Easy, Painless and Cheap way to Register your Trailer

Important Information and Stickies...
(Threads with essential information about building teardrops)

Re: Easy, Painless and Cheap way to Register your Trailer

Postby harleymsn » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:37 pm

KCStudly wrote:I have some experience with registering a vehicle in Maine using a power of attorney second party service. This is totally legal... in Maine.

However, your home state may have a different opinion. In my hot rod truck, registered in ME, home address on registration in CT, I have been given verbal warnings that it is not legal and that I should re-register, but so far no tickets or written warnings. (I think the cops dig the truck and only want to be doing their job without hassling me too much.)

I have heard of people being contacted thru the mail by CT DMV that their ME reg. needed to be transfered, but I think these were cases where they switched from a previous CT reg. to ME. Mine was out of state purchase never reg. in CT so I have not had that problem.

Lots of custom car/hot rod types resort to this method because Mainers are laid back easy going and CT is up tight.

It has to do with the federal highway money. CT wants it and ME says to go pound sand, keep your rules.

I can't speak for CT, but I was a police officer in NY state for 25 years and I can tell you that NY State V&T Law makes it illegal to live within the state and operate an out of state registered vehicle, registered to you for more than 30 days. After the 30 days NYS deems the vehicle unregistered, subject to tow and impoundment.
harleymsn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby parnold » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:07 pm

harleymsn wrote:I can't speak for CT, but I was a police officer in NY state for 25 years and I can tell you that NY State V&T Law makes it illegal to live within the state and operate an out of state registered vehicle, registered to you for more than 30 days. After the 30 days NYS deems the vehicle unregistered, subject to tow and impoundment.

I was under the impression that law applied to motor vehicles. NJ is the same way. Do you know this to be applicable to trailers also?
parnold
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:47 pm

A wise friend of mine once taught me, "If something doesn't make sense, look at the money angle."

The states want their due, motorized or not. If they can collect fees they will not want you circumnavigating that and sending your money out of state. A bigger issue is probably the local property taxes. My town gets several hundred dollars from me each year after adding up all of my registered vehicles, boat included (not so for Maine, as I have no property there, don't think they have property taxes).

I didn't mean to be a nay sayer on the Maine reg., I've done it for years on what was at one time my daily driver (a chopped, lowered and loud P/U with no seat belts or door handles; I paid the reg and a handling fee, but no sales or property tax, and no safety inspection). I just thought it should be made known that it may not be as legal as we all might like it to be.

But then again, the only likely downside of being called out on it by your own state is being told to correct it within a certain time. So no harm no foul if you get caught (so long as you still have your ducks in a row and can legally register in your own state).

I bought my boat w/ trailer in neighboring Rhode Island. The trailer had no apparent VIN and only a bill of sale. I did have a copy of the previous reg. which was listed as a home built. The trailer was very obviously not home built. It has formed tubing and is your typical galvanized boat trailer with adjustable everything and tilting tongue, however RI DMV called it a home built for the previous owner to get around the lack of a VIN.

I had a bit of a concern when bringing it into CT so I called my local DMV and spoke with the inspector, explained that it was RI home built with no VIN, but that it was really not home built. Said bring it in (I had to remind him that I needed a temp plate). He took one look and said it was not a home built (duh), checked the lights, measured the length and width, set the weight rating based on the tire side wall rating, and gave me a VIN sticker. I was actually surprised at how easy it had gone, but think that calling first and dealing with the same inspector that I spoke to on the phone helped (at least in this case).

If it had been a true home built I would have had to make an appointment with the state office in Wethersfield (during weekday hrs.) and had a more formal inspection. TPCE is home built and will have to go thru this process.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby harleymsn » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:51 am

parnold wrote:
harleymsn wrote:I can't speak for CT, but I was a police officer in NY state for 25 years and I can tell you that NY State V&T Law makes it illegal to live within the state and operate an out of state registered vehicle, registered to you for more than 30 days. After the 30 days NYS deems the vehicle unregistered, subject to tow and impoundment.

I was under the impression that law applied to motor vehicles. NJ is the same way. Do you know this to be applicable to trailers also?

Yes it did apply to trailers. I did retire and leave the state 7 years ago so that may have changed, but I doubt it. Now I'm in TN and they don't require trailers under 20' to be registered unless they are campers or for commercial use, so this leads to a lot of trailers with no titles. I wanted my 18' car hauling trailer registered so I had to register it as a semi trailer.
harleymsn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby len19070 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:07 am

When I originally posted this information it was as an alternative way of registering your trailer.

The option of having an alternative was because some states have such a ridiculous, Costly, time consuming and sometimes impossible process's.

Some have chimed in on how easy it was/is in there state......thank you for rubbing it in! :lol: In my state Pennsylvania there are many, many inconsistencies in the rules as well as having to deal with uninformed people who like to pound there chests making it very, very difficult.

The state of Maine offers Non-Residents this option. I and others have successfully taken advantage of this option.

What we do once we get our Maine Registration is up to us.

I do not think the 30 day switch registration applies, and I would argue this because we did not move from Maine to our present residence. This is a specific registration for Non-Residents of Maine.

Our options at this point are to continue with a Maine Registration.

Or

Transfer the Maine registration to you home State.

The difference is once you have had a Maine registration you have documentation from a States DMV that your trailer has been registered currently and that it is yours.

This has been done successfully by 2 of my customers in Pennsylvania very easily with the Maine Documentation.

Nobody is trying to "Cheat" or do anything "Illegal" Just go Camping! And I hardly think that my $21 going to Maine is going to Bankrupt the state of Pennsylvania. In fact it will probably save them Man Hours.

Just my Experience.

Happy Trails

Len

BTW, I haven't been pulled over by any officer since 1973, and never pulling a trailer. :D
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby harleymsn » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:27 pm

Len, if you took my post as a knock, I am sorry, I did not intend that. I was simply explaining NYS policy on registrations. I will most likely do the Maine route myself. Here in TN most utility trailers, as well as 'pop ups', horse, livestock and boat trailers are not required to be registered unless they are used for commercial purposes. I recently acquired a used boat trailer that I plan to use for a TD base. Of course since the previous owner never registered it, there is no title, and being a 1972 any kind of paperwork is long gone. I want it registered and titled, so I'll go the Maine rt and maybe later register it as a semi trailer in TN.
harleymsn
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dean in Ct. » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:10 pm

I just got off the phone after speaking to Heather and she said the packet would be in the mail tomorrow. I have a bill of sale from the previous owner and what I think is a R.I. dmv issued vin (only 6 digits). We'll see!
I'll let you know how it goes...
Dean in Ct.
Teardrop Master

Postby tomm » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:46 pm

I just got my Maine plate a couple of days ago and just put it on the trailer today. I just registered it for the first year (as a utility trailer) may transfer to MD after the build. It took two tries as they sent it back the first time because I didn't send the sales receipt from Harbor Freight.
Tom Mabie
[email protected]
301-461-8620 (c)
tomm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BobBash » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:50 am

Just because Maine will register a trailer doesn't mean that your home state is ok with it . If it's true that after 30 days an out of state registration becomes null & void , then what happens if you have an accident in your home state that involves the trailer or is caused by the trailer ? I don't know the answers, but I would at the very least , make sure with my home state before I hit the road ..............
BobBash
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:55 pm

That's probably more a question for the insurance company... if they want a reason to get out of paying, they will find it.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:20 am

Just because Maine will register a trailer doesn't mean that your home state is ok with it . If it's true that after 30 days an out of state registration becomes null & void , then what happens if you have an accident in your home state that involves the trailer or is caused by the trailer ? I don't know the answers, but I would at the very least , make sure with my home state before I hit the road ..............

Did it, done it and got the answers.

The 30 days null & void is only if you move from one state to another. The ME. registration is specifically for Non-Residents....I have verified this by both PA. State and Local Police.

As far as being in an accident, if your registration is good...your good.

Once again, this is nothing new. Many of us, and others have used this form of registration for years, asked all the questions, have been stopped by Police and had no problems.

I posted this information as a suggestion for those with "Problem States" Never expected anyone to Blindly follow.

I agree, ask questions...but ask the right people! :worship:

Call the Number! 1 207 624 9000, Ext. 52151

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Dean in Ct. » Wed May 02, 2012 8:44 pm

Got my plate and registration today! Very happy guy. $44 and 22 days to process it. Thank you state of Maine! Hope to get some more done this weekend if the weather is decent!
Dean in Ct.
Dean in Ct.
Teardrop Master

Postby parnold » Mon May 28, 2012 9:27 am

KCStudly wrote:That's probably more a question for the insurance company... if they want a reason to get out of paying, they will find it.

On a sad side note, I backed into a car (my daughter in laws brand new Rogue) with one of my trailers. I do not pay for trailer insurance. When I called the insurance company, they never asked if the trailer was registered (it is). They are paying for the damage to the other vehicle. I'll know in a month or so if this will affect my rates. This is the first time in fifteen years I've had a claim on my insurance that was my fault. I happen to have a "nice" insurance company. My trailer is covered by liability while attached to my vehicle, but this may not be true of all insurance companies. A call to your insurance company will tell you that, or if your in need of sleep you can try to read your policy :shock: .

What I found strange is that they asked about damage to my trailer? I broke a $10.00 light, which I told them.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue May 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Sorry to hear about your accident Paul, but very happy that it all worked out for you. Does your nice insurance company have a lizard working for them?
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby captainjacknicholais » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:28 am

Great tip, I plan on using this, can't take the NJ MV fees anymore. Great Tear design, ever think of making it an iron on for NJ tear jerkers? I'd like to make some iron on prints...... send you one free....
captainjacknicholais
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Essential Information about building teardrops