The Charlie Project

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Charley Project Having Issues

Postby Forrest747 » Sun May 20, 2012 4:53 pm

Well the trailer is stranded in southern Utah for hopefully only a week. My jeep limped home and will be in the shop this week. Take the opportunity for an "empty" garage to put stuff away and sweep the floor. A few things about the campout my baby is now dirty and will need a bath when it gets home. No matter how many times u vacuum there will be sawdust all over the bed when u get to the campsite. Need to figure out a trashcan. Hated putting the chairs and prop rods inside. So maybe find a way to store these items on the side or roof. Not sure about the roof vent I really never been a fan of it and I figure if its cool in the middle of the night with the windows open musy have gotten enough fresh air. Not enough storage space with the loft and the three cabinets are good for not much more than keys and such. The lower three spaces are covered by the mattress so we shall see. Maybe add something to the front area for storage. I don't know we shall see take a few more trips. Have another one in two weeks where my dad wants to go camping with the grandsons on their father sons campout not much time to get her back home and a few more days of finishing touches
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby parnold » Sun May 20, 2012 7:24 pm

I had some storage issues with my tear also. My problem was trying to keep too much stuff inside the trailer that I didn't really need while sleeping, radio, laptop, and a full pack of clothes, etc. I lock some stuff up in my car overnight, and take out tomorrow's cloths so the whole pack is not inside.

You will undoubtedly discover things on each of your first few trips to change or add. I guess that's why they say they are never really done.

Keep enjoying!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun May 20, 2012 8:23 pm

parnold wrote:I had some storage issues with my tear also. My problem was trying to keep too much stuff inside the trailer that I didn't really need while sleeping, radio, laptop, and a full pack of clothes, etc. I lock some stuff up in my car overnight, and take out tomorrow's cloths so the whole pack is not inside.

You will undoubtedly discover things on each of your first few trips to change or add. I guess that's why they say they are never really done.

Keep enjoying!

Yes! Everytime you take it out, at least at first, it seems there is another thought of ways to make it better and, in turn, it gets better! The more clever you are, the better it will become. :thumbsup: Please be sure to share the ideas that you come up with. Ideas help everybody.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Forrest747 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:45 am

Well here are the pics.
Doors front and back not finished
Tongue box needs a lid
How the day started rain and lots of it.
Hamster proud of his work
Galley all set to go and show
A little tight

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby parnold » Tue May 22, 2012 9:33 am

From the grin on your son's face, I'd say he didn't care that the trailer wasn't 100% complete! Looks like he was enjoying himself! :applause: :applause:
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Forrest747 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:37 am

He had a great time. Did hear a couple of guys complain that i brought a huge trailer into a small space. i thought i took up less of a footprint than some tents in the area. SO looked up the coleman elite that was next to me and i saw about 7 tents of the same size. they ate up 17 feet by 9 feet footprint. just the tent. so my 6 foot (with the wheels) by 13 feet 8 inches (with the tongue) takes up less space and i have a mattress sleep three comfortably and kitchen with a sink. PLUS people want to see my trailer and NOT your tent, because everyone has a tent.

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Tue May 22, 2012 5:49 pm

Bravo on your first outing, 8) feels don,t it? Get the jeep sorted out a the let the mods to the trailer begin:)
Trailer is looking good, and isn,t great the way red just blends in?
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby Martiangod » Tue May 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Bravo on your first outing, 8) feels good don,t it? Get the jeep sorted out a the let the mods to the trailer begin:)
Trailer is looking good, and isn,t great the way red just blends in?

Chris

Martiangod
500 Club

Re: The Charley Project Somewhere in Japan.....

Postby Forrest747 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:29 pm

Well the trailer is back in the garage. Other than a few hills you couldn't tell it was back there. Well while getting gas on the way home I come out from getting a soda and there are about 5 people on vacation from Japan taking pictures of my trailer and making comments on how can anyone sleep in something so small and wondered if it had a bathroom. Maybe will inspire some builds in Japan

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby stix » Sun May 27, 2012 3:43 am

. Well while getting gas on the way home I come out from getting a soda and there are about 5 people on vacation from Japan taking pictures of my trailer and making comments on how can anyone sleep in something so small and wondered if it had a bathroom.

Hmm maybe those Japanese folk had never heard of a capsule hotel!!!

http://www.yesicanusechopsticks.com/capsule/

Not to much extra or wasted space in there. :) :)

Stix
stix
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Forrest747 » Tue May 29, 2012 11:37 am

I kept thinking if I was in Japan or China I would do the exact same thing if i saw something totally different. well i got it home and took the tape off and i will need to find a way to get all teh goo off, from teh tape. it will also need a bath of somesort to get the dust off. kids off for summer so we can work things out.

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby Forrest747 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:53 am

Well I have one door latch on and I am not happy. i love the latch just the gap. i knew i had a gap but after measuring it was 5/8 of an inch. will need to figure a way to close that gap. stained teh interior door panels and noticed some red got on one of them. oh well it adds charcater. finished trimming out the galley. not happy with my work around the outlet, i really didnt plan that well. things to learn for next time i guess. hopefully going to get the front marker lights wired up this evening, which now i recall a bbq at my dads house tonight, so that is not going to happen. another campout this weekend,. with my dad, sons and a nephew and alot of people that saw this build from the start, no pressure. We did get all six of us in teh camper it wasnt fun but we did it, clown car anyone. 4 is about the max to sleep comfortably.

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby PSBreen » Thu May 31, 2012 12:37 pm

Just a thought here and please remember I'm as new to this teardrop building as you are. I used 1/4" x 2" Popular board for the spacer and seal ring around my doors. They sell 1/2" x 3" x 4' at that blue box store for about $4. I would think that you could use some of it to fill in your gap. You'll need to make sure that the edge you are attaching it too is straight and flat to get a good bond. Just an idea I'm throwing out there.
Steve & Cynthia
PSBreen
Donating Member

Postby Martiangod » Thu May 31, 2012 5:44 pm

You could try repositioning the hinges, slot the bolt holes a bit to even up the gap around the door, rather then tight at hinge .
Then weather strip the opening.

And don't beat yourself up.
IEvery time I look at mine, i find something wrong, or something I don't like, or something I could have done differently.
You will find that you are your own worst critic....I know I am,,lol
Or line the opening with an aluminum angle, with the lip to the inside to act as a door stop, then line the door with an aluminum angle with the lip to the outside to hide the gap

Chris

Martiangod
500 Club

Re: The Charley Project good and bad day

Postby Forrest747 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:23 pm

The trip was a great one. It pulled up the conyon great and went through some tight spots through some trees and mud. Found we can sleep 2 adults and 2 kids. Its tight and uncomfortable but doable. One the way home went home a different way that had a nice step incline both ways. Did great in second gear. Afterwards we got it weighed and it came in 1690 pounds I was floored that it weighed that much almost want to take to another scale. Well after the weight and heading home at 70 mph Charley came off the hitch made it safe to the side however the tongue slid under the back of the jeep. Left a dust imprint of the spare tire at the front of the trailer. The hitch tore the tongue box lid a nice hole. once we got it back on duck tape the latch down. Will need to clean it up later a look at it does not seem much damage and new safety chains. I read a post about adjusting the hitch coupler I will need to look into that and get a hitch lock

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals