"Silver Nugget" Teardrop Trailer

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Postby nevadatear » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Really like the tin, Johnny! :thumbsup:
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:15 pm

Cliffmeister2000 wrote:The faux tin looks great! I wonder how much will be visible when you are loaded up to go camping?

...What Cliffmeister said....

Cool license plate! You got lucky with that one. I would have thought all the personalized license plates like that were already taken.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby down under tech » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:32 am

Cliff: When it is loaded up to go camping, not much of the tin will show. When we get to the camp site, the water jugs and cooler will be removed and placed on the ground. Then it will be visible to anyone that happens by. It should be enough to strike up a long conversation about my build though. But do I really want that? Well heck yeah...

Randy and Debbie: Thanks much. It is really starting to look like something.

Sharon: I was really lucky being able to get that license plate. The lady at the DMV told me that it had been used but it was out of the system. In order for me to get it, it had to be unused for 18 months before they would issue it to another person. When she checked, it was just over 18 months by about 6 days. So, it was mine!!! I will get one for the "Road Towed" like RDTOWED or RDTOAD.

I'm back on the build today, so I will talk to you guys later. ;)
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:11 am

Hi Johnny, she's looking just great!! Love the license plate. :applause:
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:41 am

Dave: Thanks... Today I hope to have the inner ceiling panels installed.

It is hard to work on the TD with all of the small details to work out for Terry and my wedding coming up on Saturday. We try and do all of that stuff early in the morning since it is coldest then and TD time after it warms up later in the day.

Your TD frame is SWEET. It looks like you will never have a problem with it. Any saw dust yet??

:?
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:46 am

:thinking: Aren't you concerned that the water jugs and cooler might dent the tin when you're on the road or do you have stoppers in place to keep that from happening?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby down under tech » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:43 pm

Sharon: I'm not really concerned about the tin panels. They are made out of plastic, believe it or not. They have some give to them and I will be careful around them. They are inset behind the oak trim and I can place a piece of cardboard in front of the faux tin if I think there will be possible rubbing of the tin or I can place a bumper/stop so the cooler and water jugs won't slide back enough to hit the "tin". I have room to do this if needed.

:thumbsup:
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby nevadatear » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:16 pm

Hey, congrats to you and Terry on your wedding tomorrow! :wine: :beer: Hopefully you will have a tear for a honeymoon pretty soon. enjoy! :P
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:40 pm

Indeed, congratulations Johnny and Terry on your wedding!! A honeymoon in a teardrop, sounds like a perfect match. We wish you all the best.

Take Care,

Dave & Lisa
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby down under tech » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:10 pm

Debbie and Randy, Lisa and Dave: Thanks so much for your warm wishes for our wedding day. It has been so hectic this week getting all the last minute details completed. I was off this week for vacation and I am glad I took this week off. If Terry had to go through all of this herself, she would be a total wreck.

I was only able to work one the Silver Nugget one day. I did make the most of my time that one day though. We are going to take our honeymoon in June so we can build our reserves back up between now and then. I hope to get the Silver Nugget ready or at lest camp-able by then. That would be the best honeymoon I could think of. I can't wait until that first trip out in our new TD.
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:30 pm

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WEDDING.... I wish you all the happiness in the world. My best to you and your bride. :applause: :applause: :applause: I hope you find a campground that's not under a ton of snow in June. This has been quite a winter in the Sierra's :? :?
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby CliffinGA » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:36 pm

Johnny its looking good bud!! Don't worry Saturday (today right now) will take care of itself, Just remember to take a deep breath and don't lock your knees, and don't flub the vows :oops:!! :lol: I did it and its on tape!!!

Congrats to you both!!

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:31 am

Looks great guy!!!....I've been lurking...nice tear and congrats on the nuptials! Hope to meet up with you this coming camping season. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Update, 04-26-2011

Postby down under tech » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:22 am

Hey You Guys: I was able to get some things done on the "Silver Nugget" over the last few days. The weather has been windy and rainy for the last week. I put in time as I could when the weather broke. I spent this afternoon on it. I now have the inner ceiling plywood/luan glued and screwed in place. I was going top use hard board/press board to apply to the inner ceiling but I am going to cover it with the tin celling panels like I used in the galley, under the counter. I think the construction adhesive will hold better to the wood grain than the glossy surface of the hard board. I cut out the vent opening with my laminate trim router. The face frame for the inside is now finally mounted permanently as well. This is one of those milestones that I am glad I have completed.

I will remove the screws after the PL premium dries in a few days. I had to use two pieces to cover the inside. You can see the small piece at the bottom front near the floor. The lines will be used later when the oil rubbed bronze tin celling panels go in.

The opening for the Fan-Tastic Vent Fan.

The red oak face frame is there to stay now. This TD is getting really solid now.

Next is the insulation and to run the wires through the spars and to their termination points. It looks like tomorrow's weather will be a good for "tear drop time" as well. I hope so !!!
:applause: :D
Johnny D.

down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Postby DMcCam » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:41 am

She's looking great Johnny!!! You're getting a lot done even with our typical variable spring weather. Freezing by Friday and warm again on Sunday. Thank you for posting your progress pictures for us.

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals