Texas-Heat Potato Packet

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Texas-Heat Potato Packet

Postby WarPony » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:45 pm

Here's a recipe from Reynolds "Cooking with Foil" recipe book that my GF picked up yesterday.

* 1 1/2 lbs. (4 med.) potatoes, cut into 1/2" cubes

DRY RUB:
*2 tsp. garlic powder
*2 tsp. paprika
*2 tsp. packed brown sugar
*2 tsp. salt
*2 tsp. black pepper
*2 tsp. cayenne pepper

Lay out diced potatoes on a layer of foil. Combine dry rub ingredients then sprinkle onto potatoes, top with butter (or whatever) then cover with another layer of foil. Fold edges all the way around and cook on a covered, medium-high grill for 15-18 minutes.

I modified the ingredient list and used chili powder instead of cayenne...... I didn't have any cayenne. I also threw the cut up potatoes in a gallon ZipLock bag and tossed what looked like 2 tsp. of the ingredients (wink wink) in with the taters and shook it all around til they were covered good. I still used foil but probably had a 1/4 C of butter in the bottom of the foil before I dumped the potatoes on it :twisted: .

They are in the oven right now cooking with some pork spare ribs I smoked this afternoon so I'll have to report back later on how it all turned out. Sorry no pics because my media card is full and my computer is jacked up............ I'm using GF's computer to keep up with everything.

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:59 pm

Ooo-Man...
Those taters sound tasty!!!.
We're having smoked pork for dinner too, but the kids asked me if I could put it in with some sort of noodles.
So... I'm gonna concoct up a stroganoff of some sort.
The pork came out real good... Used nothin' but black oak and slow smoked a full loin. :twisted:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby DRYVEM » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:02 pm

Taters sound yummy! I will try this soon.

Dean, How long did you smoke the pork for? Martin and I are doing 100lbs next week for a dinner. YUM! I can hardly wait.

Barbara
Barbara
Proud owner of a 2010 Martin Built Teardrop
DRYVEM
Lifetime member

Postby WarPony » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:21 pm

Barbara, the thing about smoking any meat is:
1) Heavy smoke
2) Low temps... 220 range

I've had great success with wrapping the meat up after the internal temp has reached 160 degrees and keep it in the 200-220 range for 4-8 hours depending on the thickness of the cut and type of meat. I've never done a 100 lbs. of any type of meat so the foil wrapping might be a bit of a chore but I'd sure give it a helluva try. It keeps the juices and smoke flavor with the meat. Mmmmmmmmmm.........

Slow and steady wins the race.................... :thumbsup:

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:57 pm

Yeap...
Slow and low.
I went about 7 hrs.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby WarPony » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:56 pm

Well, the potatoes sucked!!!!!!! I under cooked them and my addition of the chili powder tasted awful :cry: !!!

I'll try it again with cayenne like the recipe called for next time. The pork spare ribs turned out great, though. I had what was left for breakfast.......... mm, mmmmm!!

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:34 am

WarPony wrote:Well, the potatoes sucked!!!!!!! I under cooked them

Sounds like MY potato disaster at the Anastasia gathering.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby WarPony » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:58 am

That's why I stink at DO cooking, I'm always dinking around and not paying attention to the coals. I either burn the food or undercook it.
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Boodro » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:40 pm

Warpony, I do camp taters kinda like that. I dice up several potatoes , dice onion , seasoning you like( garlic powder,Tony Catcherys , pepper,cayenne,) butter slabs on top , then seal the foil , I place the packets right over the coals in my smoker & cook for about 20- 30 minutes , longer if you like some taters crispy MMMMMM ! Be carefull when you open the packets as steam will be released! If you wnat the taters to cook faster just slice them thinner ( about 1/4 inch) Good luck & good eattin! :twisted:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby WarPony » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:28 pm

Boodro wrote: Be carefull when you open the packets as steam will be released!

Yeah, I burnt the pi$$ out of my fingers when I opened them up........ I always do. I should've put the taters in the oven when I stuck the ribs in. I might try the Tony C's rub, I have some of that.

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:55 pm

Y'all need to do this the hobo-dinner way.
Smash a clove of garlic and rub over the inside of your foil. Rub that foil with a pat of butter.
Slice your potatoes as thin as you can, *then* quarter or eighth-cut your slices. Put 'em in a bag with your seasonings and shake like you would ShakeNBake. Lay a very thin layer of sliced onion on your foil, pour on your potatoes, top with a couple or three slices of bacon and another thin layer of onion, seal the foil up and throw it on the coals, bacon-side-DOWN first. After 20 minutes turn it over and after another 20 minutes open it up. You ought to have a good hobo meal.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby WarPony » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:59 pm

Laredo, that sounds like a good camping dinner. I'm a big fan of the foil pack dinners............ steam is our friend.
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:59 pm

that's why you put the bacon side down first -- lets the potatoes 'fry' a little. You may want to modify the timing a tad if you like 'em crispy.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1