"Silver Nugget" Teardrop Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Update 10-22-2010

Postby down under tech » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:51 pm

I did get some more varnish put on the face frames and the galley cabinet this week. I have not had much time for myself lately. I have been helping my girlfriend Terry move her things up here to Reno so she can be closer to me. Then we won't have to go over Donner Pass on I-80 this winter. The snow there is miserable and some times, the road is closed due to too much snow.

I took some pictures of the varnished cabinet and face frames.

This is the galley cabinet. It has a red oak face frame and it has 1/4" oak ply covering the rest of it where it will be seen.

I used "Painter's Pyramids" to coat both sides of the red oak frames so I could get them finished up last light. I coated the back sides and flipped them over on top of the stands. Then I varnished the other side that will be visible. It saves a lot of time.

This is the insert for the front overhead cabinet RV stereo. It goes in the top frame in the above picture. I still need to lay out the stereo opening for that and cut it out.

No time to work on it this week end... maybe off and on next week and next week end???
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:26 pm

Love watching your build. Now you're fighting the weather. FYI, I got snow overnight. I think I heard it's heading for the valley floor. I'm so jealous I'm already buttoned up for the winter. Since I was sure I wasn't going to get it enclosed before the weather turned, I stuck my frame beside the house and will drag it out at the first sign of spring. For now I'm building a model of the "Beer Wagon". That will have to do. It's been a good learning tool even if it's just foam board.

Anyway, keep up the good work. I like your red oak cabinets. I've been planning the same.

Did you get your aluminum somewhere in Reno? I'm looking.

Hope the weather holds for you for a few more weeks.

NO :snowstorm: :rainy:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Update 10-31-2010

Postby down under tech » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:57 pm

Hi there everyone. I have been a busy boy this week-end. Yesterday, I spent most of the day cleaning, organizing and rearranging my storage unit so I can get the "Silver Nugget" inside and out of the coming winter weather. That was not fun. I loaded all of the scrap steel in one of my trailers so I can take it in for scrap. I can now park the TD inside. This way, I will be able to work on it inside during the winter.

atahoekid: I got my aluminum from MSM (Mike's Steel & Metals) on Greg Street in Sparks. at $65 for each sheet of 4' x 10'.

Today, I worked on the TD and permanently mounted the galley cabinet and the upper trim pieces after I waited for the third coat of varnish to dry from a few days ago, as well as the electrical control panel. I worked on the under counter area (Parnold, you wanted to see what was going to happen there) and I got that started even though it is not finished yet, I took some pictures for you all to see. What do you think?

The cabinet and trim looks good with varnish on it.

I used stamped tin panels (really it is plastic) I got at Lowes to dress up the under counter area. It is used as back splash in kitchens. I trimmed it with 1/4" x 1 1/2' red oak trim I made up.

I still need to cut it out for around the sink area but it has been a while since I posted an update, so here you go.

I will be too busy to do anything to it this coming week because I will be in class all next week to rectify my EMT certs as well as working at my job full time. It will be a couple of weeks before I can show you more progress.

Take care everyone...
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi, Johnny:

It looks good to me! Glad you now have a place to store your TD out of the winter weather. I'd say that was well worth the effort. :thumbsup:

Good luck on your EMT certs. With working too, it'll be a long, tiring week for you.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Update 10-31-2010

Postby Alfred » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:39 pm

down under tech wrote:I used stamped tin panels (really it is plastic) I got at Lowes to dress up the under counter area.

I really dig those tin panels - They remind me of the ceiling panels I have seen in many old buildings from the 1920's. Very retro cool!

AL in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:00 pm

Sharon: Thanks for your reply. I think I may have a Teardrop by next spring. I am surprised I have gotten this far on it since I am always busy with something else. I am used to working a lot of hours in a day, so next weeks schedule will not be new to me. Like they say, "Just do it".

Alfred: Thanks, but I am not through using these panels in my build. I will be using these for my ceiling inside the cabin, but a different color though. This is called oil rubbed bronze and will contrast with my interior colors that I plan on using. I used the silver ones in the galley because of the aluminum trim there and for the "Silver Nugget" theme.

They make these in either 18" x 24" or 2' x 2'. The ceiling panels are 2' x 2' and the back splash ones are 18" x 24". I got the smaller ones for under the counter because the height I needed was 15 1/2". I saved a few bucks this way.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:06 pm

I loved those tin panels at Lowe's and seriously considered using them myself. I was originally going to use the silver ones as a backsplash in the galley but decided against it in the end. My favorites are those bronze toned ones that you are going to use. Those will look absolutely beautiful in your cabin.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby down under tech » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:19 pm

Sharon: That was my thinking, too. I will have light oak side walls and the red oak cabinets. I am using a brown vinyl padded head board so the ceiling panels will fit right in there and all of this will contrast very nicely. The silver ones would make it too bright inside. Could you imagine waking up to all that light reflecting back at you? Arrrg...

The bronze ones will be more soothing to the eye and make it more comfortable to be inside, I think.
Plus, my girlfriend Terry, likes the choices I made for the inside of the TD. :roll:
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

I Passed My EMT Re-certifications.

Postby down under tech » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:42 pm

Sharon: I wanted to let you know that I passed my EMT re-certifications today. This has been a very long week.:applause:

I found out that I will have to work four hours overtime on three days next week at my job. I would like to get more done on my TD. I guess it will have to wait. I am running out of good weather now. I will have to take it to my storage unit to work on it there now. I will post more after I get some more done to it later if I can find the time to work on it.

I hope all is going go for all of you out there. ;)
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi, Johnny:

Congratulations on gettting your paramedic's re-certification! Now, we know who should definitely be invited to every camping event: PJ (Paramedic Johnny) and Nurse Debbie (once her thumb is healed, of course). ... :O Ya never know.... :lol:

As far as your trailer goes, you're on teardrop time, Johnny. You work on it when you can. :snow
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby down under tech » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:04 pm

Thanks Sharon: I am just an Basic EMT not a full Paramedic. I went to the Paramedics Training Center for my classes and testing. They train all levels of EMT's there. EMT Basics, EMT Intermediates & Paramedics. It just matters how much time you have and how much money you want to spend to get certified.
Last edited by down under tech on Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:13 pm

Hey Johnny D., you and I have something in common. I was a paramedic certified in Los Angeles County some 20 years ago or so. I worked for a private company that eventually became AMR. I left the business just before that happen because between my wife working 12 hour shifts as an RN and me working the 24's, the careers were getting in the way of family life. Most rewarding job I've ever had. Still miss it.

By the way, love the way your build is coming along. Looks great. Surprised you got anything done during your re-cert. That was always a ton of work. Keep it up :thumbsup:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:32 pm

Johnny...nice use of the faux stamped tin panels, good thinking!....I love it! I did the punched tin, but those stamped ones really set it off! A very nice treatment, and I think it's a first here for the real stamped look. Looks great with the oak! Glad you got it indoors for the winters work...Looking forward to seeing this baby done...maybe the Dam Gathering this spring Huh? Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby down under tech » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:26 pm

atahoekid: I am glad this is over now. I have been so busy with everything else going on that I can't work on my teardrop. I would like to go and camp in it. But not as a convertible. It might be a little drafty and the rain will get to you if it does rain. So I will just wait until I get a roof on it.

Doug: Thank you !!! When I get a reply from you, I think I am in the presence of a dignitary. You have the experience and ability to build some great looking trailers. I am trying to make a nice teardrop for me and my girlfriend. I would like to get it done so we can meet you at the Dam Gathering next spring. "It 'ill get done". It just takes more "Teardrop Time". I just want to keep others here interested as I go along.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

"Stop Work Order" Notice

Postby down under tech » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:45 pm

As most of you know, I have been working on my TD build out in the open. I have to work when the weather cooperates.

I received a "Stop Work Order Notice" from Mr. Winter. I put the "Silver Nugget in storage this week because I don't have any shelter for it here at my house. I rearranged the storage unit so I could fit it inside there. We had a couple of snow storms already this week and I got it out of the bad weather just in time.

I will work on it there as I can through the winter. I need to make the cabinet doors. I can do that at home on nice days. I "WILL" post when I can and I "WILL" take pictures for you to see.

Here is Terry's first Snowman. She is from the Sacramento, CA area and has not seen much snow in her life. I think she did a good job on here first one.
What do you think? :thinking:

I need to do some home improvement projects around here so this winter will give me the time to tackle some of it. Take care everyone !!!
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals