The Charlie Project

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: The Charley Project Take your trailer to work day.

Postby Forrest747 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:45 am

Well got back the walk in teh winds and it was a blast. so much good food and laughter and even an angus bear sighting. got several good ideas for teh next trailer and well see how it goes. even a few ideas on the current build.

this was the first full up event for teh trailer. found that paper plates are the way to go, washing dishes as little as possible is a good thing. the water is cold and teh outdoors is cold we are talking hypothermia of the hands. will add a shelf underneath the upper cabinets to store cans and small things. need to add the 12 volt ports so that i can charge cell phones and ipods.

the tables are a great addition. the folding chairs will rub the finish right off the doors so not happy about that.

two blankets are better than one.

5 feet wide and two doors are a must for any couple camping.

7 lights in any trailer is way over kill. 4 is about the right amount

watch out for pine beetles they may land on your shoulder without you knowing.

I met Slow Cowboy what an honor! He sat in our chairs so we now need to have it engraved Slowcowboy sat here.
"All the success on the trail can not compensate for having square headlights"

"I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37701 Build Journal
Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Re: The Charley Project "I know Slow"

Postby Forrest747 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:07 pm

Well i sat and stewed over the build on Monday when I got back and learned a few things. going to use this trailer for a couple of years before i build teh next one. Looking at what others did in thier gfalleys i decied I would add a shelf for canned goods under the upper cabinet and above the counter on teh back wall. it will go from the edge of the sink to the right to the power outlet and then about another 6 inches. I also am taking the time to add a 12 volt outlet and a usb outlet. i took one of those walmart 3 dollar 12 volt to usb adapters took it apart and will hot wire it to provide the power. I also got a replacement outdoor thermoter transmitter and it works great. with it working i took the bad one apart took out teh batteries and reinstalled and it works. guess it just neeeded reset. keep it as a spare. was wondering if i could hook it up to the main battery i do not know we shall think about that.

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby bigblockbarry » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:47 pm

Glad your trip turned out well. I was a bundle of nerves leaving home last week and it turned out to be worry for nothing. Maybe we will have some good camping weather coming our way soon. :thumbsup:
bigblockbarry
Donating Member

Postby Forrest747 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:41 am

Been thinking about the next build as this one is wrapping up. Know what I liked and things I would change and while I have only trip in the trailer and 3 minor trips. First would be the frame. I would do a smaller frame since it will be lighter and strong enough. Looking at aggie Tom trailer there is a point where he had it on 3 jacks and with his wife and him in it without flex. Talking with others and it makes sense if you build a strong wall to floor attachment than your trailer frame can be less. Even looking at the harbor frieght or northertool trailers and how c channel or thin gauge steel is strong enough. So for the frame I would build out of 1x2 16 gauge rectangular tubing with a straight 2x3 1/4 inch for the tongue with it going under the front crossmember and attaching to the first or even second cross member. Have 1x2 angled supports. Fame will be just 6 feet long just 6 inches past the leaf spring attachement. I am feeling more comfortable with the concept of the curve more of a benroy shape for the next one. Instead of ripping 2x4 into spars will just be as easy to by poplar 1x2 to use. I really didn't believe in the power oif glue at first. But now I believe in how strong it is. Screws should just be used to hold the pieces together until the glue is set. Going to learn how to use kreg pocket screws. Will make a lot thing easier and a lot less sanding. Always use non white insulation. I am liking some of the LED lights out there and feel more and better ones come out. Ui love Zach led strips and plan on using those or something like them. I also like the idea of under led light to use as a porch light. On top of that mosquitos cant see led light. I will use 1/2 inch interior plywood and use cookie cutter to add insulation. Use 1/8th inch outer sides and roof, with two layers on the roof and front. Interior will be an exotic veneer like cherry. Still do a car battery and inverter for power. Will not do a water tank or in counter sink. Easier and more practicle to use water jugs. I would still do a cooler. I will do cabinets over the feet and deeper galley cabinets. I will do premade doors which will make that easier and cleaner than what I have done. Will do a curved hatch so much easier to work under. In an effort to help with the frame weight I will put the wheels under the body. May eat up some foot space but worth it. I may still make my own mattress out of Joann foam. Light switches will be in the roof or in the cabinets. Usb and 12volt recepticable are a must. Fiberglass tape the edges and paint. I will use aeromarine epoxy its a good epoxy and the cost per gallon is great. Spend some additional time to learn to feather and hide the tape. Love the rustoleum paint and now comes in so many colors.

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby Forrest747 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:59 am

Well i am offically done i think with all major projects. Are you ever really done. Maybe burnout has set in or something but i find myself not out in the garage to work on it as much. I am donig a bathroom downstairs now and about 250 sqft of tiling. I have added a shelf along the back wall to put cans and boxes and a spot for teh 12 volt and usb. wires are all run but need to hook into the fuse box.

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:30 am

Looks like Ive missed a bunch of your updates! Thats awesome that you got to meet Slow!

Forrest747 wrote:Been thinking about the next build as this one is wrapping up. Know what I liked and things I would change

Yup, that happens! :? :shock: :lol:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby parnold » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:54 am

Forrest:

I didn't notice the airplane on your roof when I saw your trailer in Wyoming. Is that detachable?

:)
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Forrest747 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:15 pm

The FAA and the Department of Interior would not let me bring that due to noise concern, Whatever. So i left it in Pinedale.

Actually there is a really cool PBY Catalina that some made into thier RV. Now that would be fun.

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Re: The Charley Project First trip 2013

Postby Forrest747 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:31 am

Well took Charlie out for the first time this season. Made some changes and found needs for others. so here are a few thoughts.

I did not bring the tables cause it was getting too cluttered inside and so I left them. Ok not a good idea, my coleman stove does not fit on the rear counter cause the lid is too high. so ok thought i would just slide out the cooler rack and put it on there, well that didnt work as well cause it wasnt level. so moral of the story take one table at least.

light switches i hate where i put them, not going to move them but i have to sit up to turn off the lights,not cool.

I have no place to charge my phone inside. while i attempted last fall to add a place to add cellphone charging it sucked. I also have no place inside to charge over night. More on this later

The cubbys at my feet do hold things nice but its a pain i really want some over head place to put keys, flashlight and stuff in pockets, so i want a shelf over my head. if i had been smart i would of put the light switches here. so the summer project will be to add a shelf overhead and in the center i will put a spot for some DC power outlets to charge cell phones.

I also moved my stablizing jacks to the front and made a huge improvement on the motion of the trailer. I need to figure a way to attach the mini pedistals cause they slipped a couple of times. plus the front jack wheel sunk in the mud

Had two people ask about the trailer while driving, including once in Beaver UT who they are starting to buy parts. Mentioned Vintage trailer parts as a good source. first guy was shocked i built myself but loved all the jeep parts. felt bad couldnt show the galley.

put the door seals through about an hour of rain at 60 mph and things stayed dry inside, so I am happy about that. the roof rack idea keeps coming up just not sure about getting the chairs all windswept and wet. maybe a tarp or enclosure I am not sure.
Last edited by Forrest747 on Mon May 13, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Mon May 13, 2013 11:43 am

Forrest, I smiled at your plan to put a shelf over your head. I wanted so bad to put one overhead for us to hold all those little things you mention. I even built the shelf, nice rail on it, the back side beveled to sit flush against the curvature in the wall. Lance put the ka-bosh on that idea (in no uncertain terms).

One of the boats we lived aboard had a small bookshelf on the bulkhead over his side of the bed. In an effort to get across his displeasure at the location of this shelf, I came to bed one evening and discovered him sleeping in his bicycle helmet.

When he said 'NO SHELF OVER MY HEAD" in the teardrop, I suggested the bicycle helmet. He was not amused, or persuaded.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Forrest747 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:53 am

Oldragbaggers wrote:Forrest, I smiled at your plan to put a shelf over your head. I wanted so bad to put one overhead for us to hold all those little things you mention. I even built the shelf, nice rail on it, the back side beveled to sit flush against the curvature in the wall. Lance put the ka-bosh on that idea (in no uncertain terms).

One of the boats we lived aboard had a small bookshelf on the bulkhead over his side of the bed. In an effort to get across his displeasure at the location of this shelf, I came to bed one evening and discovered him sleeping in his bicycle helmet.

When he said 'NO SHELF OVER MY HEAD" in the teardrop, I suggested the bicycle helmet. He was not amused, or persuaded.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

lol

no going to give this some thought, i also need to finish the train wreck of a shelf in the galley. needs a support or two plus i really need to get my galley figured out. such great ideas that havent seemed to work out. but the overhead shelf will be up way high no bike helmet needed.

i roof rack is also in order i figured cause the lawn chairs got mud on them and they ride inside, good thing just a one night outing.

plus the tongue jack caster wheel has died. it was injured early on in the build and now has cracked in half, so need to replace that. I also like your toungue box so waiting to replace that feature when the price is right.

Rear hatch is also getting a look at maybe but the one couple in Beaver liked my snaps to attach canapoy and such, now just need to make a canapoy

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

Re: The Charlie Project

Postby S. Heisley » Mon May 13, 2013 9:17 pm

Forest and Becky, it is possible to install a small shelf that you will not bump your head on; but, it will need to be minimal.

I, too was worried about adding a shelf but really wanted a "skew" (Specticles/KEys/Wallet place). So, I calculated what I could do and tested whether I would hit my head or not. I found that I could put in a small shelf, 8" down from the lower ceiling area and protruding 3 & 3/4" from the wall and that this would be enough for what I wanted without causing head-bumping problems. This is because one does not usually sleep with their head directly against the wall; plus, when lifting one's head and/or upper body, there is a natural circling/radius motion performed by the body that takes the head away sufficiently to accommodate that small shelf. Also, no matter how tall one is, the position of the head in relation to the wall would be about the same and the semi-circle in lifting the head or body would be similar in most cases. In the picture below, you can see those shelves. Notice that the picture was taken with the lifting roof in the down position (during a winter camp-in) and that I have an approximately 6" wide lower ceiling all the way around, where the electrical and lights are. This lower portion of the roof is the same height as a standard teardrop; so, the above information should relate to your needs. I hope this helps.

S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mezmo » Tue May 14, 2013 12:52 am

Sharon's solution is spot-on. You could also try little corner
shelves, out of your head's trajectory. A curved shape to them
might just give some incremental extra space to them.

Could you just add [a couple] more lights, switched on them or
with new switches for them, where you've found they'd be more
convenient ? A couple more lights couldn't hurt any. Maybe
combine them with the shelf/corner-shelves and hide the wiring
in the wall corners under some 3/4 - 1in wide cove molding or such.

TD personalizing and adjustments are just an open ended thing...

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue May 14, 2013 8:41 pm

mezmo wrote:Sharon's solution is spot-on. You could also try little corner
shelves, out of your head's trajectory. A curved shape to them
might just give some incremental extra space to them.

Could you just add [a couple] more lights, switched on them or
with new switches for them, where you've found they'd be more
convenient ? A couple more lights couldn't hurt any. Maybe
combine them with the shelf/corner-shelves and hide the wiring
in the wall corners under some 3/4 - 1in wide cove molding or such.

TD personalizing and adjustments are just an open ended thing...

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo

Thanks, Norm. I had originally planned on corner shelves. However, when I cut the shelf prototype out of cardboard and tried setting things on it, I discovered that the majority of a corner shelf was wasted as its three corner areas weren't big enough to use/sit anything on. I found that a straight across, rectangular shelf is your best bet as you can use all of it. Try making a shelf out of cardboard and taping it in place with painters tape or Frog tape. That will allow you to test and prove that what you plan to do will work. (Also, you can prove whether or not you will get a painful bump on your noggin...without the pain!)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Forrest747 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:23 am

Been thinking and listening to the great advice and here is the plan.
Going to need 12v in the center to power two 12v sockets. so going to remove the reading lamps and salvage to power the 12v sockets.
In the center a box will be constructed flush with the ceiling and on each end will be a 12v socket.
A 6 to 8 inch wide shelf will run from teh bottom of the box to each side or the trailer. made out of 1/2 plywood. with a inch to inch and half poplar strip to create a lip. painted black with maybe cherry paneling on the bottom.
I may add the reading lamps to the under side of the shelf, making them closer cause the reason i hate them is that its too much to reach up to turn on or off.

5/21 Update. Well looking at some scrap wood and planning i did find a cut piece that matches teh angle of teh front bulkhead. So cut some supports and made some rough cuts and drilled teh 12V socket access. All glued up and so far so good. thinking the front panel will just be held in place with magnets for easy access to teh wires. Shelf is going to be about 8 inches wide.

5/25 Update. Glued some of the cherry to the sides, installed the 12 volt sockets and started to wire it up. drilled the top hole where power lines come in. i then cut teh shelf to width and glued teh two halves to the box. i am going to dress teh bottom up with cherry. this will help stiffen it up.

5/28 Update. My dad gave me a old neglected medicine cabinet he wants me to restore so spent a couple of days taking it apart and sanding. I also finished putting the cherry paneling on. put a coat of stain on it. tomorrow i will apply a coat of spar urethane on it and the medicine cabinet. there is a slight bow to the shelf due to the clamps . I like it, gives a sense of flight. Going to apply some of the black vinyl i got and didnt use for the shelf. wrap it around teh front and about an inch maybe half inch on the cherry. going to use contact cement for the first time so any advice would be great. also a bracket was manufactured for teh galley shelf out of some 1 inch aluminum flat stock. 2013 upgrades are on track

Forrest747
Cowbell Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals