Two questions...

Anything electric, AC or DC

Re: Two questions...

Postby 48Rob » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:19 am

This is the unit I have;

http://www.powerstream.com/battery-isolator.htm

Bruce,

You're right, I wasn't thinking about that for the typical tow car/rv setup where the second battery is in the trailer.
(my second battery is 6' behind the first, but is still on the truck)
I am able to start the truck with the second battery because I have massive cables supplying the inverter, which are capable of handling the current needed by the starter motor.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:13 pm

I looked at that one and almost got it except for the 1 amp relay holding current. The PV panels on our trailer would cause the relay to combine and the 1 amp overhead is a pretty hefty drain on a typical teardrop size PV system. The Yandina only has 0.150 A overhead current. It's all about application; the powerstream works great in yours, the Yandina works great in mine. :goodmorning:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:19 am

Bruce,

Agreed, and I learned something new! :thumbsup:
I didn't even consider that when choosing mine, but I can see how a full amp draw would make it a poor choice for solar...
Thanks!

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to Electrical Secrets