surge brakes

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

surge brakes

Postby zukamini » Wed May 07, 2008 10:52 pm

Can anyone recommend a good surge receiver for a tear that weights around 950 lbs? the axle is from a dodge caravan and has all the brake components.
zukamini
Teardrop Builder

Postby Nitetimes » Wed May 07, 2008 11:30 pm

A good surge coupler??? Electric..... 8)

They all pretty much work as advertised, just don't fool around with any used ones. From what I have seen during my 15+ years in the business they are pretty much only good for 2 to 4 years before they need replaced.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby brian_bp » Thu May 08, 2008 7:48 pm

I assume that we're talking about a coupler which includes a surge braking actuator (master cylinder), not receiver.

What I've noticed is that they only seem to come in two "sizes" (meaning two master cylinder diameters). One is matched to drum brakes typical on about 3000 lb axles (so they are described as 6000 lb capacity, assuming tandem axles), while the other is matched to somewhat higher axle capacity (so they are described as 8000 lb capacity, again assuming tandems).

The Caravan axle probably has somewhat less than 3000 lb capacity, but larger brakes than typical for a trailer axle of the same rating. The lower-rated couplers would likely be a better match.

Fulton lists separate models for drum and disc brakes; the disc version ("D" in the model number, instead of "B") would likely have a smaller-diameter cylinder for higher pressure, but less fluid volume. Although the Caravan axle presumably has drums, the disc actuator might be a better match in size.

Which brands or designs are good? I have no idea.

Hydraulic trailer brakes are available in "free backing" form, which don't apply when the wheels are rotated in reverse. Without that, you need some way to keep the coupler from applying brake pressure when pushing the trailer backwards - that usually means an electric (solenoid) valve (wired to the van's backup lights), or a manual lock-out lever (both are options on the Fulton actuators; "LO" in the model is manual lock-out, "S" is solenoid).

Fulton is the Cequent brand for this type of stuff (Cequent's other brands include Bargman, Tekonsha, Reese, Draw-Tite, Bulldog, Hidden Hitch...). I just happen to have their catalog handy; there are other suppliers.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby zukamini » Thu May 08, 2008 10:51 pm

Thank you for the information. and yes i mean coupler (sorry) . E&A hitch shop has the fulton brand in stock .
zukamini
Teardrop Builder

Postby brian_bp » Fri May 09, 2008 5:30 pm

It might also be interesting to have a look at what U-Haul uses on their brake-equipped trailers; they're generally the tandems, but with lower per-axle capacity than that assumed for the "6000 lb" and "8000 lb" actuators, and thus maybe better suited to a small trailer.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets