"Silver Nugget" Teardrop Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:06 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Looking really great! Don't really know about the Melamine question. 1/8" seems to bend pretty easy. Just take it easy!
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Re: Update 2-11-2011

Postby GuyllFyre » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:49 am

down under tech wrote:Next is the ceiling plywood. I'm not sure if I will use 1/8" luan or 1/8" (melamine) brown press board. If any of you have an idea which will be easier to work with please let me know what would work the best.
Thanks... :beautiful:

Melamine is the coating usually on HDF (High Density Fiber) board. HDF is very brittle and tends to crack when bent too much. Many times when people refer to melamine, it's particle board, which is also very brittle.
Benefit here is no finishing is required, the melamine finish will be washable and ready to use.

Luann will probably be your best bet for flexibility. It's still natural fiber, being a plywood of sorts, and is much more receptive to bending without being brittle. Downside is having to paint or seal the surface.
Things I have for sale on craigslist:
http://albany.craigslist.org/search/?ar ... catAbb=sss

Things I have for sale on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/seansmith
GuyllFyre
Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:43 pm

Plastic laminate (Formica) is pretty nice. I guess there are two types, VT and STD. VT can bend to a 3 inch radius, STD to a 6inch radius.

http://fixmycabinet.com/2010/01/14/bend ... -laminate/
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:21 pm

GuyIIFrye: I had already gone to HD early this morning before you posted on my question about luan or pressed hard board. Thanks for your suggestions. I went with the 1/8" press board.

Cliffmeister2000: Thanks for your suggestion, too. I started working on the TD before reading your reply. I am going to cover the press board anyway with the plastic faux tin panels on the ceiling.

Miriam: Thank you for your approval on my build so far. It is taking forever.

Sharon: It feels great to have the inner walls up and done with. Check my next post to see what I got accomplished today. They are calling for "SNOW" on Tuesday... Tomorrow I will return it to the storage unit so it will be cozy and dry.
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:39 pm

Today's update is a big one. I got up early and got to work on the "Silver Nugget". We have been having spring time weather here (63 degrees and sunny) and I can really go to town when it is warm outside.

I installed the cabin cabinets and the shelves.

I cut the press hard board inner ceiling pieces and fit them inside even though I was not ready to attach them because Mr. Sun went behind the mountains before I could attach them I had to make two of them because they weren't long enough for one piece to make it all the way from one end to the other. I will secure them at a later time.

Have a good Sunday and a very nice Valentines Day on Monday...:ilovecamp:
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:04 am

Looks like you're making good use of our spell of nice weather, too bad it's supposed to turn again mid next week. As much as we need the moisture, I'm hoping that we don't get much more this year. It means less snow blowing for me and it means that my trailer will get unburied that much sooner, so I can start working on the build.

Keep up the good work, it's looking great. I'll keep praying for good weather. Looks like you'll be ready to camp this summer for sure, hopefully by spring. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby myoung » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:07 am

Johnny,

Grab ever bit of warm weather you can because we all like watching your progress. Your care and attention to detail are an inspiration.
Mike Young
build thread: viewtopic.php?t=40459
myoung
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:30 am

:thumbsup: Glad you had a good day. It shows on your teardrop!

Hope the two of you enjoy your Valentines day!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby down under tech » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:44 pm

atahoekid (Mel): It was beautiful out yesterday, not a cloud in the sky. It got windy later in the afternoon. I just kept trudging through it. The winter will be back for a while this week. That is why I am using my time wisely while I can.

Mike: Thanks for your vote of confidence in my work. It means a lot to me coming from an expert builder of your caliber.

Sharon: Thank you so much... I have to work most of the day on Monday so Terry & I will celebrate our first Valentines Day this evening.

Today I will be working on the "Road Towed". Look for an update on it later today. :o
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby grizz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:20 am

NICE !!!!!!

Nicola bought me flowers too 8)

She has found a place that imports one of my favourite flowers, so on high days and holidays she gets them for me.

Your table looks truely romantic, really pleased for you guys.
Greetings from England.

Rian.

Hoping to get it all done in time.
grizz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:35 am

down under tech wrote: I have to work most of the day on Monday so Terry & I will celebrate our first Valentines Day this evening.

Ya done good with the flowers. That should make some young lady quite happy!! :applause: :applause:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:35 am

Grizz: Thanks. We hope you two had a great day, also.

atahoekidl: You're right... It did make a young lady very happy! "Mine"...
I made a whole lot of "Brownie Points" when I did that. :D
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:45 am

Hey Johnny, you're doing a great job on your tears! Thanks for keeping us all in the loop with updates. With the snow hitting this week, looks like a bit of a postponement of all our teardrop time.

Regards,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Update, 04-12-2011

Postby down under tech » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:34 pm

Today was spent working on the "Silver Nugget". I made up the dividers for the lower cabin cabinet and I got them installed. The center space will be open so I can place a small TV in there.

The part that really turned out looking exceptional is the section under the counter. I finally installed the faux tin ceiling panels trimmed in red oak. I really love that look. That jazzed up that area. What do you think?

I will see what I can get done tomorrow. They are calling for a chance of rain in the afternoon. I hope it will hold off so I can get a lot more done.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:48 pm

The faux tin looks great! I wonder how much will be visible when you are loaded up to go camping?
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals