6x12 CTC log cabin.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby d30gaijin » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:23 pm

Wolfscout,

Great build thread with lots of innovative ideas... I will be stealing from. 8)

I really like the outside sink setup and may do something similar but perhaps on a smaller scale (a one sink setup rather than dual sinks). Great for washing dishes or doing laundry. Our inside galley sink is really only good for splash washing faces or brushing teeth. A larger hang on the side of the CT sink would be very useful. :applause:

Thank you for sharing some great ideas. :thumbsup:

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Wolfscout » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:43 pm

I'm bad about using what I got on hand. That sink is an old recycled sink that I use out by the Garden every year for years. *chuckles* I just recycled it again for good use. For the wife to wash and dry her dishes and such. Glad you liked the idea.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

2016 8X20 Homestead Patriot CTC
CTC 2

'90 6x12 Wells Cargo Trailer Conversion
my 1st build= CTC 1 FB album history.
Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby d30gaijin » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:00 pm

Wolfscout wrote:I'm bad about using what I got on hand. That sink is an old recycled sink that I use out by the Garden every year for years. *chuckles* I just recycled it again for good use. For the wife to wash and dry her dishes and such. Glad you liked the idea.

Wolfscout,

I don't have any old sinks hanging around the house but I bet I can find one at the Local Habitat for Humanity store. I need to head their way to look for small cabinet doors for the upper galley cabinets so will shop for a suitable sink at the same time. Again, thanks for sharing a great idea.

Don
d30gaijin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Wolfscout » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:08 pm

We went to Dreher Island State Park today to do some cycling. While riding through the campground area.. I spotted a Cargo trailer that was loaded up to head out. what caught my attention was the cargo carrier and the canoe that they had mounted on top. It's an Idea I have been churning on because my trailer came with a rack that I was told carried a 12 foot jon boat. (see image of original )
What I need to do is figure out some side rails for mounting the cargo bag that I have that fits on a rear to a 2" hitch mounted mount cargo carrier.

I was thinking on some flat steel but don't like the weight issue.
I thought on some EMT pipe bolted to the rack for tying down that cargo bag.
I'd rather not use any more lumber as it's height is a harder area to access.
Any ideas?
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby pete42 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:24 pm

question do you find you have enough room in a 6X12 I think there are three of you?
I ask due to a friend allways telling me go bigger I like a 7X12

thanks pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Wolfscout » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:52 am

We've had one week long trip to the beach and two weekend trips to the lake so far. yes, There was three of us at the beach. I don't think a 7x12 would have really added much to it being a three person trip. it may have given us a few more inches of room sleeping long ways across the entire space. I've pulled 7 wide open style trailers. Most campgrounds that we go to have very narrow roads. many with curbs. A 7 foot wide would be very difficult to back into some of these cramped campsites that you find sometimes at lake campgrounds.
I don't think a 7x12 would really assist in a 4 person camper unless they were kids. Perhaps with a bunk bed setup. I dunno. We're way past the taking of kids time frame.:lol: :twisted: :applause:

And we have one coming up in couple weeks where there will be a total of 4. ( my son and his gal ). When son and his gal come, I plan to use a cabin tent next to the camper.
I think the 6x12 works for me and what we do and my cabinet setup.
Saturday I purchased Etrack from the Northern Tool store to begin redoing my camper bed. Wall to wall bed will enhance a three person sleeping area.
I'm going to make it sorta like Chester's bed/couch http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=43306. With the ability to convert to a couch during the day.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby pete42 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:50 am

I remember Chester's bed/couch nice touch.
I want the 7 foot wide because I am planning on two beds/couch's starting close to the rear of the trailer and running down both sides toward the front each 32" wide.
this would leave about 14" between the beds (inside trailer 6' 6") so one person does not have to craw over the other.
If I went with a 28" and a 32" bed there would be even more room.
On all my other travel trailers the one thing I disliked was having to get out of the way when those late night nature calls arrived.
Having said that if I get my trailer this year before my Florida trip I will just install a futon it folds into a double bed.
Being retired I like to spend some of the winter months in Florida, I did miss last two due to someone Else's health it is usually only mine I worry about.
I have been watching your build and I like the vacation pictures in fact I enjoy seeing everyone's vacation pictures there are a lot of beautiful places in the good ol' USA.
Pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Wolfscout » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:37 am

hrm.. we slept three wide in the 6x12 at the beach. It's wasn't so bad. on had her light sleeping bag.. and Wife and I shared a blanket
not much problem or concern about stepping on anyone. We didn't have that problem during that week. Not that it will be much of a problem for us.. as it's usually going to be just the two of us.

Yes.. the etrack is going to help a lot with my back getting up and down from that low.
I get the idea of a couch on either side. lot of lumber adds weight if the Tow vehicle is a concern. I'm trying to keep weight down so I can tow with my $50 S-10. *chuckles*
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:31 pm

I got my Etrack up today for the bed/ couch.
Have to decide on what lumber and what to lay for a mattress support. probably .5" plywood.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:48 am

I had a wild idea

What about using aluminum construction studs for the bed cross pieces?
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby pete42 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:35 pm

I don't think they would be strong enough the ones I have seen are pretty flimsy
strong vertical look weak laying on their side.

but what do I know some people use foam and glue to make a TD.
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Wolfscout » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:02 pm

That's kinda what I been thinking.
Someone's gotta try it I suppose. LOL Maybe I will. I dunno yet.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

Postby Moho » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:22 pm

Metal Studs are not rated to support any amount of weight. It's suggested by most manufacturer's to not even hang doors or cabinets on them without a support structure. For example when finishing my basement when framing even a hollow core door I had to rip a 2x4 to put on the inside of the metal stud on both sides to support the weight of hanging a hollow core door.
Moho
Teardrop Master

Postby Kharn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:25 pm

I wouldn't try to sleep over them, a few 2x3s isn't that much weight.
Kharn
500 Club

Postby Wolfscout » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:42 pm

reckon that voids out that idea. I'll pick up some untreated studs.
Larry Fulmer, Jr.

CTC 2

Wolfscout
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions