How to run wire 110v

Anything electric, AC or DC

How to run wire 110v

Postby brandon32689 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:08 am

Hey guys I'm stumped on this build, new to doing this sort of thing. I got a 20 foot enclosed I plan to make into a toy hauler. So far I have orderd the coleman 13,500 btu ac and picked out the insulation I will be using 1 inch foam board. I pulled off one panel in trailer to measure and see what's back there.

Originally I wanted to run all my wires inside panels but don't see how you can do that with ought putting bunch of holes in supports. Maybe conduct on the outside or something like that. I have about 200 feet of number 12 romax but I figured I will have to go get just some thhn number 12 and run it a different way. I'm looking for any ideas or pics you guys can share. Also what breaker pannel would you recommend,

Plan is to have ac and a few was plugs and lights, may run a mini fridge and tv on the wall plugs for know. Would a 4 breaker panel be enough.

I'm also considering dc for the lights and maybe a stereo but I am really confused on the dc as far as hooking it and 110 together. Thanks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408280839.576840.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408280839.576840.jpg (153.18 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408280830.248579.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408280830.248579.jpg (143.2 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
brandon32689
Teardrop Advisor

Re: How to run wire 110v

Postby mustangcats » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:43 pm

You could use surface mount wiring...also known as raceway wiring. For the 110 volt ac/12 volt dc, get a converter such as the ones made by Progressive Dynamics or WFCO. They provide both ac and dc power. They are easy to install and will also keep your battery charged when plugged into shore power. There is a lot of information on this website and the internet about converters and how to install them. Have fun!
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby wtcreaux » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:10 pm

Check the conduit running along the wall/ceiling border then towards the AC unit......
wtcreaux
Teardrop Master

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:31 pm

tlsallada wrote:Romex cable is perhaps a bad choice for wiring a vehicle as the solid conductors will tend to break due to vibration over time. I used a 14 gauge extension cord with stranded wires in my build. The stranded wire will resist breakage and will be easier to run. The average home uses 14 gauge wire for many circuits and will handle almost any load to be encountered in a trailer. You could use this for both your AC as well as your DC circuits.
terry

Thousands of RVs and travel trailers have been wired with Romex by their original manufacturers. If it wasn't safe they wouldn't use it.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:40 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:Thousands of RVs and travel trailers have been wired with Romex by their original manufacturers. If it wasn't safe they wouldn't use it.

<Chas>

Beat me to it.... :) We've had assorted factory made Class C's over a few decades and they all had solid wire 120 VAC and none had any issues with any AC wiring.

Solid wires can be more difficult to run through curves and bends.

Stranded wire can be more difficult to secure to some devices... such as properly securing stranded to a side terminal where the wire must be wrapped around a screw and the screw tightened. Mpst devices can be used with stranded, but not all. Check the specs.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby brandon32689 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:20 pm

wtcreaux wrote:103731

Check the conduit running along the wall/ceiling border then towards the AC unit......

I like that what is it
brandon32689
Teardrop Advisor

Postby brandon32689 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:22 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:
tlsallada wrote:Romex cable is perhaps a bad choice for wiring a vehicle as the solid conductors will tend to break due to vibration over time. I used a 14 gauge extension cord with stranded wires in my build. The stranded wire will resist breakage and will be easier to run. The average home uses 14 gauge wire for many circuits and will handle almost any load to be encountered in a trailer. You could use this for both your AC as well as your DC circuits.
terry

Thousands of RVs and travel trailers have been wired with Romex by their original manufacturers. If it wasn't safe they wouldn't use it.

<Chas>

MtnDon wrote:
GuitarPhotog wrote:Thousands of RVs and travel trailers have been wired with Romex by their original manufacturers. If it wasn't safe they wouldn't use it.

<Chas>

Beat me to it.... :) We've had assorted factory made Class C's over a few decades and they all had solid wire 120 VAC and none had any issues with any AC wiring.

Solid wires can be more difficult to run through curves and bends.

Stranded wire can be more difficult to secure to some devices... such as properly securing stranded to a side terminal where the wire must be wrapped around a screw and the screw tightened. Mpst devices can be used with stranded, but not all. Check the specs.

Really I don't mind buying the right wire, my grandpa is a master electrician. He told me he would only put romax in of it was in the walls, but I don't see it possible so I need to use some surface mount. He recommended I use number 12 thhn solid wire.

I just want the install to look clean and professional and be safe at the same time.
brandon32689
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:29 am

No one has mentioned extension cord wire yet! I built chubby with 12-3 extension cord wire and was happy with having the extra sheath over the wire, It is stranded wire and flows and bends very easy. I went a step further and used vacuum cord wiring salvaged from old vacuums left at the curb for the DC. Most have simply two wires black and white so color coding for the DC is easy.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby brandon32689 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:36 am

bobhenry wrote:No one has mentioned extension cord wire yet! I built chubby with 12-3 extension cord wire and was happy with having the extra sheath over the wire, It is stranded wire and flows and bends very easy. I went a step further and used vacuum cord wiring salvaged from old vacuums left at the curb for the DC. Most have simply two wires black and white so color coding for the DC is easy.

How did you run your wires
brandon32689
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dale M. » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:50 am

Do internet search for "Plastic Raceway" .... Great stuff for surface mount applications...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby brandon32689 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:00 am

Dale M. wrote:Do internet search for "Plastic Raceway" .... Great stuff for surface mount applications...

Dale

I've been looking at that to where is the best place to get it at, and would you just run individual wires threw it.
brandon32689
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:51 am

brandon32689 wrote:
bobhenry wrote:No one has mentioned extension cord wire yet! I built chubby with 12-3 extension cord wire and was happy with having the extra sheath over the wire, It is stranded wire and flows and bends very easy. I went a step further and used vacuum cord wiring salvaged from old vacuums left at the curb for the DC. Most have simply two wires black and white so color coding for the DC is easy.

How did you run your wires

ac was white was neutral black was hot and green was a ground. I ran all as a daisy chain ( run from one to another to another.

The dc was first ran to 4 fuses and from there the hot was ran as the black wires and the white was ground. The reason for 4 fuses was front wall , galley wall and right and left walls.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby mustangcats » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:33 pm

brandon32689 wrote:
Dale M. wrote:Do internet search for "Plastic Raceway" .... Great stuff for surface mount applications...

Dale

I've been looking at that to where is the best place to get it at, and would you just run individual wires threw it.

You can get it at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. You run individual wires through it. You can get the raceway in different colors or you can paint it. I think ivory is the most common color.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby Kharn » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:42 pm

I just ordered raceway from monoprice.com, it was dirt cheap compared to other sources that I found, especially for the connectors/corners/etc, like $0.19 each instead of $5 for 5.
Kharn
500 Club

Postby brandon32689 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Kharn wrote:I just ordered raceway from monoprice.com, it was dirt cheap compared to other sources that I found, especially for the connectors/corners/etc, like $0.19 each instead of $5 for 5.

What all are you running threw yours
brandon32689
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets