A quick and dirty front end receiver?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

A quick and dirty front end receiver?

Postby artfd » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:13 pm

Presented for your consideration, comments or amusement.
I have a Harbor Freight [HF] flat trailer #94564 for hauling small equipment, mulch, dirt in & out of my back yard. Trailer is rated as 2050 pounds total when maximally loaded. I've never used it with than a a few hundred pounds on its platform, so far to deliver a boxed hot water heater, gas dryer & dishwashing machine to my front porch.
I think this might also apply to some owners of teardrops.
Towing my trailer is easy in all respects but one.
I've practiced backing this thing up for hours, and am no better at aiming this thing properly in reverse than when I started. I've given up on learning this. :thumbdown:
I think part of my problem is the short length between the axle and the hitch. I have to be careful when turning sharply so that the trailer doesn't hit the back bumper.
I'm sure I would be able to back the trailer up if I could attach it to a front mounted trailer ball on my F150.
I am replacing the radiator support sheet metal on my F150 (the bottom has completely rusted out after only 11 years) and so have removed the bumper, grille, grille support and all the plastic attachments in front.
Looking at the front ends of the box beams (4" wide by about 5" deep) of the frame, I could easily bolt on a HF bumper receiver like this:
3500 Lb. Step Bumper Receiver
to either of the protruding ends of the box beams, using either U-bolts or through bolts to another plate on top of the beams.
I already have the receiver tubes, etc. needed to attach to the trailer.
I know this would be off-center. I don't think this matters for my intended purpose -- backing the loaded trailer at a maximum speed of 2 mph.
I know I could buy a regular frame mounted custom front trailer hitch for around $200 . I don't want to invest that kind of money $> for something used so infrequently, plus I don't know how much longer this particular F150 will last.
Is my idea practical? Safe? :thinking:
artfd
Teardrop Advisor

Re: A quick and dirty front end receiver?

Postby Kody » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:00 am

Because you are using this to park the trailer, it will work perfectly. As you already mentioned, a top speed of a horrendous maximum of 2 mph will need to be taken deeply into account. A lot of boaties here in Aust. mount a hitch similar to this on the front of their car/truck so they can launch their boat with so much fewer hassles. It is much easier to maneuver and it keeps the rear (driving ) wheels out of the slime and muck found on so many boat ramps. Being offset to the center won't make any difference to parking your trailer. You only need to remember that the tree is closer on one side of the TD than it is on the other. It's a great idea, go for it.

Kody
Never be afraid to ask questions here, Prov. 11:14
Kody
The 300 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:24 am

Could lengthen the tongue on the trailer. Definitely helps with backing up! :thinking:

viewtopic.php?p=854558#p854558
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:54 am

Check out some of the discount trailer suppliers... Some manufacturers produce front end receivers for pickups that are bolt in application for what you are attempting to do....

One such unit...

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Towing/Front ... QgodCE0AoA

or

http://www.hitchesonline.com/front_moun ... _hitch.htm

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:40 am

artfd wrote:I know I could buy a regular frame mounted custom front trailer hitch for around $200 . I don't want to invest that kind of money $> for something used so infrequently, plus I don't know how much longer this particular F150 will last.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby NathanL » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:22 pm

Practicing in an empty parking lot is free. It's not rocket surgery, just look forward, hand on the bottom of the wheel and turn it SLOWLY in the diretion you want the trailer to go. With practice you can back up some really short trailers like a 6' welding machine etc...
NathanL
The 300 Club

Postby artfd » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:59 pm

NathanL wrote:Practicing in an empty parking lot is free. It's not rocket surgery, just look forward, hand on the bottom of the wheel and turn it SLOWLY in the diretion you want the trailer to go. With practice you can back up some really short trailers like a 6' welding machine etc...

I tried. Oh, how I tried. Made insufficient progress. My real life task is that I have to back this trailer from the street by making a sharp 90 degree turn in reverse and then bumping the tires over a 3" curb, then the side yard has a bit of tilt to it. I have found aiming correctly just too hard.
If I was sure I would keep this truck for another 5 years or so I would buy a commercial front receiver hitch, but the $16 HF bolt on receiver & some extra metal can't be beat for the price & effort!
Will post pics of the completed project.
artfd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby artfd » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:01 pm

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:Could lengthen the tongue on the trailer. Definitely helps with backing up! :thinking:

viewtopic.php?p=854558#p854558

I will do that when I get a round Tuit. I could really use that trailer right now though. :twisted:
artfd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Vedette » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:20 pm

I have a front hitch on my 8N tractor "Dixie".
I love it! I use it almost everytime I get Dixie out of the barn.
I store boats and other trailers here at the farm an I find it soooo easy to precision park them with that hitch.
Good Roads
Brian
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Bogo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:03 am

I guess I've backed to many farm wagons into the barn. The fun part is there is a building 50 feet in front of the barn entrance so there isn't a strait shot into the barn. Farm wagons are effectively two trailers in series. I will often park them in the barn to keep the rain off a load of grain or hay.

Main thing when backing is keep the changes small and well planned. Because a bumper hitch is so far behind the rear wheels, the tongue will swing back some as you straighten out. That needs to be accounted for. I much prefer 5th wheel hitches.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby mac in mo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:05 am

I made one like you want for pushing my boat. The alley is very narrow where I parked the boat on it's trailer. I got tired of muscling around a 17 ft fiberglass runabout.I had a small curb as you mentioned, to go over as well. I put the hitch on a piece of C- shaped iron and bolted the contraption on with the bolts for the tow hooks. I was able to keep the hooks on as well. It worked great. I am very adept at trailer backing, but the angle required, due to the narrowness of the alley, made it impossible to back in. With the steering wheels that close to the tow, you can really cut some angles. Go for it, you will be glad you did.

Kevin
mac in mo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dale M. » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:49 am

Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mezmo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:06 pm

The Europeans have a nifty idea for this problem -
approaching it from another outlook.

All it takes is money !

http://www.caravanmoversonline.co.uk/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDi55hJwr6g

One Australian Co. has three different ways
[including the above type.] to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Eu78LDYiA

Someone else got inventive, and made their own
drill powered moving dolly [slow but it works].

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBdYGhTLxaA

While I'm at it - I just found this ! - a new multi-axis
trailer coupler from Australia - this is quite impressive
in my vue. The $US and the $AU were at parity (=)
the last I looked. 'Don't know if they are U.S. legal or
not. [I'm hoping they will be.]

http://www.mchitch.com.au/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... tWQWE&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl7gcdu6QkU

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby angib » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:43 am

Land Rover Defender drivers frequently have a front tow hitch - usually it's just bolted straight to the front bumper, since on Defenders this is just about strong enough to pick up the whole vehicle.....

You might like this idea, which is a slip-on tow hitch for a Defender - it just hooks over the bumper, straddling the bumper bracket and is prevented from moving by tightening the two 'wing bolts':

If you are only wanting to move trailers at very low speed, I don't believe there is much strength required in a front tow hitch - if it's tough enough to withstand the tongue weight, it'll move the trailer too.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby clermont cubby » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:41 pm

I have unsuccessfully tried to learn how to back up a trailer for years. Decided to add it to my Bucket List and was determined to master it in 2012.

I don't know about mastering, but I have been very pleased with my newly acquired skill. I viewed a video on You tube called THE SCOOP...how to back up a trailer. Its kind of corny, but really helped me a lot.

Now I am able to back up the TD without embarrassment. Included the link below. Hope it may help.

Larry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLtfrBWzNCw
clermont cubby
Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion