planks of wood. Sorry, I call them planks.Image

Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby troubleScottie » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:22 pm

Look pretty serious and definitely beyond the unpainted surfaces/holes.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby Dahlia47 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:00 pm

It's not as bad as it looks.the boards I replaced when we baught it were worse. .

Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:05 pm

It's the plywood and the 1*4 planks of wood.

Ouch. Is that a joint between plywood and a board? If so I think I understand the why.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:39 am

MUST BE THE SEASON. I finally got around to reversing the side door on the caboose to an outswing and after tearing off the halo trim I found a water filled sponge that used to be the Zip Wall paneling. After 8 years it was tired of being wet. It was all on me I did not take the time to seal the cut edges back in 2012 when I started the build as I barely had two nickels to rub together at that time so I cut a lot of corners. I even lost a SPF 2x6 to fungal rot that was even more shocking. Everything was ripped out yesterday and new material was cut and installed to replace the rotted members. I am hoping to finish up today. I probably should have drug out the camera and got a few shots but I was so into the repair process I just didn't think :oops:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Dahlia47 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:03 am

I was in bed last night , thinking about that joint. Its best I repair the remaining 3 boards. If not, it may make an additional or bigger problem I don't want or need. I want my little TT to last another 10 years. You know, now that I am thinking, i don't know where any of the support beams are on it??? Yikes!
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:20 am

...thinking about that joint.

I think that joint is the problem. Somehow it needs to be sealed and that piece of quarter-round might be exasperating the issue.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dahlia47 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:39 pm

Luckily I haven't found any fungus among us (haha...see what I did there?) the joint is getting replaced and sealed. I'm too afraid if it getting worse.
I have a feeling at some point I will have all the original wood replaced lol

Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion