My extra foot/ the plan

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

My extra foot/ the plan

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:08 pm

Is the one I put in my mouth. :lol:
Not really. We didn't like the Benroy at 5' tall so I took all the things I liked and shoved them together. This is not exact but I got tired of trying to wrap my brain around CAD so... The front is about what I would like. The rear is too rounded and needs to look more like the benroy I guess.

My extra foot is the one waisted in front that needs support and curves and stuff for nothing. I thought I would raise the bed and put it across the front, using the space really well.
The plan

The raised bed idea. Does this look like it will work? It is made of 1x2" legs with 1x3" surrounding and slats across. The ply is 1/2" x 8".

Can I prep the screws in any way to allow them to go into the end of the ply sleds and provide support for the front ? (two layers of 1/8 I think)
Sorry for the large! :roll:
Thanks for your help and critique (and jokes)
Aunti M
Last edited by Miriam C. on Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby PaulC » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:14 pm

Hi Miriam, Firstly, how wide is this? If you are dropping the height from 5' and it is 6' wide it's going to look a little out of proportion(Squat)
I read elsewhere that mike is 6' tall. I would make sure the bed area is at least 6'2" --6'3" in length. Experience shows that we need that little extra. My No.1 was only 1" longer than me and proved to be a pain.
I agree with you on the back, it needs the Benroy's double radius to look right.
Do you need the bottom curve at the front. Most Benroy's are square at this point. It would also ease the wasted space problem you have in this area.

As for screws into the end of ply, trust me on this, it don't work well. Event with glue applied they tend to work loose. If you used blocks of solid on the edges it would hold better.
Just my humble thoughts

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:19 pm

Hey Miriam,

Like Paul, at this point I don't know enough about your design to give you a whole lot of information... :?

I looked at your sketch... and I looked in your album... and near as I can tell, you are doing a 10' teardrop on an 8' long trailer. No clue how high your sidewalls are.

So I did this sketch at 48" tall. If your sidewalls are taller, let me know, and I'll stretch it... BTW, that's a Benroy backend, with an extra poof on the bottom to get you from 8' to 10'.

Mike...

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:55 pm

There ya go. :thinking: I was trying so hard to not bore you all with a disertation. I will start over.

Height = 5 feet (at 5' tall a straight front looks too tall and rounded, short)
Width of trailer = 6'4"
Length of trailer = now 8' ( the frame is 7'6")
Finished length = 9' to 10" depending on rear.

Wall thickness= 1/4" and 1x3 and 1/8 inside (1/4 if I can't find 1/8 )
framing 1x3's except at curve. Curve will be out of 1x4".

Using 5'x5' baltic birch (cabinet grade)

The extra foot is the great idea cause then I can put the bed across the front and give Mike the potty room (3'x3') and he insists "he is getting older and shorter everyday and by the time this is finished he will only be 5'8". Thinks he's funny. I said "as you wish." :D

The raised area will get past the curve yeilding an extra foot.

Can I attach a spar over the ends of the ply or should I use some board for framing the platform?

Thanks all
Miriam
Last edited by Miriam C. on Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:14 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Can I attach a spar over the ends of the ply or should I use some board for framing the platform?

Thanks all
Miriam

Here ya go... is this better?

Regarding your bed sled, I'm not sure I understand the question... If you are asking if you can just put two layers of 1/8" plywood over the front of the sled, my first thought is yes. I'm assuming of course that you have a subfloor to attach that 1/8" flooring to, and also that you have a spar pretty close to your bed sled.

Why are you using a bed sled? You are losing a lot of space... :?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:40 pm

That looks great Mike. Thank you very much. I think I ended up with the rounded end by trying to shorten the rear so the counter was shorter.

The raised Bed nets me almost an extra foot of floor space and gives me storage space.

I put curves on the ply hoping to give support to the outside covering. there will be a spar on bottom and above them I just don't know if it is worth the trouble of putting screws in the ply. They are only 8" tall.

Does the platform look sturdy enough? I am still trying to build a tank.

Thanks again, I like that more than mine.
Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:51 pm

Let's see if I have this right. You are going to put a subfloor on the trailer, put the bed sled on top of that, put plywood on top of the bed sled, probably access doors in a couple places...

Then you are planning on covering the outside of the bedsled with the teardrop sides...

And the front, top and rear with two layers of 1/8" plywood.

Let me mull that over, since I am headed to bed right now...

Mike...

P.S. Glad you like the profile. I'll give you a couple more locating dimensions when you are ready...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:54 pm

Actually, you only need one more dimension... it's 51.96. You can call it 52".

It locates the center of the 60" R.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:20 pm

Nighty Night,
Mike guessed it at 51". He would like to know if we need the poof at the rear. I really don't know. I am not sure if the tongue would be too heavy with what amounts to an extra 2 sheets of 1/2" ply on the front?

Have a floor on the trailer. Adding raised bed with drawers under. But may just be plastic on each side for now.

I really appreciate you drawings and advice.
Aunti M and Mike
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:58 pm

Need a quick answer I think.
Do I need to bevel my floor in the front to accomidate the curve of the nose or should I add a spar there and bevel it. :?

Thank you.
Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:28 pm

I see you didn't get your answer yet...

Either way works. It depends on what you are trying to do dimensionally. If you need it to be longer, add the spar. If you want it shorter, cut the floor.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

member designs

Postby KA » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:20 pm

Hi Miriam,
If you are concerned about the front looking too tall you could put a storage box on the tongue. Just a thought.
Kris :thinking:
KA
Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:20 pm

Thanks Mike,
I made a practice piece and it looks like I can use a spar and not need the bevel.

I think the side being on the trailer with the floor in between got rid of the need and left room for a spar at the bottom front edge. ;)

Tommorow I hope the get my sides glued together and then cut by the weekend. With any luck the practicing I have been doing will work.

Aunti M
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:30 pm

Hi KA
I did look at that but this gives me extra space and storage without building a lot of cabinetts. Something I have never done. I don't have a lot of woodworking experience so I am looking to get out of the fancy stuff.

Thanks
Aunti M
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby PaulC » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:13 am

Hey Auntie M, Don't stress the cabinet making stuff. I had never done any prior to my first build(makes me sound like an old hand at it :lol: ) and they worked out Okay. Just remember that you are only building a box 8)

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Next

Return to Build Journals