Build Update, trailer: "Can You See Me Now???"

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Build Update, trailer: "Can You See Me Now???"

Postby Keith B » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:34 pm

Got the trailer painted, the goodies on and lights lit up. The fenders will be installed after the TD body is placed on top. The 15" aluminum wheels have center caps to be installed too...
Lights On:
Trailer Painted:
15" Aluminum wheels with 215/75/15 radials:
Keith
"Work and work and do your best! Paint and putty will do the rest!"
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:31 pm

:applause: :applause: :thumbsup:
Very nice. So have you figured exactly, wheels and all, this wonder cost?
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Keith B » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:36 pm

Total trailer was $740 (but I have almost a FULL gallon of paint/primer/naptha left over, took less than a qt. and quite a bit of steel too) and came in at 400#s... yeah, more than HF, but torsion over spring axle, 15" aluminum wheels, bigger tires, bigger fenders, more lights, more steel, stab. jacks, swivel jack, sockets for side tables... etc... plus, it was fun to learn and build it..hope she stays together.... thanks for the compliment.
This is the thread I started about costs: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=14883
Keith
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby Geron » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:57 pm

Keith B wrote:Total trailer was $740 (but I have almost a FULL gallon of paint/primer/naptha left over, took less than a qt. and quite a bit of steel too) and came in at 400#s... yeah, more than HF, but torsion over spring axle, 15" aluminum wheels, bigger tires, bigger fenders, more lights, more steel, stab. jacks, swivel jack, sockets for side tables... etc... plus, it was fun to learn and build it..hope she stays together.... thanks for the compliment.
This is the thread I started about costs: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=14883

I know I'm gittin' old and blind but where's the TD. Is it invisible??? ;)

g :thinking:
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Boodro » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:00 pm

I think ya need more than 2 lug nuts on the wheels! :lol: :lol: :lol: That is if you are gonna tow it anywhere! :? :? :? :? :lol: :lol:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Keith B » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:03 pm

:lol: , It's magic... Nope...the TD is in the shop being built seperately. After the TD is painted in a couple weeks it will be placed on top of the chasis. I really hope to have it set by the 29th of April, that'll be 3 months of building.

Boodro... sorry about the lug nuts...but I'm on a budget here... :lol:
Keith
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:43 pm

Keith,

Boy I like that frame. What's the down angle on your axle? How high is it from the ground to the top of your coupler? I'm designing my next frame and I'm struggling with getting a 5' tall trailer in my garage and getting the coupler 19" off the ground to match the truck hitch. So far I'm losing the battle...
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:31 am

Put a reciever hitch on that truck and a drop ball mount or you will need a step ladder to go to beddy bye !
:D
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bdosborn » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:51 am

bobhenry wrote:Put a reciever hitch on that truck and a drop ball mount or you will need a step ladder to go to beddy bye !
:D

I've got both already. :cry:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Keith B » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:13 am

Thanks, I'm pretty happy w/ the trailer; The down angle of the axle is 32 degrees. The coupler is 17.5" off the ground....
It rides nice and level behind the Jeep and Suburban as it sets. Plus, I also like the frame a little higher because in KS we get wind, and holiday weekends always seem to have a drizzle or two, so at night we throw our coolers, chairs, etc. under to keep 'em safe and dry.

bdosborn...if you need a couple of extra inches, weld a 2" or 3" (pending on coupler size) piece of square tubing on top of your existing tongue...that will keep the frame height as it sits but raise your attachement point. If you cut the tubing at an angle and fill the back side w/ a plate you can make it look very nice.
Keith
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby Outlaw » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:38 am

Geron wrote:I know I'm gittin' old and blind but where's the TD. Is it invisible??? ;)

g :thinking:

Is it the new "Stealth TD"??

VERY nice job on the chasis :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Eric
ImageImageImage
Outlaw
Donating Member

Postby wa_flyfisher » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:06 am

Trailer looks great, only thing I would do is cover the wires with something to protect them.
wa_flyfisher
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:23 am

wa_flyfisher wrote:Trailer looks great, only thing I would do is cover the wires with something to protect them.

1/2" PVC as a wire conduit works great. No fear of shorting out protects wiring from rain ,snow and ice , as well as high vegatation and fallen tree branches that may snag the wire. The pvc can be cable tied to the frame or clamped with the pvc "u" clamps for a more professional look. "t" fittings split left from right and elbows make the corner turns crisp and clean.
:thumbsup:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Keith B » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:32 am

Thanks for the tips fellas... I had thought about covering the wires...it is easier to do now as opposed to "later"... I'll have to see what I can run through there.
Keith
Keith B
Silver Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:52 pm

Looks really good Keith...once the body is on, you can tack the wiring to the sub floor on the tear, nylon loops...lots of tent trailers are done that way, just make sure that you have enough play in the loops so you don't chaff a wire and get a short...just an idea..doug :thumbsup:

PS is that your camping grill in the background...if so...eats are on Keith as it appears he can cook for the whole group!!
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets