Teardrop Fiction

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Postby jan4peace » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:45 am

I really enjoyed this one! :) I'd like to think he lived his days out in old Mexico!
:applause:
Jan

"The sun looked out of the sky, clean, fresh, and golden, spreading light and warmth everywhere." Mirra Ginsburg
jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:31 am

Very nice way to start the day! :applause:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Tumbleweed_Tex » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:41 pm

Hog Head Cheese

They say everyone can remember exactly where they were, and exactly what they were doing, just before noon on Friday, November 22, 1963. I was in Granny Tex’s kitchen making hog-head cheese.

For a seven year-old Texas cowboy, just the prospect of making head cheese was as effective as Christmas morning in preventing sleep the preceding night. And long before the sun came up, I could hear the grownups clunking around in the back yard, building a fire and heating up the huge black-iron caldron. How could I possibly sleep? And I didn’t even know what hog-head cheese was…it just sounded like something a mini-cowboy could identify with.

I had to stay on the back porch while the men folk killed the hog, scraped it down, and cut it up, but I got to help carry the head into the kitchen. I tried to act “not chelantâ€
Tumbleweed_Tex
cowboy storyteller extraordinaire

Postby godskid » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:09 pm

But Granpa's face said he liked it?? Whooo-ee, must've been a good idee you tried!

Sound's liken this mini-cowboy is 'zactly the same age as me, cuz I was 7 when It Happened, too. Just about like ma pitcher at the left -- mebbe a little older than that. I'm the girl in the pitcher.

Deb
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby Ratkity » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:19 pm

Oh boy, that young'un was a magnet for trouble.

Hugs,
Ratkity

:applause: :applause: :applause:
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby jan4peace » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:22 pm

I never thought I would applaud for head cheese, but :applause: It was a wonderful story and you make me wonder... should I have given a bite of head cheese a chance? :thinking:

I still dunno the answer to that one, but I loved reading about the little cowboy again. :)
Jan

"The sun looked out of the sky, clean, fresh, and golden, spreading light and warmth everywhere." Mirra Ginsburg
jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:13 pm

As a 9 year old I was one of the orphanage children who got to see John Kennedy as he was passing Holy Family Institute at 8235 Ohio River Blvd in Emsworth. OH, I just always have to say that address when I think about that place. (avatar on the left was taken there)I wasn't parent less but the courts took four of my parents children off of them and placed us there for 8 years and while there John Kennedy was driving by and with over 100 kids standing on the sidewalk had to just stop. I knew I would never get close but watched from the stone wall that is still there today. A year later I recall while sitting in class in hearing the announcement. So sad! :(
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby atahoekid » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:10 am

I too was in grade school at the time, sitting in the classroom when we heard the news. I remember the nuns that ran the school were terribly upset about something but I was too young to really grasp the magnitude of the day. They sent us home early that day. I remember the funeral coverage on TV more than I remember the day of the shooting itself. Like Tex I was 7 at the time and I recall theose events, but I don't ever recall making head cheese. I'm quite a bit older now and somehow don't suspect that I ever will make head cheese, even if given the opportunity. But I was born and raised in the big city and except maybe for a couple trips to the county fair and one or two trips to a farm, I've never been within 10 yards of a live pig, never mind slaughtering one. Don't think I'm too wild about consuming head cheese either!! :NC :NC
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Tumbleweed_Tex » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:20 am

Last Saturday, the History Channel aired a "Modern Marvels" episode entitled Cheese, and they actually included a short segment about Head Cheese. Showed the deboning of the pig head and everything.

Their recipe was chunky, and stuffed in a bologna-sized casing. They used..."other stuff" in their's too.

Um...maybe we should put this subject to bed?
Tumbleweed_Tex

Postby queeniejeanne » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:08 pm

Living my transit life, as it were, had us in Chowchilla CA that day in history. Being from Oklahoma and in the first school I had ever attended with a TV in every room of the school, we were watching it when it happened......What we were watching and what we saw happen should be right up there among the reasons for Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome victims. I was in 6th grade and understood completely what had happened. I will never forget the way the suit Jackie was wearing (I didn't know until much much later in life it was pink)changed colors becoming a different shade of light. We were let out of classes right away and sent home. Most of us lived within walking distance and headed home.
Being from Oklahoma and having lived off the land/animals/truck patches, I remember well the butchering of the hogs. I being the only Little girl in the bunch, I had nothing to do but sit in the shade and eat hot fresh cracklins, lip smacking is what they were. The hog heads all went to my aunt and uncle. My Mom and Dad did not want to do the head cheese.

I am happy to say these two things did not happen to me on the same day.

Great story, Tex.....Thanks for the memories.
HEY a tiny trailer. Whatever it takes.
queeniejeanne
Lifetime member

Postby Tumbleweed_Tex » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:56 pm

Bonnie

In the early part of my ninth summer, we took a road trip. Grandpa Tex had passed away one stormy night the previous March, and Momma Tex figured Granny Tex would “greatly benefitâ€
Tumbleweed_Tex

Postby Ratkity » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:35 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause:

W00h00! Luv it!

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby queeniejeanne » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:43 pm

No better n Tex. :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
HEY a tiny trailer. Whatever it takes.
queeniejeanne
Lifetime member

Postby SmilinJack » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:34 pm

Another :thumbsup: , Tex!
Jack
SmilinJack
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jan4peace » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:48 pm

That was really good :)
Jan

jan4peace
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic